• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Repairing Small Broken Plastic Parts.

That looks like the baseplate (below the CPU under the PCB). Those can be all over the place, including metal. It's the top brackets that the heatsink actually clips to--and it is those tabs in the center that break off. It really is a crappy arrangement. If I were into zamak casting, I'd be tempted to make some up.

Last edited:
On the other hand, there are plastic bits that are nearly impossible to repair, as far as I can tell. My most recent case in point is the heatsink retention bracket on older AMD (AM2, AM3...) CPUs. Eventually, given heat, tension and age, the likelihood of one of the tabs breaking off is finite. There is an actual market for replacements, also plastic.
A couple of years ago, I ran into an all-metal version of these, but it seems to have lapsed into very-hard-to-find-land. One of my boards uses these, but my most recent will have to make-do with the plastic replacements.
71hYvI1-yNL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg
My current machine uses these to hold on the AIO cooler on AM4 (ryzen 3600 now, ty AJ!). Wish there were metal ones available.

I assume you mean the tab in the centre of the bracket? Why not mill the rest of the tab flat and bind+glue a new piece on. Could even be a small rectangular scrap of aluminium.
I don't think it'd work--the tab is under considerable tension from the heat sink clip--the base plastic is already weakened. I could possibly take a hunk of aluminum and mill and bend it to form an appropriate bracket, but it's just not worth the effort, compared to buying a 10 pack of the things from China for $10. Shel Siverstein was right--everything's gonna be plastic by-and-by.

With binding repairs, they are almost always stronger than the original. It wouldn't be the new tab that cracks off, it would be somewhere along the rest of the bracket.

Back