• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need a new voltimeter

For me, there would be two considerations (after accuracy) wrt buying a general-purpose DMM:

1. Measurements available and range
2. Autoranging or not

I prefer manual ranging to autoranging--I've used both, but like manual a bit better--it can be too easy to miss the range indication.

An analog meter works better for checking continuity but usually doesn't have a beeper. For most of my digital meter work, I use a cheap $10 meter from Harbor Freight. For serious digital work I use a 5 digit John Fluke.
Dwight

These meters are made for the Chinese market so don't expect any warranty support, but the price is king.

Does the OP ever need to measure current?

You can get a Fluke 101 for $44 at Amazon (and likely eBay). It is adorably tiny and has decent safety ratings and a solid design.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-101-Mu...ld=1&keywords=fluke+101&qid=1612292045&sr=8-2

There is a Fluke 107 if you _have to have_ current measurement and a backlight, here is the 107 for $103.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-107-Cu...ld=1&keywords=fluke+102&qid=1612292187&sr=8-2

Here is a picture of both for a size comparison (the 101 is smaller):
Fluke_107_-_106_-_101.jpg

These meters are made for the Chinese market so don't expect any warranty support, but the price is king.

Does the OP ever need to measure current?

You can get a Fluke 101 for $44 at Amazon (and likely eBay). It is adorably tiny and has decent safety ratings and a solid design.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-101-Mu...ld=1&keywords=fluke+101&qid=1612292045&sr=8-2

There is a Fluke 107 if you _have to have_ current measurement and a backlight, here is the 107 for $103.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-107-Cu...ld=1&keywords=fluke+102&qid=1612292187&sr=8-2

Here is a picture of both for a size comparison (the 101 is smaller):
Fluke_107_-_106_-_101.jpg

Alan nailed it. You can't beat Fluke for the price or quality. I still have 3 of them and one was from 1986.

Dave of EEVblog on Youtube has some reviews of these meters, checking them against standard bench meters, as well as on his usual blog.

I look at them as being a first-line "good enough" consumable, much in the same way that I use the little $15 component tester for capacitors and semiconductors. HF bubble-pack freebies are perfectly adequate for many tasks--the big negative is that they lack an audible continuity check.

If I wanted a lab-grade DMM, I'd get a bench unit, not a portable one. It depends on the application--for TTL stuff, 4.95 volts is as good a measurement as 5.00 volts.

FWIW, I still have my VTVM from the 1960s--it still works, but other than for the analog meter, it's been eclipsed by progress.

I've been tempted to get one of these, as you have everything within eyeshot.

Last edited:
Well, I'd have to glue a small flashlight to it also... ;)

I still have memories of using one hand to push away a mat of wires, the other hand with 'scope probe and a penlight in my mouth... :) Good old days...

Well, I'd have to glue a small flashlight to it also... ;)

I still have memories of using one hand to push away a mat of wires, the other hand with 'scope probe and a penlight in my mouth... :) Good old days...

I hate that when that happens.
Still a little more hot glue, a white LED, a resistor and a switch connected to the cheap $10 meter's battery, solves that problem. I may even try it my self, as I have an extra meter that had a broken probe wire, at the connector. Soldering a needle to the probe and it well be perfect.
Dwight

Years ago, I had a probe tip break. I drilled a hole through the (brass) probe stub and soldered in part of a stainless bicycle spoke, ground the end to a fine point and still have the probe today. (Use phosphoric acid as a soldering flux).

Thank you for all of the suggestions everyone. I did manage to purchase one of the Flukes. I haven't used it yet as I am not fully versed on how exactly to use them to diagnose various parts to make certain they are working correctly. I am reading and watching videos to help with the process, and hopefully I will have more to be able to say regarding this in the near future. Again, thank you for all of the help and suggestions.

Back