Mac (My G5...had to be a mac).

Here's some advice, if you wanna live, don't touch :p

Lets see...I have:
TouchNDie (Desktop)
TouchNDie-Mobil (Laptop)
TND-Serv (Server)
Mac (My G5...had to be a mac).

Here's some advice, if you wanna live, don't touch :p

Hmm, sounds like really unstable systems. Most people would have a hard time trying to break one of mine. :p

The previous owner of my Compaq Portable III wrote "Snoopy 6" on the top cover. If you look at the Portable from the side, it sort of resembles Snoopy's dog house.

i name my netbuk according to its brand "LENO" from lenovo! hahaha!! like a dog! sit leno sit! but i named my desktop "hoy" since it is used mostly as a generalized calling sound here at our city! hahaha!! i like naming them makes me feel attached to it! hahhaa!!

I think that was my point with this thread. My computer names aren't just random thoughts. Some thought goes into naming each and every one so that it, and it's name fit into our network properly. My wife and I know exactly which computer we're talking about too. So if Enterprise has a problem, we both know immediately is't my desktop. Of course, Alice is a major topic lately. Not because of her name, but because she is taking up all of my pre-planned hobby expenses. I've been selling one piece of hardware in order to afford to buy something for Alice for a couple of months not. My Hobby budget was supposed to last the entire year. He, he. So just like Alice in Voyager, my Alice is a pretty demanding little witch.

(But I do love her so. )

I like to name things by a category. So, in my case, rivers. One could just as easily use Star Trek characters, species within the genus Lilium, names of the cranial nerves (limits you to 12 machines and takes a lot of typing), etc.

Random names don't work for me.

permanence.png

lol nice xkcd reference. My main computer has always been Alice although I admit I had some issues naming a new system Alice when the original was still around or broken. However that name was after the dos AI bot Alice. I had another system that was also usually on and named it Al. I enjoyed Strongbad's naming convention so I did name my Compaq Compy and later Compy786 (processor generation), etc. Sorta depends how I'm feeling but I don't follow any strict naming convention.

I like this forum, although I feel sort of out of place at times, specially here atm. I was given a decent electrical aptitude, am a natural collector, and have always appreciated outstanding things from the past. However, I have only been into computers since roughly 2000, although I had touched on them many times before that, and naturally comprehended numbers fairy well, giving me more reason to be intrigued by the vast numbers inside one of them. (I can be as easily intrigued gazing at the stars) I moved in to buying them in larger numbers about ten years ago, and attempting to entirely refurbish (a term used all too loosely these days, I think on ebay it means "dusted off a bit, maybe"?) each and every one, although after countless hours, days, weeks, months, and years, with two hours sleep, and another truckload to sort, found that to be rather hopeless, but I did manage to save a vast number of them and return them to a useful life, in a new home. It took a while to learn, and to accept the fact, that many of them were beyond my ability to place into new, productive lives, but as I sorted through them one by one, and as i removed the covers to look inside, I at least began to recognize a piece of art from another "random" computer, and those went on a (sturdy)shelf high up in a closet, but I still wasn't in to "vintage", at least, not that I knew of, but continued to rebuild the ones i could place, and find them new homes. I can't count the many i've built, and rebuilt, or the many I've named, or renamed. Some simply got the names of their owners, others I can't remember what, but for the last few years, when i reached the point of it asking for a name, it got the best thing i could think of at the time, without too much adieu. I didn't mean to offend, or belittle a finer name, actually I think that's great :)

I don't get why you would feel out of place. If anyone is out of place here, it's me. When I got into computers back in the 1970's, I was working with Radio Shack, so the TRS-80 was the computer I had access to. It wasn't until 1982 that I got into computer programming in college, and ran into the love of my life, the IBM 5150 Personal Computer. I knew then that I wanted one, but working for $2.35 and hour plus a meager commission, there was no way I could ever affor to buy one. I never get into a computer to see the insides until 1995 when Packard Bell came out with their Legend series, 75 MHz processor, 4 Megs of RAM and a 540 Meg hard disk. So I missed all of the technical issues surrounding adding hardware and software in DOS.

My time here with VCF has been a fantastic learning experience. And through it all, I actually got to refurbish the computer I have always wanted, PLUS an IBM 5161 Expansion Unit. I would never have gotten anywhere close to where I am without the members of these forums.

Why would I feel that I wouldn't fit in? Simply because I had to learn everything from scratch. Everyone here knew more than me, and they still do. Yet, I don't feel out of place at all. The one thing that draws us all together is our love for vintage computing. It doesn't matter what system you used, want, or collect. As long as you have a love for old computers, then this is the place to be.

I like this forum, although I feel sort of out of place at times, specially here atm. I was given a decent electrical aptitude, am a natural collector, and have always appreciated outstanding things from the past. However, I have only been into computers since roughly 2000, although I had touched on them many times before that, and naturally comprehended numbers fairy well, giving me more reason to be intrigued by the vast numbers inside one of them. (I can be as easily intrigued gazing at the stars) I moved in to buying them in larger numbers about ten years ago, and attempting to entirely refurbish (a term used all too loosely these days, I think on ebay it means "dusted off a bit, maybe"?) each and every one, although after countless hours, days, weeks, months, and years, with two hours sleep, and another truckload to sort, found that to be rather hopeless, but I did manage to save a vast number of them and return them to a useful life, in a new home. It took a while to learn, and to accept the fact, that many of them were beyond my ability to place into new, productive lives, but as I sorted through them one by one, and as i removed the covers to look inside, I at least began to recognize a piece of art from another "random" computer, and those went on a (sturdy)shelf high up in a closet, but I still wasn't in to "vintage", at least, not that I knew of, but continued to rebuild the ones i could place, and find them new homes. I can't count the many i've built, and rebuilt, or the many I've named, or renamed. Some simply got the names of their owners, others I can't remember what, but for the last few years, when i reached the point of it asking for a name, it got the best thing i could think of at the time, without too much adieu. I didn't mean to offend, or belittle a finer name, actually I think that's great :)

So go any of you have any interesting stories about how you named your computer, or am I the only real wierdo in the forums?

I started naming my main desktops around 2000. I've been building my own desktops from parts since 1993, but only started naming them in 2000 starting with my Athlon Thunderbird; no idea why I started then, but I did.

I name my machines based on what they'll be doing, or how powerful they seem to me compared to my older gear. I built a Core i7 with 12G RAM three years ago for the purpose of editing HD video -- still quite a powerful machine! -- and I call it THE COMBINE because it ingests everything and shreds it. I also bought a laptop for editing HD video on the go -- also powerful, but smaller, so its name is THRESHER. You see what I did there :) My NAS is FORTKNOX for obvious reasons. My firewalls are VORTEX and NEBULA, also for obvious reasons.

Other names are more utilitarian if they're not mine:

melbox: Melissa's laptop
minimax: Max's laptop
mightymite: Sam's small tiny-form-factor desktop
VidRigX: Older video rig using RTX.100 capture hardware

The only name that makes no damn sense at all is one of my border machines named THUNDERHOLE. I was a fan of Saul of the Mole Men, and come on, you can't resist a name like PROJECT THUNDERHOLE.

I name my computers through two methods:
#1 the more silly method, is naming them after the chap who sold/gave the computer to me. For example, Charlie.
#2 the more logical method, and the one I use practically, the first four digits of the model (in IBM model labelling), for example 6225.

I don't name my Vintage computers. They don't need names...there is enough personality in the model and I don't confuse them.

My three modern networked machine at home here ARE named though. One is Laertes (from Hamlet..contains a music library), one is "PII-Vintage" (my legacy machine..a PII of course and the other one (which I'm on now) is called "Vintage Shack" (out in my man cave/computer shack).

Tez

How I name my computers? How?
But of course, by writing the name in the appropriate configuration file!
:p

Now why didn't I think of that?!?!?! It would have saved me so much time trying to teach it to sit, stay, shake hands, Roll Over, get the paper, grab me a beer, answer the phone, etc. Oh, you're talking about the computer? LOL!

How I name my computers? How?
But of course, by writing the name in the appropriate configuration file!
:p

I don't name my computers, but one time when I got a new hard drive that was three times larger than the one I had before (I won't date myself by stating its exact capacity!), when formatting it, I assigned it the volume label "LOTSA ROOM".

If you'd have asked the question 20+ years ago, you'dve gotten several people who said that they named their systems after characters in "The Lord of the Rings", particularly if they were Unix systems...

I don't remember how many systems I ran into called "Frodo".

maybe i'm boring, but i don't often give my computers thought-out names. can't remember the last time i have. for example, a 450 MHz P3 box i set up with win7 the other week i simply typed in "shitbox" for the system hostname. i generally do something similar to that which just describes the system, or go even more boring and just name it by the type of CPU it has or form factor the system is.

Back