• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I've stumbled upon an idea...

atari2600a

Veteran Member
Maybe I could start a computer & video-game museum here in Sacramento. I know, kinda retarded as it's ~130 miles away from the famed "Computer History Museum", but it'd have a different feel to it, as it'd be more video-game & home computer oriented (whereas the Vintage Computer Museum has more of the big stuff, like mainframes & whatnot...).

I'd also probably throw in some visitor-playable exhibits with some of the more easy to come by machines, like the NES & Commodore 64, & maybe some Pac-Man machines...

Since I just started really thinking about it (the idea has been floating around in my head for probably like half a year), I'm thinking I could plan it out within a matter of 2-3 years.

So here's my question: Do any of you think a foundation would grant me a measly $50K? Any comments? Advice? Insults?:p

Sounds like a great idea!. I know a few people who share that same plan, but don't have the financing. One even turned and old chickenhouse into a museum/recycling center. I think you should carefully plan it all out and look into the Small Business Admin. They do have grants and low interest loans for fresh idea's and learn to network and connect with as many people as you can.
Age doesn't matter if you have a good plan, and some expertice in the subject.

THIS IS, STILL AMERICA and idea's can become reality..

I think it's a great idea but Luke's point probably has some merit.

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't pursue it; it just means that you'll have to be more convincing.

Best of luck!

THIS IS, STILL AMERICA and idea's can become reality..

Writing my first message I tough about Poland...
So maybe in America this is possible, if so good luck ;).

Defiance of age is practically illegal here. (Anyone who doesn't believe me, check the 14th amendment)

By the time I have it all planned out, I'd be over 18 anyways.

Thinking about it more, I'd probably include multimedia like laserdiscs & gramophones & outdated storage mediums...

Last edited:
Maybe I could start a computer & video-game museum here in Sacramento. I know, kinda retarded as it's ~130 miles away from the famed "Computer History Museum", but it'd have a different feel to it, as it'd be more video-game & home computer oriented (whereas the Vintage Computer Museum has more of the big stuff, like mainframes & whatnot...).

I'd also probably throw in some visitor-playable exhibits with some of the more easy to come by machines, like the NES & Commodore 64, & maybe some Pac-Man machines...

Since I just started really thinking about it (the idea has been floating around in my head for probably like half a year), I'm thinking I could plan it out within a matter of 2-3 years.

So here's my question: Do any of you think a foundation would grant me a measly $50K? Any comments? Advice? Insults?:p

I would say anything is possible, but you want to think practically as well. Themes need to be focused and covered well to generate draw. When you consider the somewhat virtual places (as even this site is) & emulation to play the old games on modern hardware many people don't even have to leave their homes.

Try hosting or going to the meets that other people do annually. That is your target group. A good location is very critical, but think of the days you might have everything open & no one comes by. Even if you get a grant, how long does $50K cover the display floorspace & operational cost? Outside of a few hours' drive visitors will be somewhat limited, and if the displays stay static then people will start to get bored.

Youth gives you energy. Age will give you experience. Sorry, even I haven't figured out how to easily get money, especially in quantity.

And....

When you get in the Mid 40s range, not many employers are interested anymore (as I found out the hard way).

Better figure out a lucrative self employed business LOL.

I'm thinking charging $5-$10 for admission would cover the bills.

Let's say $10: 15 visitors per day (at least) X $10 admission = $150 per day X 30 days in a month = $4500 per month - 2 employees working 8 hours $8 an hour = $660 - electric = $310 = profit

I know right now these numbers are REALLY rough, but that seems to be the basic idea right now. Remember, these are (in part) VIDEO GAMES we're talking about here, so I know there'd be at least SOME appeal to the average public.

I'd of course have to buy a used building...

EDIT: I forgot tax didn't I...

And water and sewer and garbage collection and health insurance and fica tax and saving for building improvements/repairs.

It's really difficult to say how popular it would be. At the Oklahoma Vintage Game Exhibition the older games would occupy the under-20 group for a few minutes at best. One exception was an 8 year old girl and her mom who played tennis (think Pong) on a Magnavox Odyssey for at least an hour.

Perhaps you could look into being sponsored by a tax-exempt group...

Kent

Check with your county clerk. Round here you can start your own non-profit for a ~$20.00 DBA filing fee. You could always take in donor machines, etc, fix 'em up, and re-distribute to the needy in your area. That might make it easier to qualify for grants, etc. BTW, if you find moneys available, I have some past experience in writing (successful) grant applications, and I can help.

--T

Back