• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 3800 HD Repair/Restoration

It's not that he hasn't shipped it I just think his country's postal is taking a crap ton of time to ship stuff to the US so... I don't know I'm patient...

Those belts look to be just about right. Intend to order some next payday...
but...

GAWD!!! They sure stick it to ya on shipping, don't they?
$10 for ONE BELT that fits into a small padded envelope and would mail out USPS for < $2...

Same price for 10 of 'em... tho that brings the cost/ea down to $1...
Was just going to order one, until I saw THAT!

WOW... :p

Well, I went ahead and ordered 10 of 'em...
Hope I didn't just eat a bunch of rubber bands! :D
EDIT:
Tho since I will have to eat SOMETHING, at least I'll have them! :p

Last edited:
Well.. I just purchased two old computers two add to my collection... probably over payed a bit but... eh... the one I dont think I would of ever run into again so... and the shipping for them probably was quite a bit for the guy so I think its an ok deal.
Purchased an old IBM 5140 with printer attachment on the end and this old Burroughs which really caught my eye and seems rare...
But anyway... yea... just adding to the collection :rolleyes:
After this I seriously am stopping for the while since I have other things to do like my parents just purchased an old 1954 Packard off ebay and I was going to help restore it and if I got the money to purchase it from them for the price they got it for... only a $1000 so yea not bad if It is worth restoring and such and I have the time... I've got lots of other things to do so I can't afford to get any more computers then that at the moment! :(
But I will try and get the ones I have and will be getting running!

Well, I got news for ya... that nice 'old lady' is going to take over your life. (in a good way)... Hope the work is mostly cosmetic!
:D

Here take a look yourself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954...6571295?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f25c4739f
Looks like its been in that garage for years and the interior from those pictures might even be savable!
Apparently the engine is supposed to be rebuilt and it has good tires. So hopefully its just cleanup and repaint and some mechanical work! Probably some problems but those will show themselves in the future.

The engine may have been rebuilt, but it looks like its been sitting out for a LOONG time...
I would DEFINATELY attempt forced-oil treatment before trying to spin that puppy!

and I'm sending out that 1500 to you tomorrow morning. It should get to you this week.

I got my hands on another 3800, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't need two of them, and this one needs some work, CMOS battery is dead, it's missing the floppy drive, etc... I think I might end up listing it on here so it finds a good home.

'... don't need two of them.'

harrumph. :p

ANY CLUE how many 2810s I happen to have now? (including Panasonic versions)....

AT LEAST.....

FIVE! :D

If I EVER resolve the power-on issue, I will have PLENTY to get rid of!!!
:p

Wow. Leeb you let me know in future time if you ever want to sell one of the 2810s. I will be sure to get one later on I think my 3800 needs a brother anyway. :)
Leeb I will also be purchasing that HD from you but it may take awhile to get it worked out. I am going on a trip for the next two-three days, will have internet but be busy.
I hope you can hold on to that for me leeb because I will be sure to buy it from you.
Paralel if I really could I would be throwing money at you for the other 3800 right now but hah Its going to be quite a while till I purchase another project with two already on the way and this project still going.
Oh also I heard the Burroughs has an 8086 in it. :eek:
It also has that 5 1/4in floppy drive. So my first 808- type chip and computer and my first 5 1/4in floppy drive... this will be interesting... My dad said he worked on 8080's back when he was in the Air Force. He did electronic work for them, I remember he explained how one time while he was stationed in Germany they had a truck and in the back was a bunch of satellite tracking equipment and computers. But yea so will all these projects now I am super excited. Also the Burroughs has its own OS called BTOS I think I recall it being named it is supposed to be able to read and write DOS floppys though so that's good. NOW I need another 5 1/4in floppy to adapt to my desktop computer using one of these cables which I have.
fddcable02.jpg
It should work right? The motherboard connector looks like a standard 3 1/2 floppy connector and can fit in my computer's motherboard properly. I assuming it should work but I'm sure you guys would know for sure before I blow something else up... :confused:

No rush... I still have to 'lock-proof' it and load it up.

Ive been thinking of putting some of the 2810 'working guts' into the Panasonic... so both of them could sit around and 'glow at each other'...

But that would be deceitful... :rolleyes:

Conmega, the 1500 is enroute to you. I'll give you my e-mail, as well as the tracking information some time today.

I'm also going to try to find the right socket for the screws in the AC adapters for the Tandy laptops tomorrow. If I can't find it, I'm just going to use a screw extractor and replace them with Phillips screws. So, either way, I'll be able to get it open, and I'll post high-res pics of what's inside in case it is of use to anyone going forward.

Last edited:
Paralel I thought you threw the power pack in the box with the laptop so I could look at it. If I didn't have the tool for it I would have bought it. Its just... The idea of you using a screw extractor on it sort of makes me cringe. Even if the insides were trash I was going to see if I could transplant a new set of insides so it could be a 'Tandy' power pack still. Just the idea of keeping it original you know? I think of it like a classic car... If the engines bad do you throw out the car? You just put a new engine in and its all good! If you want to go at it with a screw extractor and take a look for yourself see if you can fix it go for it! But I could never use a screw extractor on the thing. I'd actually need to buy a screw extractor in the first place and at that point why not buy the right tool. So yea anyway.
Leeb if you attempt to do some 'transplants' with the laptops you have be sure to take some pics I'd be interested to see what you do!
OH also I got the floppy drive belt like right before I left and put it in my floppy drive and it seemed to fit nicely! Still need to put the drive back together when I get back from my trip and such but yea! Glad it finally came and now I have three more computers on the way. :)
So yea lots to do!

I was originally going to send it, but the replacement power supply I got for the 3800 I bought from leeb didn't work with it, although it does work with my other 3800. I can't really explain that. Leeb said that power supply, when it was functional, did run that 3800, so, my only hope seems to be getting that particular power supply up and running again, if possible.

I only intend to resort to the screw extractor if I have no other choice. I have researched just about every screw I could find, and the ones in the Tandy power supplies don't seem to match anything. I have a feeling they are either some type of screw that is no longer made and was poorly documented, or a completely proprietary screw. In those two cases, the only hope would be using a screw extractor since the socket needed to properly remove them are impossible to find.

If either you or leeb can figure out what kind of screw it is, let me know.

Last edited:
I was originally going to send it, but the replacement power supply I got for the 3800 I got from leeb didn't work with it, although it does work with my other 3800. I can't really explain that. Leeb said that power supply, when it was functional, did run that 3800, so, my only hope seems to be getting that particular power supply up and running again, if possible.

I only intend to resort to the screw extractor if I have no other choice. I have researched just about every screw I could find, and the ones in the Tandy power supplies don't seem to match anything. I have a feeling they are either some type of screw that is no longer made and was poorly documented, or a completely proprietary screw. In those two cases, the only hope would be using a screw extractor since the socket needed to properly remove them are impossible to find.

If either you or leeb can figure out what kind of screw it is, let me know.

Fixed. :p

I mentioned when we found it wouldn't work that it was the ONLY one I have that works with that 3800... That doesn't mean that all the others don't WORK...
It MUST be something unique about the plug/socket combo...

I thought someone listed a set that should work on them... ???

EDIT: Check post #126...

Last edited:
Tools are forever. :D

Use your favorite search engine - "harbor freight coupon" for 20% off.

Mike

Treed while checking for a coupon :cool:

I really doubt that Tandy invested a single penny on proprietary fasteners for a throw-away-and-replace item. However, YMMV.

Last edited:
Looks like I am probably right. No one, including a guy who has worked in nuts, bolts, screws, and assorted other fasteners in the hardware business for more than 40 years, had ever seen this type of screw before. None of the 6 point sockets worked, external torx, hex, line head, 6 point spline, etc...

I'm meeting up with a guy at a local Radio Shack tomorrow who has worked for them since before these power supplies were made, so I'm hoping he at least knows what it is called, and possibly what tool can be used on it. If not, screw extractor, here I come.

I have an endoscope, so I'll try to take a picture of the screws in the sockets, and see if anyone here has seen them before in other electronics and knows what they might be/what can be used to remove them.

Last edited:
Alright I wish you luck!
I know your going through much more then I would have ever to find the right socket so hopefully you will find out what it is!

Back