• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pulling files from .dsk images

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
There is probably a really easy answer to this but I'm not finding it.

I have some .dsk images pulled from Apple ][ disks and I want to grab individual files from those and put them on my Windows PC hard drive so I can muck with 'em.

Is there an easy way to do that?

Thanks!

I know this is too easy so it's not what you're looking for but why can't you restore the .dsk images to floppies and grab the desired files from there?

The original files are on an Apple ][ disk. I need to access them on a PC. I can create a .dsk image from the 5.25 to my hard drive, now I need to extract individual files from that... I hope.

My main problem is that the program that works on those files is defunct and I can't seem to find another copy.

If you have Apple's PDS IIe card you can use the ProDOS file extension with the Unidisk controller support to pull files off the disk manually.

If you have Apple's PDS IIe card you can use the ProDOS file extension with the Unidisk controller support to pull files off the disk manually.

I don't have one, at least not one I'm aware of... Could be buried in a system somewhere, but...

What about an emulator?

I can run most of what I need in an emulator on the PC but I can't get the files from the disk on that to the host disk on my PC...

The Apple II oasis emulator includes application ADMANAGR.EXE which is doing what you want.A screenshot in which you can see the contents of the ADTpro disks
Untitled.jpg
You can copy the file(s) you want and then you can paste them onto your hard disk

Last edited:
Perhaps a2tools would be usable? Found on this page, if you Google it, you can find versions for other operating systems too.
Note: I haven't tested this, I just googled it.

Looks like all three would do what I need. I ended up grabbing the CiderPress one. It gives me access to the files but puts me back to square one on the contents. I can get them to the PC but can't get what's in them out without the appropriate software or a bit more hacking than I have time for. :(

Well, you said that you needed the files onto your PC so you could "muck" with them. That part is solved, I believe?
Now, if you need the contents of those files, you better tell us what files / file types they are, and perhaps someone has a solution for you. :)

Well, you said that you needed the files onto your PC so you could "muck" with them. That part is solved, I believe?
Now, if you need the contents of those files, you better tell us what files / file types they are, and perhaps someone has a solution for you. :)

Yep. I did all of the mucking I was capable of (time and ability wise.)

These are data files from Personal Ancestry File 2.0, a genealogy program for the Apple ][ line. The PC versions are supposed to be able to import them, but it didn't work well...

So I'm back to finding a working copy of the Apple ][ version.

Is it possible to run something like ddrescue on the floppy with the bad sectors? It's my understanding that the disk encoding (I think) is different so you can't just plop an Apple II disk into a PC floppy drive, but I didn't know if there were any other methods to try.

Another FWIW (found while googling "paf 2.0 format"):
"Legacy 4 from Millennia Corp can directly import PAF 2 data. You
can then use Legacy to convert the data to the GEDCOM format that
any Genealogy program (including PAF5) can import. You can
download a free basic version of Legacy from
www.legacyfamilytree.com the download is about 15 MB"

HTH

Back