• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Museum of Computing, UK

dreuby

Hi - I found this forum through the Computer History Club, which I reached through DigiBarn.

I'm the (volunteer!) Collections Manager at the Museum of Computing in the UK.

About us:
"The Museum of Computing is devoted to the history of computing and digital development. It is the only physical museum of it’s kind in the UK dedicated to the history of computing. It is based on campus at the University of Bath in Swindon.

The Museum is not simply a repository of artefacts, but has active displays as well as providing a forum for the provision of lectures. There is a mixture of permanent and temporary displays, many exhibits of which have been loaned by companies and other collectors."

I'm looking forward to meeting and exchanging info with you all.

Must be neat having Bletchley Park nearby for a computer history museum. I wonder, has anyone built a replica of Colossus using solid state electronics?

Welcome to the VC Forums! Glad to have you aboard!

I do some very part-time volunteer work at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View (kids, job and a variety of other time sinks make my part-time really almost no time :() so maybe we can compare notes!

Enjoy!

Erik

Exluddite said:
Must be neat having Bletchley Park nearby for a computer history museum. I wonder, has anyone built a replica of Colossus using solid state electronics?

Bletchley Park provided our first exhibition - sadly I didn't see it because I wasn't involved with the project then, and I kept saying "I'll go soon" :( I've found out since that my Dad's cousin worked there during the war - but he only found out what he was doing recently.

Bletchley Park

Bletchley Park

oooh Bletchley Park!

one of these days, if the US dollar ever gains any ground back against
the Pound or Euro I _have_ to order one of the electronic Enigma kits.

http://www.xat.nl/enigma-e/desc/

and I swear this used to be 99 pounds at the Bletchley Park and now
it's 120...

-mikol

That's inflation for you. But I hadn't seen those - thanks for the link. My husband has just pointed out that you'd need two if you're going to use them to communicate - so I won't add them to my shopping list yet. :)

Back