• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

single sided 3.5 floppy

Twospruces

Veteran Member
I recently saw a box of Fujifilm MF1DD single sided 3.5 inch floppy diskettes.

Were these really uncommon? I can't find much reference to 3.5 disk drives being single sided?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
first macintosh (128kb and 512kb) and the apple lisa 2 had single sided 400kb 3.5" floppy disks. Sony invented the 3.5" floppy and it was thier drive that was single sided.

Last edited:

krebizfan

Veteran Member
First one was probably the Sony SMC-70, about 2 years before the Mac. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_SMC-70
Next major one was the HPIB drive. The success of its use at HP helped create the secret push to replace the Twiggy. http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=288

I am not sure what was the first machine with a Shugart interface 3.5" single sided drive. I am fairly certain that a machine from 1984 did it before the IBM JX in late 1984. The Atari ST (1985) got most of the attention for single sided 3.5" drives. How could I forget the Gavilan? http://oldcomputers.net/gavilan.html

There was also the 40 track 3.5" drives which were made by Brother and probably best known around here as the basis for the Tandy PDD. I can't find a date on when Brother introduced the line.

Last edited:

NeXT

Veteran Member
CGS_11812.JPG

CGS_11813.JPG

VERAULT

Veteran Member
They are uncommon. Definitely a box of disks you want to hold on to, just as this thread shows.

Speaking of which I need to determine which of my 8" disks are single or double sided. Is it the Double has two index holes? I forget I need to look that up and categorize them.

Last edited:

Timo W.

Veteran Member
I have a bunch of random single-sided 3.5" disks as well. Thing is, they format just fine as double sided. I assume the 2nd side just failed the quality test in the factory and such disks were then sold as single-sided for systems that used them. They are coated on both sides.

Same is true for all single-sided 5.25" disks I own, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20230125_164009313.jpg
    IMG_20230125_164009313.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 6

VERAULT

Veteran Member
8" SS disks will work as DS if a hole is punched in the appropriate spot.

Could be useful depending on how much of have of which. I do want to fix my two QUME double sided drives this spring and I figure that cabinet might make a good Disk making station if its up and working.

Twospruces

Veteran Member

Timo W.

Veteran Member
So you never had disks with mold spots that you had to clean?

This is a very common issue. So common that you can find 3d-printable helpers for most disk formats (to keep the shutter open and a knob to rotate the disk).

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I guess that I've been fortunate... Have processed mold-encrusted 1/2" tapes, however. There were also 3.5" floppies without the return spring--the shutter was manually operated. You can accomplish the same thing by removing the return spring in a regular 3.5" diskette housing.