• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old Codger

Mike Bassett

Hi,
I'm Mike Bassett (no jokes if you're British - I've heard them all) and I live in Preston, UK. I've been a Computing professional for about 30 years having started out on PDP8's, DG Nova's and a rather odd Teradyne 18 bit machine attached to a back plane tester. I then moved on to a set of other strange kit: The M1 based on an 8080A processor and an 8" floppy, The Mael 4000 based on a desk (not desktop - it took up the whole desk!) calculator that had grown to have a VDU, 5+5Mb HDD and 4k of core, even had a dedicated square root card. I think I went on up from there to a multitasking (4 users) machine called a CADO based initially on an 8085; I still think it was a very clever piece of design! CADO went through various metamorphoses by way of a machine using about 10 80286's and serving 64 users to a rebadged IBM RS6000 before I parted company with it (I was made redundant) and ended up with PC's which I now support for a large construction company.

I am interested in most things computing and have a small cache of things in my attic including original Intel manuals for the 8080 (1975) - which tells you how to get by without the 8224 clock chip - and 8085 (1977) processors and some other books on projects for them I also have various manuals on the BBC Micro and an original copy of DOS 5.5 and Windows 3.0 on 5.25 floppy with packets and the drive c/w cable to read them. I don't really want these things, so they're free to good home. I'll meet anywhere in Lancashire to drop them off.

If you want to chat reply!

Mike

Welcome to the VC Forum and thanks for the generous offer!

I'm sure someone will take you up on it very quickly!

Cheers!

Erik

The person who would undoubtably love to get in touch with you is Tony Duell of Classiccmp fame. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find his address on my current computer, or in the few recent digests I downloaded from there. Anyone able to provide a Tony Duell pointer to this gentleman ?

Lawrence

Back