• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.

Jazz 2G and 1G cartridge images

kb2syd

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a Jazz 2G or 1G that they could do a raw dd of and compress and send to me?

I want to see if I can re-write the low level data so I can use what I have under DOS. Right now I can't partition or format what I have because all of the disks were formatted by an industrial SCSI interface. Formatting fails at the end on all the drives. If I put them back into the old machine they format and work flawlessly.

I have both sizes of drive. I don't have the utility disk for either or I'd try that first.

Thanks,
Kelly

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
What does that entail?

I have 2 external 1gb Jazz drives and a few disks. I havent used them in year, so I am not 100% sure they work (they did last time I tried them).

Let me know what I have to do, and I'll do it for you.

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
I'll see what I can do about testing them tonight. I am fairly certain that they work.

DreadStorm

Experienced Member
I have a 2GB drive and blanks, but I don't know what you mean by 'dd'...

And they're installed and working on this machine I'm using now.

kb2syd

Veteran Member
dd is a tool under linux/unix/xenix that will dump the raw contents of a disk to an image file (as well as a lot of other interesting things).

I'm hoping that a dd image of a working disk can then be written back to a non working disk and restore the missing bits and whatever custom junk Iomega decided needed to be there.

Right now, I cannot FDISK/FORMAT them to FAT with any tools I have under DOS or WFW 3.11. I can put them back into the AKAI and re-format and re-use them there, but not on a PC.

One thing I might try if I can't get a dd image is formatting for FAT under Linux.

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
Do you still need the image or the tools? I have the CD and tested my disks and found most of them work.

kb2syd

Veteran Member
Yes, I still need images. Let me know how big they are after compression and I can set up ftp access, or you can upload them to rapidshare or something similar.

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I will see what I can do over the weekend, my disks are 1gb disk though.

I had 2 disks that were bad, but I managed to fix via format under DOS using the GUIUtil.exe that comes with the iomega software, nothing else would read the disks.

PM me and I can possibly just send you that utility.

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
Still intend to send you the info, just havent had the chance to boot up Linux on a machine with one of my Jaz drives connected.

It won't be a tools disk, as it appears my tools disk when belly up on me and I had to format it with the IOMEGA guiutils to get it to work again.