• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Oldest games you know

I know what you mean. For the most part we had a roller rink and duck pin bowling alley that had a bunch of arcade cabinets which was more than good enough. Then we got an original chuck E Cheese which was the first real arcade.
Ah, yes - Chuck E Cheese. I went there once in 1983, ate pizza and wasted most of my quarters on Food Fight.
(the main reason I remember that is that I was thrilled to get the "instant replay" in the game :biggrin:)

I think they closed down shortly after that. I never saw a Chuck E Cheese in Canada since then.

Last edited:
I grew up playing a crap-ton of GBA games but the one I have the most fond memories of is Super Mario Advance 2.

As far as PC games go, the oldest ones I can specifically recall are Tornado Jockey on our Windows XP desktop at home and Marble Blast Gold on my school's iMac G3 computers.

I was in one in the mid 90's for a birthday and supposedly there is still one out in Langley that's still open.
chuck e cheeses still exists.. but even since the mid 90s its not the cool fun house animitronic arcade it was in the 70s and 80s.. its just a garbage foodcourt place with a mcdonalds style ball pit.. the real chuck e cheese only resides in our memories

I just don't remember it.

...except this one girl jumping up and down all excited while she was holding a pile of tickets.

best thing i ever got with those tickets was a star trek ball cap (original series). dont know how many tickets it would have taken.. an absurd amount im sure.

the real chuck e cheese only resides in our memories
You might want to check this video out. This guy collects and restores numerous animatronics from various pizza joints across the fields of time. Fun watch.

Didn't have a CEC in my area when I was a kid, but when visiting my older sister (who lived about 2 hours south in Indianapolis), we'd go to Showbiz Pizza. Trying to figure out how it was related to CEC will give you a migraine, but it was freakin' awesome. The animated band was Rock Afire Explosion, food was great and they had every arcade game you could think of. The whole place had a dimly lit glowing atmosphere...it was a proper arcade.

By the time we got a CEC in my area, I was too old to care. A few days ago, a coworker told me his daughter is turning 3 this weekend and I jokingly told him he should have a party at CEC. We both had a good laugh. CEC in the US is now a disgusting gang banger thug hangout. I'm amazed they survived the bankruptcy from a few years ago.

This is one of the coolest videos on youtube, and what I remember from back in the day....

pizzatime theatre, showbiz pizza. they all consolodated to chuck e cheese..

And yeah i remember how dimly lit the place was.. only real lighting was behind the food counter so you can make an order for food. Out on the floor it was nice and dark.. Like i mentioned it had a real fun house feel. I still have a couple gold token when chuck still looked like a giant rat... good times.

Last edited:
"You might want to check this video out. This guy collects and restores numerous animatronics from various pizza joints across the fields of time. Fun watch."

Any pipe organ pizza stuff? Used to be a thing in the SF Bay area.

"You might want to check this video out. This guy collects and restores numerous animatronics from various pizza joints across the fields of time. Fun watch."

Any pipe organ pizza stuff? Used to be a thing in the SF Bay area.
One of the craft organizers retrieved an old floppy based midi organ with a muppet like piano player to be an attraction at his shows.

Stick in a floppy and the muppet would play a variety of show tunes

One of the craft organizers retrieved an old floppy based midi organ with a muppet like piano player to be an attraction at his shows.

Stick in a floppy and the muppet would play a variety of show tunes
Any photos of such a thing? That sounds pretty neat.

Earliest $PLATFORM $GAME I can remember:
Arcade cabinet: Gun Fight
Console: Magnavox Odyssey 300 (one of the nearly-hundred pong-with-enhancements clones)
Computer: Collosal Cave Adventure on, IIRC, an Osborne.

I too was born in the (early) 90s.

The oldest game I can recall from a very young age is Sokoban, on the Ibm pc with CGA graphics. I think it was one of the very first pc games I ever played, alongside Jeopardy for Ibm pc or Wheel of Fortune for Ibm pc.

94951-Sokoban_(1984)(Spectrum_Holobyte)-1515877801.png

Back