• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Other things vintage

Actually, there's a cult following for plastic saxophones thanks to Ornette Coleman...

Heehee, all-weather oboe...sounds like a total oxymoron to me! :)
Dunno about a clarinet like that, though...I've only tried old, old wood or modern plastic ones.

I checked the Buffet webpage. They sell Green Line clarinets and oboes. Both are made of 95% granulated grenadilla with 5% polycarbonate fiber and epoxy resin - a more environmental friendly and weather resistent solution than hard wood, while preserving most of the acoustic properties. But only the oboe is marketed with Goretex pads. Maybe the number of pads on a clarinet are so few it doesn't matter what material they are made of. They don't seem to use Goretex on their S3 series saxophones, and I don't know if they have any other in production or planning.

Aside from hopping up old computers, I also deal with the following old stuff....

Old lawn and garden equiptment. Been rebuilding rotary push mowers since I was 10 years old. I'm practically a pro at old Lawn-Boy stuff, and pretty darn good at Briggs and Tecumseh powered stuff as well.

Vintage Guitars are half the reason I've been away from the board for so long, I just picked up a reissue 62' Fender Jaguar, and am loving every minute of that little monster. I'm pretty big into "surf" guitars, which is kind of odd being as I'm not really that much into surf, I'm actually more of a metal guy.

I'm also into older music, usually 80's rock, and collecting it on records, and the vintage electronics associated with it. I'm the only person I know who only owns one VCR, an 80's top loader, and still owns a turn table, and can find a new needle for it.

it's all about the vintage records, baseball cards, comic books, computers, cars, videogames/systems. programs, television sets ( mostly zenith), action figures (original starwars)

@ mad mike

briggs and stratton suck try their 12 year old murray tractors and you'll find the meaning of a bad tractor

old bits found in skips (dumpsters)

old bits found in skips (dumpsters)

other wonderful old stuff I have acquired...

an early 1950s valve music synth (sounds absolutely horrible, like a stylophone without the style! ) found phsically broken, but electrically functional on a rubbish dump.

a tea-chest of chemistry equipment originally addressed to Sir Edmund Hillary in Khatmandu and used on a himalayan expedition. It has a newspaper cutting about a yeti sighting pasted inside the lid. Found that in a building that was being demolished, and didn't notice the labels until i got home.

A ballistic galvanometer (ammeter with a tiny mirror on a silk thread instead of a needle) about 100 years old pulled out of a skip at the siemens factory in hollinwood manchester, relatively uninteresting, unless you note that the last terraced house in the row is within the factory grounds, and used to be the house & Lab of Sebastian di Ferranti in 1896, who started the electrics giant. So amost certainly belonged to him. Actually thinking about the dates, it's very possible that the alternator design with the zig zag rotor, that is now found in almost every car was developed using that meter. Phew.

Oh plus the car mentioned in the "our cars" section, found next to a skip!

I've had heaps of computer hardware out of skips, so much so, that the old MD of the computer repair company i worked for used to regularly ask me if I had certaiin things, usually him on the outside and me inside the scrap skip. Sadly most of the really good (and now collectable) stuff I had was revived and re-cycled.

Last edited:
My new vintage instrument, rescued from the floodwaters of NOLA, 2005. Hell, I think I can even see the face of Jesus in the shadings of the patina (or mebbe it's Charlie Manson?).

--T

Attachments

• wb.jpg
    wb.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
Nowadayz they make special 'rubbing boards' for musicians, but back at the birth of the music, so-called 'jug bands' just used whatever they could grab-up handy, and coaxed it to make great music. Spoons, whiskey jugs, washboards, even a type of homemade one-string bass, made from a washtub and a stick. 'Cajun music' is often very dependant on the 'Accadian accordian', which are typically hand-made, even today.

--T

Back