• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM SCSI w/cache in PS/2 Model 50 troubles

Thanks! Does patriot make it booting from SCSI device? It's the main point to make system usable without too much DJ skills.

sure it did, that's the whole point :)
when i said it didn't have all the flavor of spock controller, it's because those controller are busmaster/DMA capable.
patriot is a PIO card, so it'll eat some cpu, but better this than nothing of course.

It became better! Thanks!
I've bought a Patriot, it sets up, and reboots without troubles.
Can't make it see the partitions yet though. It gives me 0210000U error ("Unknown Size" according to Hardware Maintenance Manual) when I try to Format Fixed disk via refdisk advanced mode. But no boot errors. It sees two SCSI disks in advanced tests menu but can't do anything about them with that 0210000U error
Will test with different images

Uh, you could try FD_MCS700_361.ZIP, The latest IBM BIOS for the Patriot was 1.01 [released about the same time], but the FD BIOS is unencumbered with IBM turbo-diddling. FD and IBM BIOS Differences IBM BIOS scans 6-0, FD scans 0-6. The Patriot was used in the IDE-based Lacuna. As such, it does support Int4b, it can lay a convenience partition, but can't use it. -BUT- the 8550 is ROM based, and does not have the IML requirements [SCSI ID 6, Int4b support]

Future Domain MCS-700 page. You can use the FD utilities [PowerSCSI!] which are pretty good. Try the FD itself at SCSI ID7 [nothing unusual] and set up your two partitions on the SD card as SCSI ID0 and SCSI ID1.

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess 361 is BIOS image and I need a EPROM programmer/flasher thingy to write it, something like this? Looks decent, are there any cheaper alternatives, perhaps slightly less feature-rich?

Mine has IBM BIOS 1.01 btw, according to sticker

sure, if you want a very decent programmer, you can look at the TL866II plus.
it wasn't very expensive as new, now i'm sure you can find it second hand for very cheap.

Replacing the IBM 1.01 BIOS with the FD 3.61 BIOS should do you, can't say for sure, I don't have a ZuluSCSI. There is one annoyance with a Patriot in a system with no power plugs [50 and 70], you cannot easily find power for a SCSI device.

The ZuluSCSI can probably work just fine off the SCSI Termpower off the Patriot. To enable Termpwr, jumper W1 [between F1 and 50 pin SCSI header]. -BUT- if for some reason, it won't reliably work off Termpwr, you can solder a 4 pin Molex to J3, or solder in the wires onto the holes.

If you wandt the filtering caps,
C2,C5 - 16v 10uf electrolytic capacitors
C3,C4 - 16v 0.1uf Ceramic SMD Capacitors

Josh Behrends wendt through the trouble of measuring the MLCC SMD capacitors.

Original message ----------------////

Wanted to provide some missing information on the SCSI page under this section:
https://ardent-tool.com/SCSI/MCS.html#Patriot_Power

I own an MCS-700 SCSI adapter that has the capacitors which are missing on the IBM SCSI-2 "Patriot" SCSI adapter. In the picture posted on the site, the two electrolytic capacitors (C2 and C5) are 16v 10uf capacitors. I un-soldered one of the MLCC SMD capacitors (C3 and C4 )and measured it with my multimeter and they are 0.1uf and would probably be the same voltage of 16v.
---------------------------------------///

Both my zuluscsi and scsi2sd work fine out of termination power. At least FDSDA and FDDSU see all partitions and able to test them, format and perform "surface" check.
Still can't see the drives in dos though. Will see if they have any black Friday deals on eprom writers

> Still can't see the drives in dos though.

I never used FD utilities. Does PCDOS or MSDOS FDISK notice anything?

I just booted from dos 6.22 installation disks and it works! Installer formatted all my partitions on the scsi2sd without asking anything, love the simpler times :), it was expected, though.
Just booted out of of scsi, nice.
Thank you all, especially for the Patriot tip, I was ready to offload the system, but it seems it will work me some 286 fun yet.

No bios flashing necessary for now.

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpeg
    IMG_2558.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
To put an end to this saga, I recently got a Model 70, and it seems it's true, Spocks can't really work in 16 bit systems. Spock works fine with zuluSCSI on 8570-121 (386 20Mhz) with no troubles alongside with ESDI HDD
Spock Prime not so much, it sets up OK but after reboot shows some errors, probably defective indeed. Does not matter, 1 working Spock is enough for me

Back