• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RSTS v7 Fortran and other Layered Products?

noworld

Does anyone know of a source for RSTS v7 Fortran and other Layered Products for running on the SIMH emulator? I have RSTS/E 7 running on a PDP-11, but would like the Fortran languge on there if possible...

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I have been able to install RSTS v9 on an 11/73 simulator, so I may just go with that...

Just noticed that my PDP-11 simh install is running RSTS/E v10 not v9, but if I recall correctly those layered products should still run perfectly fine on v9.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I have been able to install RSTS v9 on an 11/73 simulator, so I may just go with that...
I have RSTS v9 installed on my 11/84. Too bad it's stuck in the garage. I can no longer move this beast by myself.

The only stuff I know of is here:-

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/software.html

but I believe part of the problem is that the RSTS licences are still in private hands, a company called XX2247 who don't seem to want to talk about hobbyist licences...

Well, who that is isn't a secret, although perhaps "company" =/= "organization"? Anyone talked to John recently about it?

Name John Wilson
Organization XX2247
Address 139 Stafford Road
City Monson
State / Province Massachusetts
Postal Code 01057
Country US
Phone +1.4132674197
Email wilson@dbit.com

but I believe part of the problem is that the RSTS licences are still in private hands, a company called XX2247 who don't seem to want to talk about hobbyist licences...
Does email to them just go unanswered, or do they reply and say they aren't interested? The owner is apparently a former RSX developer, was a project lead at Mentec, and is now at Microsemi and involved in open source - he has contributed a number of things to the Linux kernel, both individually and on behalf of Microsemi. I would expect to at least receive a response of some kind. There was apparently a kerfluffle a couple of years ago, with various people piling on, which may have alienated the owner. It might be possible to get at least some sort of statement from the owner if he was approached politely about it. Even if the answer is no, for some reason which may be outside of their control, that information could be posted along with the available downloads so the question doesn't keep coming up. If someone with a more long-time presence here wants to do it, just PM me for contact information. If there's a consensus that folks want me to do it, that's fine too.

I have been doing a bit of 'digging' with some ex. business contacts who worked formerly for Mentec.

They have pointed me to a different individual who they believe holds the IPR for a number of former DEC/Mentec software products. I have an e-mail address so I would be willing to ask if I knew exactly what we wanted from them.

Dave

I have been doing a bit of 'digging' with some ex. business contacts who worked formerly for Mentec.

They have pointed me to a different individual who they believe holds the IPR for a number of former DEC/Mentec software products. I have an e-mail address so I would be willing to ask if I knew exactly what we wanted from them.

Dave

Is he on the east coast?
We are looking for the layered products for RSX, RSTS and RT-11

I only have his e-mail address, so he could be anywhere. I also have his company name so I will look it up tomorrow when I get into work.

RSX was mentioned as well as RSTS.

I would like to keep the initial conversation to 'can you release the software for non-commercial hobbyist use'. I have an interest in talking with him about commercial licenses for use within the company I work for.

I wouldn't like to start asking for access to loads of software and documentation at this point in time. It might frighten him off!

What should I be asking for - given that I have constrained the request as above?

Of course, he may not have the IPR or doesn't reply to my e-mail...

Dave

Back