• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm as/400

Actually, IBM i (formerly System i, iSeries, & AS400) command language (CL) is quite logical and easy to understand.

...in the same way that OS JCL is quite logical and easy to understand? (I've heard that one too...) :p

Why abbreviate? Why not use plain English and have the language be free-form? It's not as if the CPU was brain-dead.

Why abbreviate? Why not use plain English and have the language be free-form? It's not as if the CPU was brain-dead.

At a guess, memory is storage and storage used to be really expensive, each character uses storage = more cost.

Maybe the techs at IBM wanted the operators/programmers to at least appear to use a black art.

Just guesses.

leaknoil, what are you going to do with it now and whats todays update?

S

I cant even figure out how to find and launch and application. I know this system has a construction accounting package on it but, I haven't seen how to start it up.

Ok, the following may help you find out where the construction accounting package is and how to 'launch' it.

1. Start of by looking at what libraries are on the system (think of libraries as folders that are only 1 level deep). Enter the command "WRKLIB *ALL". Ignore any libraries starting with the letter Q; they are most likely OS/400 system libraries. Hopefully they will have a been setup with a tell-tale description.

2. Take a look in any potentially interesting libraries for program and/or data objects. Display the contents of a library using the command "DSPLIB libraryname". Programs will have an object type of *PGM and an attribute of RPG, RPGLE, CLP, etc.. Commands (those things that call programs) have an object type of *CMD, and data objects have a type of *FILE with an attribute of PF or PF38 for physical files (data) and LF or LF38 for logical files (indexes/logical views). You'll probably find loads of other object types, but I wont spoil your fun in finding out what they are :)

3. As most typical AS/400 packages would include a program library and a data library, you need to setup your library list (like the DOS search path - used to find programs and data, etc). Type the command EDTLIBL and press enter to edit your library list. Key in the names of libraries that you think may be the program and data libraries for this application.

4. If you previously found any commands (*CMD objects) in the libraries you have set in your library list, now is the time to try them out. Simply type the name of the command and press F4 (NOT the enter key). F4 will prompt the command, so hopefully you will see what the command actually is. If it doesn't look good, hit the F3 key to cancel that command. If it looks promising then press the enter key. You could also try calling some of the *PGM objects directly, but that can get tricky as you are unlikey to know what parameters are likely to be needed. But if you want to try, then type "CALL pgmname".

So, the above is very hit and miss (and there are other ways to find this stuff out), but it'll give you something to play with. At some point, your will almost certainly be presented with an error message that ask for a response of C,D,I or R (cancel, dump, ignore or retry). Worst case, just select cancel. You can position the cursor over the error message and press F1 for more help. Even if you cannot get the application running, you can still have a peek at any data you find lying around - one of the following should allow you to display any PF files you find:

DSPPFM libraryname/filename {optional-member-name}
This will display a physical file member. Oh, I forgot to say, that a physical file can have multiple data members. The physical file is the container and each member contains the actual data.

RUNQRY *N library/filename
This will run a query over the file.

STRSQL
This will start interactive SQL (assuming it is installed on this box). If it is you can then enter a command something like:
select * from library/filename

You are best off trying out the above whilst signed on as the QSECOFR profile as lesser profiles may not have sufficient authority and may not even be able to see, let alone run, some of the commands/programs.

AS/400s, iSeries, System-i, whatever IBM want to call it, it is a great system. I've been using the AS/400 since about 94 as a systems and security administrator and programmer. That's the day job. I've even got a little old one at home, a model 150 early risc baby system, vintage 1997.

Have fun
Steve

Right now I'm trying to figure out where to put it besides my kitchen table. There is twinaxe all over the kitchen now.

Whats the deal on replacing drives ? This appears to have three half height SCSI drives in it. I read somewhere that is uses a raid system. Can I just swap a drive with another of the same drive and have it rebuild the storage automatically ? One or more of the drives is making more noise then I really like to have near me.

I've only ever replaced AS/400 disks with those specifically designed for AS/400s, so not too sure. However, I seam to remember that you could use AS/400 scsi disks in a PC scsi system if you reformatted the disks to 512 byte blocks rather than the AS/400 520 byte block size (or something like that - it's been a while). I'm sure I was once told by an IBM engineer that the AS/400 checks something in the disks microcode.

Also, while it might use a raid subsystem, it doesn't necessarily mean the disks will be configured for raid. Try entering the work disks status command WRKDSKSTS. My box isn't powered up at the moment and I can't check at work until tomorrow to see just what it shows. I cannot remember how to check on the old CISC boxes, but on the RISC systems you can start the system service tools (command STRSST) to dispay and/or change the disk settings (amongst other things). On the CISC boxes, you may have to perform a manual IPL and follow the menu options to check/change the settings.

If one of the disks could be failing (or about to fail), it might be best to perform a system save to tape - you can at least reload the operating system from tape if needed. I'd hazard a guess that your box has a QIC120 tape device. If it has then get a bunch of these tapes, initialize them (command INZTAP - I'll get back to you with the correct parameters), then perform a system save (enter the command "GO SAVE", then select option 21).

Last edited:
It does have the QIC drive. Not sure what I have for tapes though. I know I have some.

I don't think the disks are failing. The noise isnt that bad. Its just louder then the others. Still a backup is probably a very good idea. Seems like getting the cisc os/400 might be pretty hard now days.

The tape device is most likely named TAP01, but you can check by entering the command "DSPHDWRSC TYPE(*STG)". You can then enter an option 9 (display associated resources) against any resource with a description of "Tape controller". Then just make a note of the tape unit resource name. Alternatively, just enter the command "WRKDEVD TAP*" to display a list of all devices that have a name starting TAP. The latter command will also show if the tape device is available to use (varied on). If it isn't, enter the appropriate option against the device to make it available (vary it on).

The terminology "available" or "varied on" that is displayed depends on your profiles assistance level. Try pressing function key F21 and changing your assistance level. This is a sticky option and appears independently for many of the OS/400 functions.

Anyway, assuming your tape device is TAP01, the command to initialise a tape to QIC120 format and give it a volume name of SYS001 would be:

INZTAP DEV(TAP01) NEWVOL(SYS001) CHECK(*NO) DENSITY(*QIC120)

Key the above command and then press F4 to prompt the command. There are many more options to this command. It has cursor sensitive help, so just position the cursor on any prompt that interests you and press F1.

As previously mentioned, entering "GO SAVE" will take you to the Save menu. From there option 21 will perform an entire system save. That'll prompt you for the tape device and other things - again position the cursor and hit F1 for help.

INZTAP, the start of many an evenings overtime for me! :D
Those drives are quite slow, takes about 20 minutes for one to be filled, make sure you initialized enough tapes before you start....

S

How do I find out what the specs of the machine are ? CPU, ram, and hd. I'm having a pretty hard time on google getting past the 10,000 people that are trying to sell replacement parts to any real info about the machine. it is a model 9402 C04 I think. No idea if it has been upgraded at all over the years.

Is there any OS options to list this info out ?

To list the system config:

1. Start the system service tools by entering the command STRSST
2. At the System Service Tools screen, select "Start a service tool".
3. At the Start a Service Tool screen, select "Hardware service manager".
4. At the Hardware Service Manager screen, press function key F6 (print configuration).
5. Press function key F3 (exit) until you exit STRSST.

You've now got a spool file (printer output) that shows your system configuration. As you haven't got a printer attached yet, you can view it using the Work Spool File command. Enter WRKSPLF, then if you've got lots of spool files under your profile, press function key F18 to go to the last screen of spool files. You are looking for a spool file called QPCSMPRT (at least that's what it is called under OS/400 version 4 release 5).

Last edited:
Forgot to say, you can also run the Print System Information PRTSYSINF command.

This one generate a whole load of spool files, each containing information such as list of libraries, folders, hardware resources, system values, network attributes, installed ptfs (program temporary fixes), power on/off schedules, subsystem descriptions, software resources (installed licenced os/400 programs) and more...

I'm having a pretty hard time on google getting past the 10,000 people that are trying to sell replacement parts to any real info about the machine. it is a model 9402 C04 I think.

You can download an IBM AS/400 CISC System Builder Redpaper (pdf) at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp0042.html?Open

Chapter 3 covers the 9402 C, D, E and F models. You will be able to reference the feature codes listed here with those printed from STRSST (post number 50 above).

Last edited:
To list the system config:

1. Start the system service tools by entering the command STRSST
2. At the System Service Tools screen, select "Start a service tool".
3. At the Start a Service Tool screen, select "Hardware service manager".
4. At the Hardware Service Manager screen, press function key F6 (print configuration).
5. Press function key F3 (exit) until you exit STRSST.

I don't have a 'Hardware service manager' option there but, I think I found what I was after under 'Work with disk units'. Its confusing though. It lists something called ASP 1 with three units under it. All type 6102 Model 010. The ASP 1 lists itself as 960 size 75.65% used. Each of the three units under it are listed as 320 size 75% used (+/- 0.3) each.

Protected is listed as 0/0.00% for everything. Does this mean I have three 320mb drives arranged as a single 960mb partition ? Thats a whole lot of qic 120 tapes. I think I might have 2.

How can I find out what is taking up all the room ? How big is the OS anyway ?

Also, how do I scroll a list where I have More.... at the bottom ?

Last edited:
I don't have a 'Hardware service manager' option...
That's IBM for you. :rolleyes: You'd often find things had 'moved' following a release upgrade. I seam to recall that the Hardware service manager option was new at one of the early releases, possible v3r1. You'll probably have to look through the other STRSST menu options looking for the list config option, or try the PRTSYSINF command (again, assuming it is available at your release).

The ASP 1 lists itself as 960 size 75.65% used. Each of the three units under it are listed as 320 size 75% used (+/- 0.3) each. Protected is listed as 0/0.00% for everything. Does this mean I have three 320mb drives arranged as a single 960mb partition ?
In a nutshell, yes. The Auxiliary storage pool (ASP) is similar to a partition covering one or more disk units. You always have ASP 1, and can configure other disks into ASP 2 through to 16. The 'big boys' would often have their data in one ASP and the journaling (before and after images of record changes) in another ASP. The 0/0.00% protected implies your disks are not raid protected.

How can I find out what is taking up all the room ? How big is the OS anyway ?
So you got about 726mb of OS, programs, data, etc, spread across your 3 disks. Again, there are mutiple ways of skinning this cat (some of it depends on what is available at your OS release). Try the following:

1. Enter this command to submit a job to retrieve the disk information:
SBMJOB CMD(RTVDSKINF)
This will take a while to run (possibly hours, but you can carry on tinkering while it does its thing) as it looks at all of the objects in all of the libraries and stores the results in file QEAZDISK in library QUSRSYS. You can check that the job is still running by using the Work Active Jobs WRKACTJOB command - you should see it running under subsystem QBATCH.

When it has finished, run the command PRTDSKINF. Prompt it with F4 and select what type of info you want. Then view the spool files produced.

If the RTVDSKINF/PRTDSKINF options aren't available at your release, then you'll have to go for the following more basic command:
DSPLIB LIB(*ALL) OUTPUT(*PRINT)
You'll then have to trawl through the spool file - the print option (as apposed to display option, 'OUTPUT(*)', shows the the total size of each library in bytes at the end of each library listing.

If you just want to save the operating system and ignore the user data, enter GO SAVE and select menu option 22 instead - that'll just save the system data only. Put your cursor over the menu text and hit F1 for help on what it'll do.

Also, if you do start off a system save and run out of tapes, the worst thing that'll happen is you have to cancel the backup, re-INZTAP those and some more tapes and then start again - been there, done that, got the T-shirt and a box full of spare initialised tapes :rolleyes:

Also, how do I scroll a list where I have More.... at the bottom ?
If you've got a proper twinax terminal, look for keys marked roll up and roll down (can't remember if you have to hold down an alt key or something like when using the roll keys. Also confusing, at first, is that roll up actually moves the screen content up so that it appears as though you are paging down and roll down does the opposite:rolleyes: - you tend to forget these things after many years of using page up and down on terminal emulation software)

I've mentioned it a few times already, but one of the most invaluable things about this system is the cursor sensitive help. Just stick the cursor anywhere on any screen, whether it is a prompt, menu text, error message, whatever, and hit F1 for help. It certainly makes life easier when you are learning the system ;)

Last edited:
You may find this nugget useful, to display a list of installed licenced OS programs enter the command "GO LICPGM", then select the menu option to display installed licensed programs. When there, pressing F11 should display the release level. What release is installed on you box?

BTW, this came with a few modems. What options do I have for accessing those and where do they connect ? Is that what the one DB25 if for ?
I'd say the modems were used to connect your 5394 remote controller. The AS/400 and 5394 should both have a DB25 connector.

You may find this nugget useful, to display a list of installed licenced OS programs enter the command "GO LICPGM", then select the menu option to display installed licensed programs. When there, pressing F11 should display the release level. What release is installed on you box?

Looks like I have V2R3M0 installed. The CMAS II stuff doesn't show up under this but, is installed and shows up when I do that IPL manual boot. Is this only showing me installed OS options ?

Here's what I have installed. Just standard OS stuff correct ?

OS/400 - Library QGPL
OS/400 - Library QUSRSYS
Operating System/400
OS/400 - Extended Base Support
OS/400 - Online Information
OS/400 - Online Education
OS/400 - S/36 and S/38 Migration
OS/400 - System/36 Environment
OS/400 - System/38 Environment
OS/400 - Example Tools Library
OS/400 - AFP Compatibility Fonts
OS/400 - *PRV CL Compiler Support
PC Support/400
PC Support/400 - PC DOS Programs
PC Support/400 - DBCS (DOS)
PC Support/400 - OS/2 Programs
PC Support/400 - DBCS (OS/2)
Application Development Tools/400 - SEU
Query/400
SAA RPG/400
SAA OfficeVision/400

Interestingly enough one of the options in that menu is to create a distribution tape for redistribution . Does this mean I can make a complete clean OS tape to reinstall this and other as/400 from ? Can I even install the OS without that system password ? If I bypass it it says something about 70 days remaining.

I take it the last version of os/400 for my machine is V3R2. How hard would it be to get installation media for that outside of IBM and could I even install it without the system password ? How many tapes would a full release take ?

This system has some online training courses on it but, everyone seems to generate a error after I try and start it. I even tried from different accounts. I just get a "Module presentation ended abnormally." message after it loads for a bit. Anyway to repair these or am I doing something wrong ?

I'd say the modems were used to connect your 5394 remote controller. The AS/400 and 5394 should both have a DB25 connector.

That makes sense. What about the two parallel printers that came with this ? Would they connect to the terminals ? Some have a female db25 in addition to the db15 twinax. I know its a printer port but, that usually mean serial printer.

Last edited:
OK so after searching around I just want to see if I have this correct. I wanted this seperate from the other post because its a bit important.

The CISC boxes are all node locked licenses and require a valid license for the OS to boot. You can bypass the license and run whatever you want for 70 days before you can't boot and have to completely reinstall from the OS tapes. You can then star another 70 day bypass. Is this basically correct ?

I keep getting the message "System password bypass period will end in 70 days" in the system messages every time I boot. Could the battery to whatever stored my licenses have died leaving this basically unlicensed ? This would explain why I get the Valid System Password not found screen when I do that manual 2B boot.

So, will I basically have a brick in 69 days ?

I am also getting a Service Processor Failed error every boot as well. Could this also be related to a battery somewhere ? The error is Return code X'022' was received from the service processor. It mentions more detail in a VLOG file. Where does one find these vlog files ?

Last edited:
...Is this only showing me installed OS options ?

Here's what I have installed. Just standard OS stuff correct ? ...
Yep, it just shows the standard OS/400 LPPs (licenced program products).

Interestingly enough one of the options in that menu is to create a distribution tape for redistribution . Does this mean I can make a complete clean OS tape to reinstall this and other as/400 from ?
You can use that option to create distribution tape in order to load the LPPs on another AS/400. However, I don't think you can do an OS install from one of these tapes. For that you'd need a bootable OS install tape (as produced by GO SAVE then options 21 or 22).

I take it the last version of os/400 for my machine is V3R2. How hard would it be to get installation media for that outside of IBM and could I even install it without the system password ? How many tapes would a full release take ?
Yep, V3R2 was the last OS produced for the old CISC boxes. You'd have to get it from somewhere other than IBM - they discontinued it a long time ago. If you could find another company with a v3r2 box and they would let you 'borrow' one of their system saves (assuming is was on QIC120 media), then you could do an install from that. It might be easier finding hens teeth.:shock:

This system has some online training courses on it but, everyone seems to generate a error after I try and start it. I even tried from different accounts. I just get a "Module presentation ended abnormally." message after it loads for a bit. Anyway to repair these or am I doing something wrong ?
Difficult to say whats going wrong without know what the error messages are. :confused:

That makes sense. What about the two parallel printers that came with this ? Would they connect to the terminals ? Some have a female db25 in addition to the db15 twinax. I know its a printer port but, that usually mean serial printer.
What model of printer are they? Some of these printers can be configured to run as twinax or parallel printers. For the AS/400 you really want to use twinax printers - you would be suprised at just how much control the AS/400 has over twinax printers!

OK so after searching around I just want to see if I have this correct. I wanted this seperate from the other post because its a bit important.

The CISC boxes are all node locked licenses and require a valid license for the OS to boot. You can bypass the license and run whatever you want for 70 days before you can't boot and have to completely reinstall from the OS tapes and starte another 70 day bypass. Is this basically correct ?
Almost... There is a hardware bypass period and an OS or software bypass. For the software password, it's basically as you say - supply the password or re-install the software every time it expires. However, you appear to be experiencing the hardware password request. I'm afraid there's nowt you can re-install once that expires. I've only come across this one a couple of times in the past and it was due to either a major change to the hardware (such as processor change) or the system being powered off for an extended period of time.

I keep getting the message "System password bypass period will end in 70 days" in the system messages every time I boot. Could the battery to whatever stored my licenses have died leaving this basically unlicensed ? This would explain why I get the Valid System Password not found screen when I do that manual 2B boot.

So, will I basically have a brick in 69 days ?
Yes, a big brick, boat anchor, land fill material.... Your only course of action is to speak to IBM. I did just that about 12 years ago. I'd been given an old AS/400 model B10 - the original 1st model of AS/400. It had been powered off for an extended period of time and the battery had died. I replaced the battery but kept getting the bypass password request. Anyway, at the time I was lucky, the company I worked for also had an AS/400 so I called their IBM business partner. They gave me a number for IBM. I called them and explained the problem and that if I didn't get it resolved, the system would be scrapped. I also said it was only being used to test some comms between AS/400s. As I said, I was lucky. I completed a form they sent me (giving details of the box and stating the box belonged to the company I worked for, even though it didn't) and was duely provided with a bypass password.

Some more details on bypass pasword can be found here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/rzahc/syspass.htm

I am also getting a Service Processor Failed error every boot as well. Could this also be related to a battery somewhere ? The error is Return code X'022' was received from the service processor. It mentions more detail in a VLOG file. Where does one find these vlog files ?
Take a look in the system service tools STRSST. Once there, select the option to start a service tool, and from there one of the options will allow you to display a service log.

Last edited:
Back