• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SBC6120-RetroBrew Computers Edition - KiCAD, Gerber PCBs & Partial IC Kits

MarsMan2020

Experienced Member
Hello VCF DEC group!

Recently I've been working on a project to take the SBC6120 design/source files provided by Robert Armstrong on the Spare Time Gizmos website and create a new version of the board.

I'm calling this the 'SBC6120-RetoBrew Computers Edition' and there is a wiki page for the board here on the RBC wiki

We've gone through 2 versions of prototypes - 6 of us built rev 0.99 prototype boards and I've built 1 rev 1.00 board - and final testing of the 1.00 prototype board with a STG FP6120 will be getting underway soon.

Notable differences from the original STG boards include:
-Routed as a 2-layer PCB
-SRAM changed to Qty 2 128k x 8-bit AS6C1008's
-LED display footprint updated to allow use of square LEDs + resistors, or the original integrated display unit + wire jumpers
-Reset switch changed to a slight more available part/different footprint
-Added jumpers to allow either 27C256 EPROM or 28C256 EEPROMs
-Added a jumper, fuse, and capacitor to allow power to be supplied to Pin 20 of J20, which can power some IDE->CF adapters
-Changed TP1 into a 2-pin jumper with a ground pin, allowing an external reset switch to be connected

The complete KiCAD and Gerber files are available on the Wiki under the GNU FDL/GPL licenses for anyone who would like to take a look or have some boards made. Thanks to Robert Armstrong for making his designs available!

In addition to the Gerber files, I am going to make a run of the final Rev 1.10 boards soon, as well as put together some IC kits with the HD6120, HD6402, 2 EEPROMs, and 3 GALs. PCBs will be $20, and parts kits will be between $75-$90 depending on how much interest there is & the final cost of parts.

If anyone is interested in getting a few of these boards or a parts kit, you can fill in your information into this Google form - and I'll order parts accordingly and contact you when I have hardware in hand. Since I don't intent to collect any funds until I have hardware in hand and ready to ship - please only put down serious interest! I should be able to get ICs for about 14 more kits - I'll do first come first serve in the order people fill out the form if there is more interest than that & update the form to be PCBs-only accordingly. My plan is to keep the form open until Friday the 28th.

I'll also note that this is strictly a hobby project of mine, with no official association with Spare Time Gizmos - I just thought this group might contain a few interested people. I know there was a thread a while back where a few people bought HD6120 chips.

Andrew B.

Folks sorry for hijacking a PDP-8 thread, but will there ever be or does already exist an RT11 capable PDP-11 SBC? Ideally with FDC.

Folks sorry for hijacking a PDP-8 thread, but will there ever be or does already exist an RT11 capable PDP-11 SBC? Ideally with FDC.

I'll derail my own thread a bit - I am not sure how hardware customization works for RT-11, but John Monahan was at one point working on an S-100 J-11 card. Here's a link to the thread - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/s100computers/x8YrjwkcV54/discussion - he asked for help from experienced DEC software folks and mentioned possibly laying out a future board with DEC-compatible IO devices to support existing software.

Might be worth bumping that thread of the S100Computers Google Group with some more thoughts if anyone has them.

Is this design still using the Harris chip? How obtainable are those chips?

Yes, it is using the HD-6120 (the actual chip P/Ns are 'HD1-6120-<number based on temp range>' to search around for online) and the HD-6402 ('HD3-6402-<number based on temp range>') availability is spotty but I should be able to put together all the 'hard to find IC' kits people want with tested parts for this 1 run.

I have wanted to get one of the Spare Time Gizmos units off and on over the years, but I came upon them too late in the game.

I'm in - I posted as requested for one board and one parts kit.

This board, married up to Oscar's blinkenlights PiDP-8 kit would be awesome!

smp

Last edited:
I'm in too (filled in the google page a couple of days ago). I'm on the retrobrew forum as well so I had been thinking about it for a while.

>This board, married up to Oscar's blinkenlights PiDP-8 kit would be awesome!

I was thinking the same.

I'm in too (filled in the google page a couple of days ago). I'm on the retrobrew forum as well so I had been thinking about it for a while.

>This board, married up to Oscar's blinkenlights PiDP-8 kit would be awesome!

I was thinking the same.

One of the other members on the RBC forums is working on a front panel board that has all the required ICs on a small PCB and allows the switches & LEDs to be remotely mounted in whatever configuration/front panel the builder wants. The schematic will be based on the STG FP6120 board which is a PDP-8/E panel.

The front panel implementation is kind of strange however - it uses a software interrupt to latch the required bits onto a set of buffers. The HD-6120 was designed for implementations where no physical front panel was available, so adding it back in can be a bit of a pain. To have a PDP-8/I panel like Oscar's, software changes to the ROM would be required - and I'm not sure if it would be possible.

Sorry for also adding to the noise.

I'm currently working on the J11 hack. I've got it working on a breadboard with 128k words of RAM and a single serial port. I am now expanding it to include ROM, more I/O, etc. All my logic is built into 22V10's. I've played with the MMU and have that working. I'm planning on have a boot ROM. If others are interested pm me. I'd love to collaborate and end up with an SBC that will run RT11.

len

Sorry for also adding to the noise.

I'm currently working on the J11 hack. I've got it working on a breadboard with 128k words of RAM and a single serial port. I am now expanding it to include ROM, more I/O, etc. All my logic is built into 22V10's. I've played with the MMU and have that working. I'm planning on have a boot ROM. If others are interested pm me. I'd love to collaborate and end up with an SBC that will run RT11.

len

Whoa! Please start your own thread for this! I would be very interested. Would you have a bus available? Could it go on the S-100 bus (definitely dreaming here).

smp

I filled your form in for a kit.

Thanks for reviving this nice project.

Will we get some feedback via e-mail (or whatever) regarding that an order has been registered and what the final cost will be?

Just want to make sure we don't miss out due to an IT error somewhere...

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:
Back