• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 2X: Replacing keyboard RJ11 recepticle?

MissArgent

Veteran Member
So, I bagged a Kaypro 2X at VCF Midwest. It's in working shape, but the keyboard receptacle seems to have given up on life on the way home. Broke into multiple pieces, so we're past the point where Cyanoacrylate would help - Will any old receptacle do? is there a specific compatible socket type or good substitute available anywhere? Thanks!

8Mzo65U.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same problem - did we confirm this is an RJ9/11/22 socket ?

Would be great to identify an exact replacement part number if possible (ideally from mouser/digikey). Have seen quite a few with bodged hot glue to 'make it fit'

Thanks

I have the same problem - did we confirm this is an RJ9/11/22 socket ?

Would be great to identify an exact replacement part number if possible (ideally from mouser/digikey). Have seen quite a few with bodged hot glue to 'make it fit'

Thanks

Hello. The connector is rj9/11/22 616P which is found on old Princess telephones. Have found them only in Ebay or country specific sites like alibaba and eastern Europe Rs components: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Princess-Phone-702-2702-Modular-Handset-Jack-616p-SKU-20223-/192259553180 and: https://www.rcscomponents.kiev.ua/product/gnezdo-yh-109-616p-rj9-s-provodami_2631.html. Keywords are 616P and Princess for original look. Mine is broken also. Too bad shipping on that Ebay sale is expensive to Europe, anyone want to ship one? :)

I think that none of those is correct looking, if you are hunting authentic connector. Two of those are very close though.

P3

Note that the text under the image says:

"Images are for reference only
See Product Specifications"

So, you have to disregard the pic and look at the datasheet, where I can assure you, the part is exactly the same. I have a few of them here and they fit perfectly.

Jim

I also just got some from Mouser and they are indeed the correct ones. The wiring colors is different but easily adpated to the connector on the board

Thank you very much brain

Yep, it looks exactly like that. It is a bit snug, as I recall, since it slides into the metal, and I don't know if the manufacturer paid *THAT* close to the tolerances on those channels, but it fit (nice and tight) and made quick work of fixing the connector.

Jim

Thank you very much Jim for the info!
Could i ask in this thread that how long and what kind of cable is between keyboard and computer? Any links for that?
Mine is missing that too
Thanks.
P3

Looks like a standard part, at least for the time. The jack is a Dupont 616P, do a search on ebay for 616p. Still a few out there as of this post. Just bought one myself.

It's definitely a 616P and still in production, as Jim's post (#7 above) at Mouser Electronics link shows. I recently found the same part at Digikey:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/hirose-electric-co-ltd/TM1R-616P44-35S-150M/1136167

Also, I've been (slowly) collecting links to current sources of Kaypro parts in this thread in the Kaypro Group:

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/where-to-get-kaypro-replacement-parts.1238458/

If anyone finds other sources for Kaypro parts that aren't in the thread, please add a post to it there.

Ebay is fine for searching, but if you already know exactly were the part is sold you can avoid the hassle.

What type of connector is on the other end of the keyboard connector?

I've seen them many times before, but trying to find a part with a vague description on Mouser is really difficult.

Same on both ends.

I should have been more clear. The connector on the pin header on the keyboard circuit board.

I have the 616P parts. But they end in bare wires. I want to add a connector to them so that I can plug it in to the keyboard pin header.

The connector on the pin header on the keyboard circuit board.

I thought that is what you were looking for. I haven't tracked this part down yet, or seen anyone else post a replacment part link. I'll see if I can find the part for you (and all of us) over the weekend.

Back