• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So, I quit smoking...

roberttx

Veteran Member
My last one was at 9PM on Thursday. I used Alan Carr's book (The easy way to stop smoking) and, so far, it's going well. It can get a bit tricky when I fall into old patterns of thought, but once I catch myself and get my head straight, I'm back on track.

Friday, I learned two things:

1. My truck smelled like the world's most disgusting ashtray. I've finally got done detailing it - now it smells like Armorall and Febreze.

2. Stopping smoking lowers your tolerance for alcohol. I had my usual drink, Friday night and got absolutely wasted!

Well good luck with it. I've always thought the best thing to do was give up *between* smoking cigarettes.

I quit oh about 8 times in my life. As I got older, the point where I stopped drifted further away from the point I made the decision. Last time I quit was early in 2012. Took me a couple of months that time. Was puking and getting sick when I got up in the morning. Largely on account of my blood pressure I was to learn much later that year. But if I kept smoking I figure I could have died.

I switched to menthols in tne early 90s. I get nauseous getting even a whiff of regular tobacco. Oh so disgusting. I laugh at the people who says they relax when they smoke. I could feel my heart starting to race with the first.drag.

I've never smoked and Robertx has just discovered how odious the smell is to those of us who have intact sniffers. The moment I open a package of old gear, I can tell if the owner smoked. If a car with windows open passes me on the road, I can tell that it belongs to a smoker, even if the driver isn't smoking.

Good for you Robert!

My old man and old lady smoked but have given up due to health reasons. They never smoked whilst driving and usually smoked outside under the varanda.

Last edited:
stopping smoking lowers your tolerance for alcohol?

I've never heard that before, to be honest.

However if someone says they "quit" smoking, then it must be a habit, or a daily, or multiple times a day occurrence not just me who can have a cigar or a pipe, even every now and then but am not addicted in any way.

So maybe the chemical composition in my body was not changed, because I don't smoke nearly enough for any change to happen.

I'd be interested to see if any other "Real smokers" who have "quit", also have the same experience as you do with alcohol.

My father successfully quit smoking. The hospital wouldn't allow it with an oxygen feed. Up until that time, he was begging smokes from visitors to his hospital room. They finally discharged him--to a hospice.

Don't smoke--the end can be really horrible.

I quit in 2011 when my wife was in the hospital a lot. Had to leave the grounds completely to smoke, which took away my time with her. I used Chantix, which worked well for me.

My dad stopped and lived a much-better life. My brother stopped and saved a butt-load of money! Both my sister and daughter refuse to "kill the monkey." They claim it settles their nerves. I never started: I substituted computers and audio electronics! I prefer breathing, too.

However if someone says they "quit" smoking, then it must be a habit, or a daily, or multiple times a day occurrence not just me who can have a cigar or a pipe, even every now and then but am not addicted in any way.

Back in 2003 I was up to 2 packs a day. I can't remember for what period I smoked, at least 6 months I guess. I loved smoking so much I'd forego sleep, just to have an extra few.And since I was never a chain smoker, that few would take more then an hour. In 2009 when I started up again I remember in 1 instance getting off work at say 6 buying a fresh pack and the pack was gone by 1:30am. People might say I never smoked for a long enoug period of time, probably never more then 1 1/2 - 2 years. But, uh, duh, that's the whole point. My conscience would bother me or whatever, and though clearly I made excuses to do it for a while, I'd kick it before long. So don't be a big wet poon tang, just stop and don't look back.

Used to do about 2 packs a day and quit cold turkey January 1, 1986. No formulas, pills, 12 step programs, shrinks, threatening medicos, or hypnosis. Make no mistake, it was tough for about 3 weeks or so and then it was like I never started in the first place.

I never heard about quitting smoking lowering your alcohol tolerance, but that might explain why he's such a lightweight. The amount of beer it takes me to get a light buzz will get him drunk enough so he can't even walk straight He quit for good about 5 or 6 years ago, but now he's turning into a pot head.

I never even started smoking. My father had a talk with me about drugs around the time I started high school. He told me that if I wanted to try pot he wouldn't have a problem with that, but if he ever caught me smoking cigarettes he would kick my ass. I had watched him try to quit smoking before so I believed him. What really kept me off of pot was Cheech and Chong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhzgY-EadHA

I was doing well with vaping I was down to half a pack a day then some things
happened and I started smoking more so my goal now is to just get back to
vaping 100% since I did feel a lot better plus as all things I kind of turned it
into a hobby also I make my own e juice and make my own coils..

I started smoking on and off when i was 12, I was going in the pubs at 14, When i turned 16 i was smoking and drinking alcohol regularly, I quit drinking 20 odd years ago because i didn't enjoy it anymore but i still smoke, Several times over the years i halfheartedly tried to quit smoking, I was spending so much money on all sorts of useless crap to help me stop but it never worked and it was cheaper to start smoking again, My last attempt at quitting i went 'Cold Turkey' for 6 weeks and i remember feeling so much better for it, Something happened and i started smoking again.
My point is if you 'Really' want to quit smoking you will, No point in halfheartedly trying because it will not work.

Well like I said I made the decision to stop about a half dozen times in my life. Between the decision and the quitting the time period ranged from a few hours to a couple months. But I stopped. I'm able to exercise considerable will power ... sometimes. But not nearly often enough. I did see my father quit cold turkey. We were at South of the Border. I actually loved those jaunts down to Florida with my p's. And I always had a thing for fireworks. I was a little let down when we finally got there. It wasn't quite the gargantuan warehouse full of crappola I was led to imagine (watching the signs for how many hundreds of miles. The one I got the most kick out of was "Fill your trunk with Pedro's junk!" LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL). So anyway dad decides to take advantage of the sales and buys a whole carton of cigabutts. I can't remember what brand he puffed, but I do remember he drank those tall Schaeffer beers. So next he decides.to check his blood pressure. Big mistake Pedro having one of them around! And mind you he doesn't even take his bulky winter jacket off. I guess it was a little too high for his comfort. Not too far down the road from Pedro's he rolls down the window and tosses the whole carton. And according to him he was never anything bit a half-arsed smoker to begin with.

I did like SOTB and Stucky's! Loved them pecan rolls.

Edit: and I just did 2 hours on the exercise bike. Another thing that's important in order to feel better. I thought I would be wiped out. I did a single hour months ago and felt worse. I guess I am in some kind of shape (even if I weigh 305). I'm going to make a point of doing 2 more hours Wednesday.

Last edited:
They say (not that I would know, I failed to learn how to smoke, many years ago) that stopping is the easy part; now you have to stay away from starting again. Best of luck!
Remember: now you have a bit of money that you can spend on other things that aren't good for you!

I never heard about quitting smoking lowering your alcohol tolerance...

I think it's more that nicotine, being a stimulant as well as a poison, boosts your tolerance, while you're using it. So, when you stop, you perceive the absence of the boost as a decrease. At least, that's how it was for me.

In other news, I did too good of a job detailing my truck. SWMBO is taking it to work, today, while I detail her car.

I smoked while I was becoming a teenager. My dad smoked and I could get a smoke or 2 out of his pack every couple of days. It was being cool at the time. Then my dad had a case of bacterial pneumonia and lost 1/2 of one of his lungs. The doctor told him he could breath or smoke. He chose breathing. My source of free cigs dried up. I've since never had the slightest thought of picking it back up.
Dwight

Used to do about 2 packs a day and quit cold turkey January 1, 1986. No formulas, pills, 12 step programs, shrinks, threatening medicos, or hypnosis. Make no mistake, it was tough for about 3 weeks or so and then it was like I never started in the first place.

Same for me, smoked from early 80's till 2010, cold turkey worked for me, it's all in the head IMHO.
You just have to convince yourself, and it is the hard part (to convince yourself to quit).
What helped me was that at the time our "liberal" government increased the cigarette taxes at the time, "for our own good" of course.
Guess what, it worked 100% in my case, decided that these bastards won't get a cent from me anymore.
And they didn't.

My father successfully quit smoking. The hospital wouldn't allow it with an oxygen feed. Up until that time, he was begging smokes from visitors to his hospital room. They finally discharged him--to a hospice.

Don't smoke--the end can be really horrible.

Anyone remember that posthumous Yul Brynner ad for the American Lung Association? That just chilled me as a kid, this voice from the grave saying "don't do what I did."

Back