• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ISA USB board

No, Mass storage only, USB Flash drive, hard drive, SD / CF in a USB adapter though YMMV with the Chinese driver's. Google for CH375B and CH376S data sheets.
Isn't a CD-ROM a mass storage device as well? I can use my backpack external CDrom on my 5160 with Dos drivers.

Isn't a CD-ROM a mass storage device as well? I can use my backpack external CDrom on my 5160 with Dos drivers.
I tried a CD-ROM drive on mine a long time ago and it was a no-go, AFAIK it's USB Flash devices / Hard drives for the CH375B, I have heard the CH376S can handle HID devices like USB Keyboard / Mouse, CD-ROM i dunno, May do if you can write / find compatible drivers ?

Ok so from what I am hearing its a limitation of the chipset/controller than.
Yep, I'm realy only interested in the USB Flash drive / Hard drive support, It would be nice if there were better / faster driver's available though.

@Ruud

I'm referring to the zipfile CH375X86.zip mentioned prior and in the other mentioned thread (and on archive.org)

Yep, I'm realy only interested in the USB Flash drive / Hard drive support, It would be nice if there were better / faster driver's available though.
I forgot most of the x86 ASM I knew in the 90s.. the only one(s) really that I know of with that skillset are Ruud, Chuck(G) and James (pearce_jj.. who seems to have dropped off the planet)..

in the aformentioned zipfile(s) there's source (how much is disassembled vs original, I have no idea)
Another good reference source is the BIOSes for the EMM mainboards (https://github.com/homebrew8088/8088-PC-Compatible and https://gitlab.com/hakfoo1/v40-bios (Disclosure: I contributed a fair bit to this one))

These boards use a CH376S module (which is supposed to be compatible with the CH375), as a hard disc substitute. If you take a look at disc.asm on the Gitlab link, it's pretty much boxed up as a full option ROM.

It will likely not be compatible as-is with the ISA card, because that lives at a different address, and operates in polled mode rather than using the module's ability to assert an interrupt. There's also a lot of duplication because it has code paths for "real" 8088/8086, and a faster path for V20/V40/186+. But if you're just interested in how to talk to the chip, it should be very useful.

I looked at the Toughdev site while working on one of the EMM boards, and didn't get very far with it. I don't know what that BIOS does internally, but it was not just a matter of "change the port number and hope it works".

LGR appears to have done a Blerb on the cards.. so expect them to start selling more.. lol

LGR appears to have done a Blerb on the cards.. so expect them to start selling more.. lol
Haha, He should have used a PC/XT, If folk buy them expecting to play games they are going to be disappointed. A 486 would have been a better choice but i'm not a gamer.

FYI, I'm using a 2G USB stick w/ a 512M image i created and dumped onto it
Have you done a speed test ?, I just did another speed test using a 512Mb CF and a 4Gb flash drive ( 2Gb Partition ) I'm getting about 14 KB/s using the DOS driver in my 5160 with stock CPU. Not great i know but better than the floppy.

Hehe, cool. I saw LGR posted a video on this card yesterday (he put it in his IBM PC AT), and apparently now Kevin Moonlight (YYZKEVIN) from Vogons did a "proof-of-concept" for a PCMCIA version. Probably would not put it in my Tandy 1000 (not enough slots) but it's tempting to grab a few for the Versa Dock, my Deskpro, and my 486 desktop if trying one out proves useful as a way of spoon-feeding over software without floppies.

Have you done a speed test ?, I just did another speed test using a 512Mb CF and a 4Gb flash drive ( 2Gb Partition ) I'm getting about 14 KB/s using the DOS driver in my 5160 with stock CPU. Not great i know but better than the floppy.
I haven't.. though I use io speed setting 3 (default).. I guess I'll do a crude test later today.

Hehe, cool. I saw LGR posted a video on this card yesterday (he put it in his IBM PC AT), and apparently now Kevin Moonlight (YYZKEVIN) from Vogons did a "proof-of-concept" for a PCMCIA version. Probably would not put it in my Tandy 1000 (not enough slots) but it's tempting to grab a few for the Versa Dock, my Deskpro, and my 486 desktop if trying one out proves useful as a way of spoon-feeding over software without floppies.
my Tandy 1000sx has a parallel port sd card for aux storage... so bout similar speedish.

I'm a little salty here because I goddamn know I talked about these here five or six or so years ago and nobody cared. I couldn't get anyone to get motivated to even try them out because everyone was getting hung up on it not working out of the box.
Now suddenly, they're hot.

I'm a little salty here because I goddamn know I talked about these here five or six or so years ago and nobody cared. I couldn't get anyone to get motivated to even try them out because everyone was getting hung up on it not working out of the box.

I vaguely recall years ago someone posted a 16-bit ISA USB card on here and I was all about going out to get one, then struggled like heck to find that card so I gave up.

Well if it helps any I remember that. And I'm still not interested. :p

Frankly 14 KB/s is pathetic. It's half the speed of a floppy drive.

I haven't.. though I use io speed setting 3 (default).. I guess I'll do a crude test later today.
I had mine on 2 but just changed it to 0 and re-ran the test's about 18.50 KB/s now and seem's stable.

Back