• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Memory test error with Toshiba T1100

Excellent news Vint! Once more the community helps an old machine spring back to life!

Tez

Yes, and my gratitude runs high -
for I just received price quotes on the TMM41464P-15 DRAM chips @ $15.60 ea. refurbished, which I assume in this case means used. Also received a price quote of $70. for the PA7132U 'refurbished' memory expansion board. One reason for my fondness of this old 1985 machine is that it's in great condition - came with all the original 720k disks and manuals plus the padded, zippered case with embossed Toshiba T1100 label. Truly a piece of history to hang onto :D

That means that the RAM failure is in the small removable vertical board (assuming that in the T1100 PLUS, that board is the extra RAM).

modem7,
I echo the accolades. Your insight, first hand knowldege of the T1100 and more importantly your willingness to share your knowledge with other computer people, are why this forum is so successful.
-Dave

modem7, I echo the accolades. Your insight, first hand knowldege of the T1100 and more importantly your willingness to share your knowledge with other computer people, are why this forum is so successful.
I'm simply one of many, passing on knowledge/experience. If anything, Chuck's great contribution has to be acknowledged.

One day I'll be in an old folk's home, my memory gone, but I'll still have my old computers. I just hope that when that time comes, and I've forgotten how to diagnose a problem, that there will be someone on these forums who will answer my call for help.

If anything, Chuck's great contribution has to be acknowledged.
Yes, Chuck(G) is a definite All-Star. Sometimes I think he was with Charles Babbage when the computer was invented. Maybe Chuck was born with only two toes on each foot and learned to count that way. :)
-Dave

Yes, Chuck(G) is a definite All-Star. Sometimes I think he was with Charles Babbage when the computer was invented. Maybe Chuck was born with only two toes on each foot and learned to count that way.
I think I've found the answer. His mother was an IBM and his father was a Burroughs. He is the result of a brief but fruitful encounter between the two companies.

CHUCK = Condensed Hive of Universal Computer Knowledge

Continuing from my previous post about the CHUCK system.

I've just finished some more research. You won't find this stuff on the Web. It's hiding in places like declassified US military documents from the 60's and 70's.

In the 70's, a second version of CHUCK was produced, CHUCK II (pronounced 'Chucky'), and then all goes quiet. After I made many phone calls and emails and bribes to former IBM/Burroughs employees, a persistent rumor emerged. When CHUCK II was made, the computer scientists were ordered to destroy CHUCK. The rumor is that the scientists took heart, added AI to CHUCK, hid him in a PABX room, and connected him to a telephone line so he could dial into various BBS' for the rest of his days (clock cycles).

So how do we know if our Chuck is CHUCK? Well, like all kinds of things, I found a CHUCK Technical Manual on eBay. I know Chuck reads these posts and so here goes:

1BEC2734F010E75A03156752F63B415AC97E3C6. Oops! That was close. Wrong sequence. I almost typed out all of the self-destruct sequence. Let's try this. A1C354A32E38C12DAF32157C3A47C37E4A37365AE369831CA8. That just signaled the following command to CHUCK: [BBS infiltrated by Communists. Disconnect immediately. Never dial this BBS again.].

Chuck, are you still there?

Actually, the IBM/Burroughs story is a red herring to keep you from the truth for security reasons since he does a fair bit of classified government and law enforcement work; the little-known truth involves the CDC 6600 shown below and an anonymous Durango system. Apparently a tuba also played a role but details are sketchy...

images.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, guys, enough! (just kidding :) )
Okay. You're still online and so obviously not CHUCK. Sorry about that. I just had to know. I feel guilty now because if CHUCK hasn't gone to that great big bit bucket in the sky, then in effect, I've just kicked him off the Vintage Computer Forums.

Anyhow, I was going to stop discussing CHUCK now anyway, because there is a unmarked black helicopter hovering over my house. If this is my last post, it was fun!

They let some teenage kid on work experience interrogate me. The idiot gave me the Sodium Pentathol orally instead of by injection, and so for anyone who can use the knowledge, I think I've identified one of the "11 secret herbs and spices".

No, I didn't see T there, but there was a Mr. T being interrogated. I overheard something about 'crimes against acting'.

I can talk about CHUCK and CHUCK II because they're declassified systems, but certain parties appear to be quite sensitive about the existence of CHUCK VI, and so I'd better not even mention it's name. Oops! Darn it. Now the black helicopter has returned.

Okay. No more posts about CHUCK. I promise. My old body just can't handle interrogations like it used to.

Back