• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP's in Hollywood Film

RSX11M+

Veteran Member
Thought this might be fun...

What Movies have you spotted DEC PDP computers in?

I'll start...

• 3 Days of the CONDOR (1975) - In the opening credits, a PDP-8 (8/e?) with DECTAPE and an early DECWRITER can be seen. It's in other places too, but these are the clearest images.

• TRON (1982) - In the scenes filmed at Lawrence Livermore, there's a glimpse of a computer room through glass in the far background when the actors arrive at the bottom of a stairs (26 minutes) with an 11/04 or 11/34 above 2 RL drives, and when (at 27 minutes), Flynn and Lora walk past a large set of racks with no less than 5 PDP-11's... 3 could be 11/04 or 11/34 and two have switch registers, so I'm guessing 11/40.

Last edited:
Well, it's BBC rather than Hollywood, but it's pretty damn good anyway. The Stone Tape (1972) is a sort of science-horror TV movie written by Nigel Kneale (of Quatermass and the Pit,) in which a PDP-8/f figures prominently. Bonus points to them for showing the whole setup (add-on rack cabinets and a teletype, in addition to the front panel and tape drives that serve as movie shorthand for Computer Magic,) and for showing it being used in as close to a realistic capacity as the plot will allow.

The TRON sequel has a DEC RL02 (or similar) in one scene. In an earlier post here I listed all of the vintage computers from that movie.

Thanks pontus...

These are the ones from TRON: [from your links]

vlcsnap-2010-12-19-20h52m40s38.png

vlcsnap-2010-12-19-21h04m46s158.png

billdeg, you may have spotted something in TRON Legacy I missed. The only "PDP"-ish stuff I saw there was in Flynn's basement at the arcade - a few racks of RA series drives. :confused1:

I couldn't find a photo.

Last edited:
In Swordfish (2001) Stanley (a hacker) access a PDP10 in the basement of his college to get some source code for a virus.
Swordfish_PDP10.jpg
Thats all they show though..

Back