• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft Client Help

zander-san

Hello all,

I am new to these fourms so please correct me on anything I do wrong in my post.

I have a 386 MSDOS 6.22 system, with a DE201 Ethernet card. I'm trying to get Microsoft Client working on but I seem to be running into an error while starting it up. From googling around I haven't found much info on it so I'm hoping someone here can tell me what it means so I can fix it.

I intend to use this to connect to a network drive I have made via samba on a linux machine for file exchanging and have no other uses for MS Client beyond that.

If the image below isn't viewable for some reason this is what happens:

On boot I eventually get stuck on "Initializing TCP/IP via DHCP... "
for 5 minutes until it eventually errors out and I get this error:

"No DHCP server found: TCP/IP not loaded
Unloadable TCP 1.0 not loaded.
NET0116: TCP access failure by Tiny RFC.
Tiny RFC 1.0 not loaded.
Press any key to cont inue
NET0116: TCP access failure by NMTSR.
Unloadable NMTSR 1.0 not loaded.
Press any key to cont inue
Error 7361: IPX or NetBIOS must be running in order to load the network
services."

Error.jpg

Thank you to all and any who help!

Use this instead: https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP.html

Much easier to get up and running than the old MS stuff, it works well and is still maintained (the developer is active on these forums).

Also, this is probably better than an SMB share in most cases: https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_NetDrive.html

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your suggestions, but I would like to continue using samba for this, plus I have not been able to find a "packet driver" for my particular network card, just drivers for other programs out there. If you have any other suggestions/fixes please let me know.

Based on old Linux code, the DE201 is based on the AMD Lance. If you do ever get the urge to try a packet driver, look for the AMD PCNet packet driver. (It's not difficult to find.)

This should be the latest driver package for the EtherWORKS 2 family (DE100/200/201/202/210/212/422): e2kit201.zip
And the diagnostics: e2diags.zip
And the documentation: de201-om.pdf
Packet Driver: depca.com (and the source: depca.asm )

Kind of surprising DEC didn't ship a packet driver - pretty sure they did for later cards. I'm not 100% certain if DEPCA.COM works for the DE201 or if its for the older DE100 - I don't have a card handy to test against. If it doesn't work, using the ODI driver with ODIPKT.COM should work, though it will cost you a bit of conventional memory - though far less than the Microsoft Network Client for DOS.

Given its failing to talk to your DHCP server it would appear you've got some kind of link issue. If you haven't already, check the big blue jumper block over near the AUI port is set correctly for which ever port you're using, AUI or 10baseT - these cards don't auto-detect. If that is set correctly it might be worth trying the most recent driver if you're not already using it.

If it doesn't work, using the ODI driver with ODIPKT.COM should work, though it will cost you a bit of conventional memory - though far less than the Microsoft Network Client for DOS.
For the record there are various shim drivers for converting between various driver types here: https://www.shikadi.net/network/#shimPD

Given its failing to talk to your DHCP server it would appear you've got some kind of link issue. If you haven't already, check the big blue jumper block over near the AUI port is set correctly for which ever port you're using, AUI or 10baseT - these cards don't auto-detect. If that is set correctly it might be worth trying the most recent driver if you're not already using it.
Another thing to try would be to run Wireshark on some more modern machine on the network - do some packet capture to try to figure out whether the DHCP requests are actually appearing on the network. I find it's nice to be able to observe what is actually happening on the wire, it can help to narrow down the problem. It can be hard to understand packet captures the first time you look at them though, particularly if there's a lot of other network traffic and you don't know how to filter what you're receiving.

I would start trouble-shooting by not using DHCP in the first place. Give it a fixed IP and network mask and see if you can ping anything in the same network. If not, the NIC may not even work correctly.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your suggestions, but I would like to continue using samba for this, plus I have not been able to find a "packet driver" for my particular network card, just drivers for other programs out there. If you have any other suggestions/fixes please let me know.
Got it. I'd suggest what Timo said, try a static IP to remove the DHCP element from the setup.

Back