• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Show us your Tandy Computers!

BoxkmF8.jpg
Tandy 2500SX/20 restored and sold.
BNeM14Y.jpg
Tandy 3000 NL awaiting parts with 3 TRS-80 Model 4, 2 TRS-80 Model 3 in various stages of restorations.

Recently scored a TRS-80 still in the box at a garage sale. Totally blown away by it. I've no prior experience with these machines, but I'm told that I can simulate a tape drive and get it working for some games without too much trouble. Here it is on the bench!
Box
TRS80

Before you power it on, replace the Class X/Y capacitors in the power supply, if they haven't been already, because those almost ALWAYS fail after 30+ years, and they have a LOT of magic smoke in them.

*edit*
I was thinking of the model 3 or 4, but it might be worth checking the CoCo's power brick too.

Here are a few of my Tandy's:

20190724_205600.jpg20190724_205650.jpg20190724_205701.jpg20190724_205807.jpg

I have a few more under my benches but I don't have the room to display them all. I will have the at the assembly.

I've still got the original box from my RSX, but unfortunately it's had water damage. It's intact and stable, but has an ugly splotch in the middle of the one face.

Here are photos I took of most of my Tandy machines...though there are a few I still haven't photographed - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy When I created the photo gallery, I created empty folders for most models, even though I don't have them all. Didn't add anything for the laptops though...but I've got a couple of those. My first computer was a 1000SL (the family computer back in the day), and 2nd was a 3000HD someone gave me for the cost of shipping. Still have them both, but the 3000 got messed up by a battery leak. I disassembled it some years ago to try and fix the rusted case parts and possibly see about fixing the motherboard, but never got any further...assuming I can still dig up all the parts...really should at least get rid of the rust and put it back together...

Maybe if time allows I'll dig out and photograph some more Tandy's this weekend...it's long overdue!

Wesley

IMG_20190805_143315.jpg

My Tandy 1000 TL/2. 40MB Seagate ST351A/X, 768k ram, 720k and 360k disk drives. Math coprocessor enroute. I had a 1000SL as a kid; sadly, it got tossed a few years back. That one was MINT!

I had a 1000SL as a kid; sadly, it got tossed a few years back. That one was MINT!

Story of all our lives, I'm afraid. My Tandy 1000HX and 1000RSX, I held on to for nostalgia reasons, but I had a sizable collection over a decade ago (IBM 5150 and several other PC/XT clones, Mac Plus, Vic-20, etc) that I'd tossed away because they were "too old to use, but not old enough to be valuable." I just wasn't into collecting vintage computers at the time. Had I known, I'd have kept them.

This is my most-recent picture of the collection. It includes all six Tandy/Radio Shack machines and a Platinum Apple IIe that is the only non-Tandy machine in the collection.

4BF688F8-CA9D-4A1B-B853-3A72C31A850F.jpg

Very nice, eveyone needs an MT-32 in their retro collection imo. :cool:

Yes, but the problem is finding one at a good price. Those babies do not run cheap. Average around $400 for the unit itself, and more with the MPU-401 card. :sad:

Besides, unless you're using the RSX, you're playing for the Tandy 3-voice sound anyways. The 1000 RSX does have the chip, but they put it on a different port, so excluding the version of Deskmate made for that system, most games that advertise Tandy video/sound don't even know it's there. Only a RARE handful of games are capable of using the RSX's 3-voice chip.

Back