• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Senior Member status

Hi
maybe a viewer ranking might be better. If a viewer that a post
was particularly helpful or relevant he could mark the post.
Each member would get a mix of + , neutral and - post.
Dwight

But seriously though I'm not sure if it's possible here, though another forum I visit has the ability of withholding your number of posts from increasing depending on which section of the forum you post in, namely the chit-chat section on that forum (which most people post in strangely enough) doesn't increase your level of posts. Perhaps something similar could be done here for the General Off-Topic and Rants section?

That is certainly possible here.

maybe a viewer ranking might be better. If a viewer that a post was particularly helpful or relevant he could mark the post. Each member would get a mix of + , neutral and - post.

I'm pretty sure there's a rating system in the software as well.

There are risks, however, and I'd hate to be sponsoring some kind of geek popularity contest in the end. . . ;)

I'm leaning towards custom titles for some members based on the expertise they've shown, but I'm not sure how that'd work either.

I will say that I'm waiting for the next major version of this software. There are some nice features in there that may render this conversation moot.

Another Thought?

Another Thought?

Those of us that have been on this forum for a while tend to know which of us is knowledgeable in certain areas, and lean on them a bit more for answers. New people to the forum generally don't.

What I was wondering is, instead of making up some new kind of way of distinguishing "senior members", how about get Subject Matter Experts (SME's) in different areas, and add their handles under the forum topic area. This would be totally voluntary, but would let people know who the most knowledgeable members were in that forum section.

Just a thought.

I for example used to be (Don't know if I stillam) one of the members with the highest number of posts. Am I also one of the most knowledgeable members? I think not. I just asked lots of questions
Funny you should mention the number of your posts in post #666. Is there something you're not telling us?
Besides, if we do change the rank system based on posts/join date, Terry would go mad with power.

Careful, he might be listening...

Last edited:
I kinda like Worm, Apprentice, Journeyman, Master, Senior Master, Guru, Wizard, & God (for Erik). If further fragmentation is required, each category could be broken down further, e.g., Apprentice Worm, etc.

Hi
One other thing is that I don't tend to read every post.
I tend to not pay too much attention to TRS80 or PC
related post. Still, sometimes I may have something to
add. As Erik knows, I'm a trouble shooter but I'm somewhat
selective about what I'll spend my time on.
I do get a kick out of seeing people refering to a 386 PC
as vintage.
I just wonder what Erik would put down for my areas
of knowledge. In some areas I'm maybe one of maybe 10 people
in the world that have any knowledge of some particular
machine ( Nicolet 1080 or the Canon Cat come to mind ).
In other cases, I have general knowledge on various
generic machines.
I'm no indepth knowledge of OS's. Even though I use a Lenix
machine at work, I have little knowledge of setting one up.
I have vertually no knowledge of web pages and forums
like this.
How would one label such a person to distinguish them from
another?
It is surely a problem.
Dwight

Oh, I get it.. we're all replying to this post to secretly get up our count. Ok. I'm on it. j/k

Nah, I don't think it matters really.. I mean yes I was wondering when I could get senior member under my name but that's just because it was there taunting me.

I think all this scripting stuff to get a rank is too much work for something kinda pety as a "look at me!" type of setting. I dunno.. maybe it's just me that doesn't care for attention.

I think in the control panel area if possible and if not a lot of work you could just list check boxes for your areas of knowledge or collectible interest or even what you own (although that could get way too long too) and then it could just put that under your name assuming it won't thicken the posts too much. Obviously it's no help trying to label each user themselves with any automated or human technique.

I suppose you could alternatively just go by the size of their collection, or even change the rankings to goofy hobbiest, enthusiest, packrat (archivist?), collector, super collector, museum, creator .. I dunno.. this still might cause forms of jealousy though which may be unavoidable.

A funny but again more PITA idea would be to let you select the Manufacturer and you work your way up the product line via posts lol. Although I don't know if starting off as a Kim-1 and ending up as an AmigaOne would be better or working your way down to the rarest/oldest one.

- John

You cats are phunny.....

I guess Druid would be ElectroGenius...
Terry would be GimmeEverythingCuzImightHaveSpace-Dude...
Chuck....where the heck is Chuck? Someone call 911 - hey...he's 911 now...
KB2...geez...where do we start?

Heh - wonder what "title" you're all gonna throw on ME :confused:

T

I'll greatly take my occupation title of "Chief Technical Weed Supervisor" if that's appropriate? Seems to spark some comments! :-D

Otherwise "The Extreme CP/M User" has a nice ring to it! :-D Though I'm worried that people will assume I'm using CP/M on every system, rather than programming for a particular system! :-o

CP/M User.

I have looked at forum rules and tried a search as well, and this looks like the most relevant thread. How many posts should I have before promoting from Junior Member? I thought it was 10 posts but I am still a junior member and it is a bit annoying to wait 2-3 days in order to have my post visible, most of the time conversation is way past and my post is already obsolete or irrelevant.

senior is a 100 posts IIRC (but I may be wrong). In any case, the moderation part is not linked to senior level. It's much lower than that.

We have moderators, junior members, senior members, but only one Space Commander!

You're going to be censured for forgetting the Member of the typing pool and Site Administrator. :)

I thought about asking for Supreme Commander but really would prefer people think I look like Stephen Grief than Jacqueline Pierce!

You folks are funny. . . but I'm with ya.

Post your list of proposed titles and associated post counts and I'll see what I can do. :D

id say 1500 to 2000 posts for senior member OR 6 to 8 years of membership. Does that sound fair?

The current settings are 30 posts for member and 100 posts for senior member.

id say 1500 to 2000 posts for senior member OR 6 to 8 years of membership. Does that sound fair?
I've been on forums where most of the posts were low quality and obviously from people who were trying to get their post counts up to unlock the next title. I'm glad this isn't one of those.

Back