• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Howdy

Welcome to VCFED.

You don't tell us where you are. You can add that information if you like to your profile.

Dave

Welcome.

It'd be a good idea to show your location just in case there is someone close to you and help out with any issues.

Enjoy....

Thanks, I added some location info to the profile.

I guess I should add some experience level here. I am in awe of some of the expertise I see on the board and the collections thread is pretty darn impressive. I am nowhere near that level and am more than ok with that. I am not an EE or SE or a collector (as many of you are) or a historian, amateur or otherwise.

I started out using a few computers at school....there was a PDP-9 and in a closet there was a SOL-20 (which I did get to boot up but it would crash every 10-20 minutes, which explained to me why it was in a closet. Next up was a stat course where we had to use punch cards and JCL...I greatly resented the lack of control.

Bought a KIM-1 (from a tech whose brother worked at MOS). It was absolutely intriguing and I still admire the 6502 and its instruction set, even if it was erm,, related to Motorola's.

Next a TRS-80 M1...then M3. In between there was a Dynabyte Basic Controller and some scattered Pet/Atari/Apple experiences.

Then some more serious VAX and PDP-8e and 11/73 experiences [yeah, FORTRAN]....those coincided with the IBM clone invasion [and the introduction to C which just made better sense to me than BASIC). In between there was a healthy dollop of C-64 and a smattering of some PIC chips and a smattering of the odd piece here and there, e.g., Timex-Sinclair.

Nowadays, I enjoy embedded controllers and sensors and making stuff just because I can and have "earned the right" to do what I want, when I want, regardless of what anyone else thinks, says, or does (an illusion, I know, but, so what?).

Still curious after all these years....not a bad way to be, I think.

Back