• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Posting from a Vintage Computer?

Wow, I haven't seen this yet, Warpzilla, Firefox for OS/2, similar to what TenFourFox is. It wouldn't run under OS/2 Warp 3, but I'll try it out with Warp 4 later today. They also have a flash extension for it.
Where have you been? There's been a community produced variant forever. I've still got Firebird (Firefox before it was renamed) on a 4 gig hdd with OS/2 v4 with it.

Does the site allows double log in? Posting this in XP and IE 7 while with Firefox opened and signed in in the background.

Edit using Firefox: Firefox 3.6 is far quicker for those interested.

Last edited:
I'm going to try an eCS beta as everyone refers to the fix packs...but I can't find them. I would try on my old IBM Thinkpad 560X, but it lacks a CD drive (I have the PCMCIA ATA card and the matching CD drive, but it won't see either).

It's been quite a while. IIRC there's a statement in the config.sys file that should point to were various dlls are stored. Try putting the path name to the dlls in that and see if that helps.

Well, the problemw as GCC, added that and it never launches, accesses the hard drive like it's loading but I never get anything on the screen. So much for browsing on OS/2...

Eh? Flash 11.1 works just fine in Firefox 1.5.0.12 for me...

Perhaps it's an OS thing, but I was not able to do it and was told on the mozillaZine forum that "Current versions of Flash will not run in any Firefox older than 3.0". IIRC I was trying to use 10.x, so perhaps version 11 is more backwards compatible.

Caluser2000:
10 minutes to load Firefox on a PIII just doesn't seem to gel either. It loads quicker than that on a PII 300 running Win98 with 256 megs of ram. I suspect it's a Linux issue. Maybe Opera would be a better option?
Edit:Maybe it's just a crappy PIII mobo.

Sorry, I got my laptops mixed up. (blush) They're Toshibas, but I went back and checked my notes and it was actually the PII with 64 megs ram. The PIII worked, but with only 256 megs it's still not comfortable for on some sites.

Perhaps it's an OS thing, but I was not able to do it and was told on the mozillaZine forum that "Current versions of Flash will not run in any Firefox older than 3.0". IIRC I was trying to use 10.x, so perhaps version 11 is more backwards compatible.
It might be an OS thing; I've used Flash 9-11 on the same computer (a 1.6GHz Eee running XP SP3) with FF1.5 with no trouble. Sounded like your P3 runs Windows 98?

It might be an OS thing; I've used Flash 9-11 on the same computer (a 1.6GHz Eee running XP SP3) with FF1.5 with no trouble. Sounded like your P3 runs Windows 98?
Debian 5.0. It's good on older machines because you can install it without a GUI and then just add X11 and something like Fluxbox without much ado. I think MS-Windows is generally more effective with lower ram. Linux seems memory hungry by comparison. Unfortunately I've never gotten familiar with Windows, but I get the impression that Win 98 is pretty polished and works well on older stuff.

I don't know about the Voyager browser, sorry.

That's what's on the QNX demo. Take the 1.44 challenge! Quote from somewhere: "Many people will be familiar with the QNX demo disk that fit their OS, GUI, browser, web server, games, TCP/IP, and more onto a 1.44M bootable floppy." I don't have a link ready for you but it's around. Try it - it's fun!

Browsing in text mode won't get much better than this screenshot using lynx:
That's what I found too. There's a huge amount of *%$#. I was using a DOS port which is from 2001 so not very vintage, although it will run on a 386. I would guess that the older versions which were available at the time of the first Linux distros would work as well for our purposes. I just read the Wikipedia article and it says it was initially released in 1992, although it also says it was based on libwww from 1994! Of course there is also the old DosLynx, but I couldn't get it to work for me.

There are two versions of the QNX demo--one that works with modems and the other that works with a very small number of network cards (NE1000/2000 is a safe bet). Some people have added extension programs to the basic set.

It's the novelty of booting the whole shebang from a single floppy that's the kick. There may also have been a version of PicoLinux that could do the same trick, but like the QNX demo, is probably way out of date.

If you can't find the QNX demos, PM me and I think I can find them.

Debian 5.0. It's good on older machines because you can install it without a GUI and then just add X11 and something like Fluxbox without much ado. I think MS-Windows is generally more effective with lower ram. Linux seems memory hungry by comparison. Unfortunately I've never gotten familiar with Windows, but I get the impression that Win 98 is pretty polished and works well on older stuff.
Huh, that's a little odd. Aside from the pure frustration on architectures where Adobe hasn't deigned to release a binary, I've never had issues with Flash on Linux...did you install it via the package manager, or download the installer from Adobe's site?

I like Windows 98se; it's the best version that isn't based on NT, and generally the best solution for older computers. (I've heard good things about 2000 as well, but I've never used it, and I'm given to understand that it's not so compatible with some software.)

98SE is pretty good and fairly miserly on RAM and can accept some minidrivers written for 2K and XP. The big benefit is that you get real DOS under it all, which isn't true with 2K.

Huh, that's a little odd. Aside from the pure frustration on architectures where Adobe hasn't deigned to release a binary, I've never had issues with Flash on Linux...did you install it via the package manager, or download the installer from Adobe's site?

It's been some months so I can't remember how I installed it, probably all possible ways that were mentioned any place on the internet that Google could find at the time. As for having problems being "a little odd". Very funny. :) I'm sure you have superior skills in that regard. It shouldn't be complicated and in most cases I have found it very simple even doing it without any package manager. In fact downloading tzupdater, jce_policy, and diablo-cafe directly from Adobe and unzipping them works in FreeBSD. However I have noticed that some people with more brains than I, and years of Linux experience, have also had problems. It would be nice if somebody would write the definitive, works-every-time, how-to. That would save a lot of grief for some people.

Anyway, it was the "little odd" statement that sucked me in. :) We really should be talking about pre 1995, and hopefully earlier, technology here.

Eh, I wouldn't rate my skills that high...my experience with Linux consists of a handful of aborted switchover attempts of varying lengths. Guess I just got lucky...

They say variety is the slice of life. It really all depends on what you're wanting to run I guess. At the moment I've got dos on a 486, linux on a P200mmx(was just an exercise using RH 7.2 and removing the majority of the gnome bloat and installing some later software), Win98 on a PII 300(haven't used it in a while but was the family PC from 2000 to around 2008) and Xp(classic look n feel) on a 2.4Ghz thing I was given. There's also OS/2 v3/v4 waiting to be slapped back into a machine, along with a couple of Acorn RiscPCs thrown in the mix for the hell of it. Apart from the 486, all the rest seem to load to the desktop, even though RiscOS is in rom, at around the same speed depending on what's loaded on startup. Using a GUI based OS isn't really too much of a hardship if are willing to learn how to use it.

Seem to be getting a lot of socket 7/super socket 7 stuff lately, qot a 166mmx through K6-2 350 I'm keen play with. One has a fresh w2k install which I'll have a good gander at.

Get the QNX demo and tips- http://qnx.projektas.lt/qnxdemo/qnx_demo_disk.htm
ftp://ftp.inode.at/pub/qnx/

Last edited:
i've posted from an 8088 before using bobcat, and i've even done it on an 8088 using arachne. that last one was BRUTAL!! but it did indeed work.

Back