• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Computer Obsession

Ah, so that's where all the SX 64s in the world ended up :)

Serious question, what's the point of having multiple items unless they're different versions... for example the C64s or Ultima V, are they all unique in some way?

Ah, so that's where all the SX 64s in the world ended up :)

Serious question, what's the point of having multiple items unless they're different versions... for example the C64s or Ultima V, are they all unique in some way?

I don't buy systems in working order. Pretty much everything you see I've purchased non-working and I restored them. That's my enjoyment (restorations).
I just find it easier to just store them than sell them (i.e., pack/ship and hope they get there in one piece).
One day I may just hire someone to start selling them all :)

The Ultimas are multiples happen if I purchase someone's entire lot just to get the one version I wanted or if I see something at a good price I'll typically pick it up thinking I may trade or sell it later.
There are multiple version of I's because the original diskettes are different versions/dates.

The computers actually don't take up a whole lot of room - I happen to also collect/restore vintage robots, RCs and worse, 1:1 vintage/muscle cars - I needed to build another garage for all those LOL

I don't buy systems in working order. Pretty much everything you see I've purchased non-working and I restored them. That's my enjoyment (restorations).
I agree with that, for me it's also more enjoyable to try to fix and restore them. I just have limited space so I have to periodically let some things go... your collection doesn't look messy at all.. the systems are neatly stacked, with dust covers.
The computers actually don't take up a whole lot of room - I happen to also collect/restore vintage robots, RCs and worse, 1:1 vintage/muscle cars - I needed to build another garage for all those LOL
It's nice that you can work on old cars, in a city apartment I can only dream of that :)

I agree with that, for me it's also more enjoyable to try to fix and restore them. I just have limited space so I have to periodically let some things go... your collection doesn't look messy at all.. the systems are neatly stacked, with dust covers.

It's nice that you can work on old cars, in a city apartment I can only dream of that :)

Yes, but on the other hand, I would hope you have more time to enjoy the beautiful outdoors :) It's all a matter of perspective - these are just toys - life itself has more meaning. Enjoy it! :)

(sorry to get so philosophical)

Damn - to think you have more SX-64's than the total number of computers I have in my entire collection... then again, I've only been collecting for about seven or eight years and have had a stable income for even less time than that ;)

Speaking of old vehicles, we sure paid way too much (and got screwed) buying my '88 F150, though it runs good now after a total engine rebuild! :D

Damn - to think you have more SX-64's than the total number of computers I have in my entire collection... then again, I've only been collecting for about seven or eight years and have had a stable income for even less time than that ;)

Speaking of old vehicles, we sure paid way too much (and got screwed) buying my '88 F150, though it runs good now after a total engine rebuild! :D

I thought F150s were "Ford Tough"? ;)

This is why I have Chevy crate 350s in my '56 Ford F100 and my '37 Ford Coupe ;) lol - sorry ... couldn't resist nudging the Ford guys haha

I thought F150s were "Ford Tough"? ;)

This is why I have Chevy crate 350s in my '56 Ford F100 and my '37 Ford Coupe ;) lol - sorry ... couldn't resist nudging the Ford guys haha
Well, the fellow who sold it to us claimed he put a new engine in there, which turned out to be completely untrue. Although, we should have done more research on our part...

On a positive note, the mechanic who actually replaced the engine said I should be able to drive this thing for the next 20 years or so - and because I love old vehicles (and in this crazy economy) I really want to hold on to it for that long ;)

Wow, that is quite a hoarding of vintage computers!

My obsession in more in line with using obsolete computers and pushing them to the absolute limit of what can be done with them in the modern day computing landscape - which is to say, not much, but some little you can manage to get done. In "that little space", is where my vintage computing happens.

Well, the fellow who sold it to us claimed he put a new engine in there, which turned out to be completely untrue. Although, we should have done more research on our part...

On a positive note, the mechanic who actually replaced the engine said I should be able to drive this thing for the next 20 years or so - and because I love old vehicles (and in this crazy economy) I really want to hold on to it for that long ;)
I restore (well, resto-mod) old vehicles (1937 Ford Coupe, 1956 Ford F100, 1961 Chevy Impala, 1969 Chevy Chevelle) but still keep some current ones as well (Tesla Model S P85D, 70th Anniv C8 Stingray) - I unfortunately stow away cars like I do computers. Don't want to turn this into a car show, but here are a couple of them. :)

Attachments

• Garage_10_resize.jpg
    Garage_10_resize.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 36
Are you telling me this is your garage 😲............and you have
many more of these....next to your array of retro computers?
I hope I don't sound very inquisitive....but by any chance.....
you don't happen to have a secretary called pepper potts, and
you don't wear a smart armored suit at nights...... going out incognito...
fighting evil enemies of the society.......... ;) ??????

ziloo 😊

I restore (well, resto-mod) old vehicles (1937 Ford Coupe, 1956 Ford F100, 1961 Chevy Impala, 1969 Chevy Chevelle) but still keep some current ones as well (Tesla Model S P85D, 70th Anniv C8 Stingray) - I unfortunately stow away cars like I do computers. Don't want to turn this into a car show, but here are a couple of them. :)
Not to thread hijack, but I may or may not have a car you may or may not have an interest in that I may or may not be selling :ROFLMAO:

It's a 60's Chevy B-body
Well, as you see I have an affinity for certain year B-Bodies - my Impala Bubbletop can attest to that - love the Biscayne, Bel Air even the Olds Eighty-Eight :)
But alas - I have a frame-off in progress so I'd rather stay focused on the '71 I'm after than get too highly distracted. Would love to see a picture though. Once can look at their own cars all day long, but it's a total high seeing everyone elses rides :)

Back