• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

More trouble since the Februay VCFED.ORG forum crash.

ibmapc

Veteran Member
Looks like this might be a lingering symptom from the trouble we went through in February. Some old theads with links to even older threads don't go anywhere. specifically this thread. Look at post #9. Try to follow the link 1MegXT thread. I get a 404 error because it points to "http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?28128-HIMEMV2-or-equivillent-PROM" which was obviously on the old forum and is not getting forwarded.

Maybe you could convince the those in charge to give you access to find and fix bad links.

But there's not much point, I think, in fixing old links. It would be easier for someone encountering that link to do a web search for the information, in my opinion.

The same thread exists on VCFED.ORG if you change vintage-computer.com/vcforum to vcfed.org/forum it pops right up. Seem like a simple global redirect to me. Pretty sure it was working before the crash.

So, who do I need to poke here? I was hoping to get a response from a moderator or admin. I believe links to these old threads are important to the continuity of the forum.

Greg

Have you tried "reporting" the post with the incorrect link?

Have you tried sending a PM to mbrutman?

smp

You might also first try the little triangle and !. It is an alert to the monitors.
Dwight

I'm a little hesitant to use the triangle thing due to the following notice that comes up when it is pressed;
"Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

I think I'll send a PM to Mike or Evan.

Greg

The triangle is for reporting any problem just leave
a detailed message this is just my opinion..

That's just a generic text most other forums I have
been on use this for any problems with a post..

Sorry for the slow response. :(

I believe the search indexes needed to be rebuilt so I'm doing that now. Hopefully it'll be done in the next 30 minutes or so and these issues will go away.

If not please let me know so I can raise a ticket to have it addressed.

Cheers!

Thank you Erik and Evan for looking into this. Unfortunately, the thread in question still is not being redirected to VCFED.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?28128-HIMEMV2-or-equivillent-PROM
However if "vintage-computer.com/vcforum" is replaced with "vcfed.org/forum" in the url, the old thread comes right up. I believe threads such as these were being redirected correctly before. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Vcfed is now displaying an agonizingly slow response time. My last post took 2+ minutes to be accepted between the "Post Quick Reply" and actually being posted.

Vcfed is now displaying an agonizingly slow response time. My last post took 2+ minutes to be accepted between the "Post Quick Reply" and actually being posted.

I see similar lags. Every action (page refresh, click on New Posts, post a reply, etc.) takes many seconds to complete for me.

How huge is huge?

I noticed less than a second to open this reply window and to post the reply...

I'm not doubting that it's happening, but I'm not seeing it here which makes it harder to debug...

Generally-speaking there are no major issues at present. It may be necessary to re-index the board again, but this is not a show stopper. SO, if you're experiencing lags please help report some specific pieces of info. I will help along with the rest of the team to keep an eye on the performance a little more closely.
1. What browser are you using (software and version)
2. Is the latency with all pages or a specific page?
3. Is the latency associated with email (time to receive)
4. Is the latency associated with loading of images after the page appears to have loaded, if so specify.

I know we cleared some old emails from the queue recently, it is possible that there was an unknown-to-us gateway exploit in the SMTP mail service associated with the ISP that hosts the forum. We'd want to report these things up the chain of support.

Thanks all for keeping us informed, we'll do the same.

Back