• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 8m passes the Chess.bin test....I didn't!

God, I never even considered the possibility that the 83 wouldn't boot V7-I was planning on doing prep work Friday. I'll hook up an RL02 with v7m to the 11/83 this evening and check it out.

If it won't run v7, I'll just have to run 2.9bsd with the V7 chess program and opening book.

I'm also going to start a thread inquiring about maximum hardware that can run v7.

Last edited:
Roe - I wouldn't panic. The more advanced processors are supposed to be supported on v7m. I'm playing around trying to be certain which I have - but my issue is with the loader - the software that runs just before unix. It doesn't find the directory in the image.

On the 45:
Code:
@boot
New Boot, known devices are hp ht rk rl rp tm vt
: rl(0,0)rl2unix
mem = 177856
#
Same disk on a 70:
Code:
@boot
not a directory
rl2unix not found
:

Where did you get v7m?

I think I have what is required to load it from a tape image, but don't need the exercise if it's available more directly.

Roe - I wouldn't panic. The more advanced processors are supposed to be supported on v7m. I'm playing around trying to be certain which I have - but my issue is with the loader - the software that runs just before unix. It doesn't find the directory in the image.

On the 45:
Code:
@boot
mem = 177856
#
Same disk on a 70:
Code:
@boot
not a directory
rl2unix not found
:

Sure glad I don't even need no stinkin' OS to play chess on my machine:D

Is it possible the disk controllers on the machines are somehow different; i.e., won't properly read the directory structure on a disk written by the other?

RSX: are results from emulators, or do you actually have the iron for an 11/45 and an 11/70?

Hi Roe - I should have indicated in this case I'm trying to run on E11 first. It's been very faithful for me in the past.

1) I don't think I'm running 7m. This may be the entire issue for me.
2) The 7m documentation claims there are 3 different "systems" for DEC machines. One is for I&D space machines like the 45 and 70. Another is for non-I&D machines like the 34, and another is for QBUS - the 23 is mentioned specifically.
3) When installing from tape, one selects the target system type to be used to init a disk image.

Apparently a bunch of guys in DEC customized this version of UNIX 7 and gave it back to Bell Labs - who write the docs and were to "support" it from then on on these systems - to be known as "v7m".

I don't see the traditional Western Electric boot notice that's supposed to be on 7m, so my suspicion is that I don't have this version. Is there another way to tell? My ux command line experience is stranded between v5 and v7.

Where did you get v7m?

I think I have what is required to load it from a tape image, but don't need the exercise if it's available more directly.

I really don't remember where I found the v7m patch kit. I was just damn determined to run unix on my 11/34, wound up using simh to gen a kernel, vtserver to copy a base / file system to rl02, and it worked.

Sure glad I don't even need no stinkin' OS to play chess on my machine:D

And that my friend, is the beauty of the pdp-8! So elegant, so simple that a child could write machine language code for it and a mechanical engineer can repair the central processor (of an Omnibus 8 anyway.)

Lou

PS. OK, the 11 doesn't need an OS either. But it is a lot harder to fix. Ask Marty!

I really don't remember where I found the v7m patch kit. I was just damn determined to run unix on my 11/34, wound up using simh to gen a kernel, vtserver to copy a base / file system to rl02, and it worked.
I'll be interested to hear if it works on your 83... it might.

And that my friend, is the beauty of the pdp-8! So elegant, so simple that a child could write machine language code for it and a mechanical engineer can repair the central processor (of an Omnibus 8 anyway.)

Lou

PS. OK, the 11 doesn't need an OS either. But it is a lot harder to fix. Ask Marty!
Hey... Lou... Kiss my grits. :butt:

So I found a really nice 2.11BSD image on RP06 (174MB) that boots and runs cleanly on an 11/84.

Still working on v7m... but I'm getting closer. The only v7m tape images I can find won't start using the normal DEC boots. I found Special toggle-in TU10 boot instructions for starting from tape - we'll have to see how that goes.

In any case - I can run the standard v7 chess so I'm good for game day. If my moves differ from yours Roe - I'll know it's a different version. Not that any of my silliness matters. :rastarolleye:

Sorry for the delay, i have been dealing with multiple house issues.

I have V7 chess on my 11/83 running 2.9bsd ready to go. Mike, are we still good for a noon start time tomorrow?

You DEC collectors.. just pick one of your houses full of PDPs Roe. j/k (honestly though hope it's nothing too bad ;-) )

Sorry for the delay, i have been dealing with multiple house issues.

I have V7 chess on my 11/83 running 2.9bsd ready to go. Mike, are we still good for a noon start time tomorrow?

You bet!
DeepOrange will be making the first move at noon PST tomorrow.
Here's a cameo shot of 'your competition':

DeepOrange.jpg

Hi All;
I wish I had my /45 running well enough to Play along.. And I don't know anything about Chess, never was into it, But You got me interested in at least watching..
So, Roe, where is Your Picture, as one of the Contenders..
THANK YOU Marty

Sorry about this, everyone, but i am gonna have to postpone. I have a bit of a crisis to deal with. I will be back in touch as soon as possible.

Sorry about this, everyone, but i am gonna have to postpone. I have a bit of a crisis to deal with. I will be back in touch as soon as possible.

No problem.
I hope your crisis is quickly and positively resolved.

Mike

They're built into the forurm's editor Marty. Hit: Reply to Thread | Go Advanced then on the right of the pane click on: More A list will pop-up with the full selection.

There are other ways too, but that's the one I use. :cool:

Back