• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Computer Journal

ziloo

Veteran Member
A while back, there was a publication called "The Computer Journal (TCJ)" from citrus heights, california that dealt with source code and schematics for "do-it-yourself" software and hardware projects. They featured mostly low level projects in hardware, assembly language, 'C', and sometimes Forth. Their articles covered PC's, microcontrollers, and embedded and older systems. They also had many articles on CP/M stuff. Their web site does not exist any longer.

Has anybody heard from them? Does anybody have their back issues?

ziloo said:
A while back, there was a publication called "The Computer Journal (TCJ)" from citrus heights, california that dealt with source code and schematics for "do-it-yourself" software and hardware projects. They featured mostly low level projects in hardware, assembly language, 'C', and sometimes Forth. Their articles covered PC's, microcontrollers, and embedded and older systems. They also had many articles on CP/M stuff. Their web site does not exist any longer.

Has anybody heard from them? Does anybody have their back issues?

I have a couple years worth of back issues in my storage unit. I quit subscribing when they began to support peecees. I'll be going over there later today, so I'll see if I can find 'em.

--T

The Computer Journal occupies a special place in computer history. For years they struggled to survive but eventually succombed cause they weren't hooked to one of the big publishing companies. Don Maislin, one of my CP/M heroes was also very related to them. I feel that more than Byte or Doctor Dobbs they epitomised the hacker(in the older meaning) sensibilities.

R.I.P.

Lawrence

Bad news: I went looking today, but my TCJs were not to be found (at least in the first few layers, I didn't dig very deep (it was cold!)). They prob'ly won't surface until around spring-time, at the anual 'haven't-needed-it-for-five-years' spring cleaning. I'll let ya know.

--T

Back