• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

KAYPRO and KayFreHD as a hard disk module

Would it be easier just to use the Z80 L shaped adaptor with this machine?

Yes, this is a good question as I have an original Kaypro 2 (2/83) system also, I would be handy to use the same adapter for both.

Back to the subject of my un-populated 21/84 board, is this common? In other words, do most non hard-disk equipped Kaypro's with
"84" boards have J9 (and the associated logic) populated?

My guess is that there is a lot of "stripped" 84 type boards like mine out there.

Rick

Last edited:
AFAIK, that is a "universal" board and is found in a number of different models. I may have to make the same changes to my 4/84.

g.

The EPROM expander boards are arrived.
Who wants are bare PCB, please send a PM.
The price for the bare PCB is 9$. Shipping is depending on receivers location.
Frank
image0002.jpg image0001.jpg

Philip Avery was generous enough to allow me to test my FreHD Kaypro adaptor with his Kaypro II and I can confirm that with two small modifications the adaptor for the 81-240-n motherboard (4/83 and some II) will also work with a 81-110-n motherboard (earlier II) that was in Philip's machine.

I will add an new blog post with the details in the next couple of days and provide updated design files for anyone who wants to build one.

I know it's been a while, but are the adapter boards for the Kaypro 10 and Universal Board equipped Kaypros available yet? If not, could I get the gerbers so I can have some made?

tnx.

g.

Hi Geneb,
i only let produce 3 protype boards.
One of them is gone, two are installed in my Kaypro's.
My layout i did in Target V13, don't know if there is a Gerber export function.
Perhaps Jaq has some spare board over.

Frank

Rats. If it was the free version of the tool, you're locked into a single PCB house. :(

Is the schematic you posted still accurate? If so, I'll craft up something.

tnx.

g.

I've re-drawn the schematic in Eagle:
http://www.geneb.org/frehd-kaypro-adapter.png

If someone would be so kind as to check my work - verify what I've drawn matches the schematic that Frank posted in message #7, I'll upload the Eagle & gerber files for people to download and I'll get some ordered from Osh Park.

Thanks for your hard work Frank!

g.

I have a Kaypro 4'84 that appears to have all the chips in place, just missing J9 (50pin)... the board is labeled 23/84
i would be interested in a KayFreHD if another run was done. :) I am in the process of installing a TurboRom as I too could not do the movcpm thing properly, and do not have access to a PC with 5 1/4" drivers... i did manage to find a link to an image for a pre-configured bootable Kayplus disk, but I cannot do much with it....

so I decided to burn a turbo rom and go through the documentation and see how i make out :) but a hard drive for this very cool "portable" would be awesome :)

Gene, has anyone built a successful unit from that OshPark PCB yet?
Definitely interested...
Hard to keep these MFM drives going, even with a stash of a dozen or so!!

Sharkonwheels: Mike will be the first victim. :)

jaquinn: The board is based on the design Ian did for Universal Board equipped Kaypro models like the 10 and the 4/84.

Have you tested your design with those boards? I'd be curious to see if they work. (probably will)

tnx.

g.

jaquinn: The board is based on the design Ian did for Universal Board equipped Kaypro models like the 10 and the 4/84.

Have you tested your design with those boards? I'd be curious to see if they work. (probably will)
g.

I haven't. Only the Kaypro II and 4/83. Kaypro are a bit hard to come by down here in New Zealand. It seems your other design would be better for the universal board with the expansion connector.

Back