• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Is this apple ii working?

is Apple DOS in ROM or on disk? what would be a sensible price to pay? Do you need a specific monitor or will a tv do?

I don't own an Apple II, but in America, I think they had built in NTSC tuners (Correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe this one has a PAL tuner.

(BASIC is on ROM. If it was on disk, there'd be alot less working Apple II's today.)

so apples can use a tv then? good if they do, I don't want to have to source a big clunky apple-only monitor. I always did wonder why they didnt introduce a monitor standard for older computers...or at least a bit earlier.Would have saved a lot of trouble

Most older machines can use a "standard" composite monitor. Almost all of the mass-produced machines can (Atari, Apple, Commodore, etc.) and many of the earlier systems could as well. I've got an adaptor that allows my screw-in composite Sol-20 and Northstar systems to plug into regular old monitors.

An RF modulator effectively turns a TV into a mediocre composite monitor.

So in theory, a Monitor (or TV for that matter) could work with most computers within reason so long as the right cable was used?

Correct - taking NTSC vs. PAL (if I got that right) into consideration, yes.

Aha! So instead of worrying about cluttering up my workspace with CUBs and clunky CRT's for each computer, I only need to keep a few and try and source cables for them. That makes things much simpler.

...unless there's a VERRY slim chance that there where SECAM-based Apple //'s, all you should need is an RF-Unit (Which is sold at any RadioShack for -$5) or a whatever-port-to-Composite-RCA-connector-Output-thing cable.

...unless there's a VERRY slim chance that there where SECAM-based Apple //'s, all you should need is an RF-Unit (Which is sold at any RadioShack for -$5) or a whatever-port-to-Composite-RCA-connector-Output-thing cable.
Whuh? :confused:

OK, maybe this will make things easier. There's 3 television signal formats. Here in the US, we use NTSC. In Europe & Africa, they use PAL & SECAM. One format device won't work with another format TV without certain equipment to alter the signal. The Apple // you plan to buy will most likely work on your TV flawlessly, Assuming your TV is a PAL.

Ah, sorry, I didnt realise we had drifted back to the original topic :) I know what pal and ntsc are, never heard of secam.

We never used SECAM here in "Brittain"... only PAL

BTW, most British TV's can handle NTSC signals, newer ones can sometimes handle SECAM too, so it's not usually a problem :)

OK, this isn't a spelling-bee!:D

I know that alot of TV's in europe/africa/middle-east can handle NTSC, even some older ones, (I've been to Egypt before, & even in the villages where all the houses are made out of mud & straw, a large percentage of the housholds have a TV, & half the time they can handle NTSC) but I wasn't sure about SECAM.

What country uses SECAM again?

Back