• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 3800 HD Repair/Restoration

Oh, that reminds me, leeb, do you know what kind of screws are in that Tandy power supply? I figured I'd try to crack it open and see if I could fix it, but I've never seen screws quite like that before. It's not Torx, Hex, Robertson, etc... I figure it might be some kind of weird security screw. In that case, I'm probably out of luck.

I have never considered opening one, but from what little I can see of it, it is more of a 'lug bolt' that would need a socket of some sort... possibly square.
Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. And I suspect your vision is better too. :p

EDIT:

Okay... now that I have my contacts out I can see better...
They are star-type drive... sort of an inverse-torx.

Hope that helps! :D

Last edited:
I have never considered opening one, but from what little I can see of it, it is more of a 'lug bolt' that would need a socket of some sort... possibly square.
Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. And I suspect your vision is better too. :p

EDIT:

Okay... now that I have my contacts out I can see better...
They are star-type drive... sort of an inverse-torx.

Hope that helps! :D

Looks like you hit the nail on the head, so to speak; It appears to be something known as "external" torx. Never seen it before, and I definetely don't have a tool for it. Guess that was a dead end. Well, it was worth a shot.

You know I can see replacing stuff like that but I always attempt to fix it and if I can't I usually keep all if it for parts... I think of it like this... I like keeping things original and these things aren't going to be made anytime soon like they were so why not keep all if it you can and fix all you can... Now I see why you may just want to toss the power pack and get a new one considering well... It's just a power pack... But it has the Tandy on it and there aren't replacements like that unless you buy it used... In which case you are tossing one of a limited supply of original ones... Like I said before I may be a bit of a hoarder but... I'd really like to keep this tech available and original so that people can look at this stuff years from now and actually see the real thing... That's my view on things anyway... Bit of a rant sorry~ :rolleyes:

You know I can see replacing stuff like that but I always attempt to fix it and if I can't I usually keep all if it for parts... I think of it like this... I like keeping things original and these things aren't going to be made anytime soon like they were so why not keep all if it you can and fix all you can... Now I see why you may just want to toss the power pack and get a new one considering well... It's just a power pack... But it has the Tandy on it and there aren't replacements like that unless you buy it used... In which case you are tossing one of a limited supply of original ones... Like I said before I may be a bit of a hoarder but... I'd really like to keep this tech available and original so that people can look at this stuff years from now and actually see the real thing... That's my view on things anyway... Bit of a rant sorry~ :rolleyes:

I can appreciate your perspective. I'm the same way, for the most part. If it will fit, I'll stuff it in the box with the 1500. You're welcome to it.

Ok thanks! I'll see if I can get it working again! I've got a BUNCH of circuit boards for gutted electronics! Like I said a hoarder. XD
But I keep most of those boards for purposes like this to find strange parts off a bunch of boards out of random devices to fix other devices. Confusing no?
I also have a bunch of extra power packs I'm sure they'll have similar parts. I'm assuming its something simple like a blown internal fuse or cap or something... Probably no big deal, nothing hard for me to fix!
The awesome thing about these older electronics is they have most through-hole or large pitched SMD devices so it's easy to work on!

If you want I could send it back to you if I get it working and you need it!
I like keeping this tech in use and working I don't necessarily always have a use for it myself though~

Ok thanks! I'll see if I can get it working again! I've got a BUNCH of circuit boards for gutted electronics! Like I said a hoarder. XD
But I keep most of those boards for purposes like this to find strange parts off a bunch of boards out of random devices to fix other devices. Confusing no?
I also have a bunch of extra power packs I'm sure they'll have similar parts. I'm assuming its something simple like a blown internal fuse or cap or something... Probably no big deal, nothing hard for me to fix!
The awesome thing about these older electronics is they have most through-hole or large pitched SMD devices so it's easy to work on!

If you want I could send it back to you if I get it working and you need it!
I like keeping this tech in use and working I don't necessarily always have a use for it myself though~

Nah, it's cool. You can keep it. I'm sure you'll find a use for it.

Jackpot!!!

Jackpot!!!

Got the 2810 today (actually yesterday, but FedEx cant tell a front door from a kitchen door.. :rolleyes: ) !

Not only does it have 2 sticks of RAM in it... IT HAS A MODEM TOO!!!! :cool:

SOOOO Happy! :D

Got the 2810 today (actually yesterday, but FedEx cant tell a front door from a kitchen door.. :rolleyes: ) !

Not only does it have 2 sticks of RAM in it... IT HAS A MODEM TOO!!!! :cool:

SOOOO Happy! :D

Awesome! When we get both our system's running we can chat over them! XD

Last edited:
A mixed bag...

A mixed bag...

Well, the 2810 is proving to be great!
Unfortunately, the TWO math chips I ordered ended up being ONE...
ONE,
which had crushed leads that, during attempts to straighten them, broke them off...

The 2810 has what seems to be a COMPLETE DOS 4 system, with DESKMATE, Lotus, WP 5.1 and others...
AFAIK, all the necessary 2810-specific files are there, including the TEMM2810.sys file for memory management...

Apparently, dos 6.22 cannot scandisk the 4.x filesystem... interesting in the extreme!
I wonder if that is why I have been having so much trouble with AutoCAD...

I have already transferred all the files to a storage drive... and only need to build a bootable floppy for possible reinstalls.
I need only wait for the HD fix to set and then...

Its SHOWTIME!!!
:D

Well, the 2810 is proving to be great!
Unfortunately, the TWO math chips I ordered ended up being ONE...
ONE,
which had crushed leads that, during attempts to straighten them, broke them off...

The 2810 has what seems to be a COMPLETE DOS 4 system, with DESKMATE, Lotus, WP 5.1 and others...
AFAIK, all the necessary 2810-specific files are there, including the TEMM2810.sys file for memory management...

Apparently, dos 6.22 cannot scandisk the 4.x filesystem... interesting in the extreme!
I wonder if that is why I have been having so much trouble with AutoCAD...

I have already transferred all the files to a storage drive... and only need to build a bootable floppy for possible reinstalls.
I need only wait for the HD fix to set and then...

Its SHOWTIME!!!
:D

Hope your able to finally get AutoCAD running!
Were you supposed to get two math chips and the seller messed up or did you hear it wrong? Also did they say they would either refund or give you a new math chip for the one with broken leads? That's a little ridiculous... I hope you get your math chips.

Back