• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pet 2001N horizontal line

UD8 pins 21 and 24 and UD9 pins 21 and 24 should ALL be connected to one of the +5V rails.

If you check for continuity between UD8 pin 21 and each of the other three pins that should suffice.

Check the schematics...

We should have then checked every pin on the two ROM sockets for continuity with the exception of pin 20. Guess what we are going to check next...

Dave

UD8 pins 21 and 24 and UD9 pins 21 and 24 should ALL be connected to one of the +5V rails.

If you check for continuity between UD8 pin 21 and each of the other three pins that should suffice.

Check the schematics...

We should have then checked every pin on the two ROM sockets for continuity with the exception of pin 20. Guess what we are going to check next...

Dave
Yes i have continuity and i have +5V on pin 21 and 24 ;)

Excellent.

So we have now tested every pin of ROM sockets of UD8 and UD9 for continuity. Yes?

Ok, power up with the Kernal ROM and PETTESTER ROM plugged in and check CPU pin 7 for activity and (if activity is observed) all of the pins of UD2.

Dave

Excellent.

So we have now tested every pin of ROM sockets of UD8 and UD9 for continuity. Yes?

Ok, power up with the Kernal ROM and PETTESTER ROM plugged in and check CPU pin 7 for activity and (if activity is observed) all of the pins of UD2.

Dave
Nop generator or only cpu?

CPU stuck again??
Can you write down the state of the 16 address lines from A15 to A0 so we can see where it got stuck?
CPU

PIN 9: H
PIN10: H
PIN11: H
PIN12: H
PIN13: H
PIN14: H
PIN15: H
PIN16: H
PIN17: H
PIN18: H
PIN19: H
PIN20: H
PIN22: H
PIN23: H
PIN24: H
PIN25: H
Desperado, you did remove the PIAs and VIA, right?
YES!

Running code at Address $FFFF is not right. Time to try another 6502 although they never fail. I thought for sure it was the bad cpu socket.
Edit: make sure there are no solder splashes by the new sockets.

Last edited:
I was hoping it was the bad CPU socket as well. Drat!

Onwards and upwards...

Next I would suggest soldering a reset pushbutton across C68 (the 0.1 uF capacitor between UA2 - 555 - pins 1 and 2).

Then, see if you get some pulses on CPU pin 7 when you operate the reset button.

Let's see if the CPU is attempting to execute something, but is then going into the weeds.

Dave

Let's see if the CPU is attempting to execute something, but is then going into the weeds.
Good morning!
When i press reset button, sometimes i see the probe s' red led flashing....i tried with another 6502 but i have always LOW signal on pin 7 :(

Yep,

Put the NOP generator in. Check that you are getting pulses on the CPU at pin 7.

Check pin 20 of ROMs UD8 and UD9 for signs of low-going pulses.

We then need to monitor the data bus signals (one at a time) close to the CPU. You can't measure directly on the CPU, because these are being forced to a NOP instruction ($EA).

I suggest forcing one data bit at a time. Produce a separate video for each data bit. You will need to adjust the timebase from slow to fast as you are monitoring each data bit. You need to do this so that we can look at the overall picture (a slow timebase) to detail (a fast timebase).

Since you have a dual channel oscilloscope, I would add UD8 pin 20 to the spare channel. Technically, we are only really interested in the data bus when this pin is LOW, or just afterwards.

After this (if we don't observe anything significant) I would suggest socketing (and removing the buffers) E9 and E10. This will isolate the RAM and video RAM from our ROM. Since you have already removed the PIA and VIA devices from their sockets, the only thing on the CPU data bus should be the Kernal and PETTESTER ROMs. If things don't work then, it is either the CPU, the ROMs themselves, the PCB tracking, the soldering, the IC sockets or the address decoder (74154).

If you had one of the ROMulator products you could have moved the ROM and RAM into the ROMulator just leaving the VDU and I/O devices to debug before we move back to the ROM and RAM. We would have (at least) divided the problem into more manageable chunks.

The other thing I was thinking of is the link settings (if your board has links). Remember, from last time, we had a link issue.

Dave

Back