• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Value of brand new, unopened Commodore PET 2001-8N found in basement

rhyoraptor

I have been hired to clean out an old lady's home recently. Her deceased husband worked in computer and seismic engineering fields and over the years accumulated a lot of electronics. While cleaning the basement, I came across various Commodore computers on a workbench (haven't tried to power them up) including an original PET 2001, a PET 2001-8N, and a Commodore 4040 dual disk drive. I then noticed an unopened box that contains an new PET 2001- 8N purchased in 1979 complete with receipt. The lady is asking me to sell the electronics for her if they're worth anything. She was originally going to have them taken to the recycling center before I showed up but I told her to let me check around first.

My question is: does anyone here know what I should ask for the unopened PET computer? I would like to sell the stuff for her I just need a decent place to start with it all and I'm not seeing brand new ones for sale to give me an idea of where to set the price range. All advice appreciated.

Welcome.

Brand new, still in a box doesn't (of course) equate to a working machine.

It should, however, be cosmetically in very nice condition.

Price wise, it all depends upon the market at the time I am afraid.

Dave

What would help would be some pictures and a location. There are a lot of old ladies on this world :)

That sounds pretty cool; I'd love to have it if the location/price/shipping was workable!

does anyone here know what I should ask for the unopened PET computer?
eBay it for a starting price of $1. Nothing else makes sense, really. Fixed prices don't exist. And people interested in it will most likely offer you less than what it's worth. So eBay is the way to go to get the old lady some good money.

And I'm afraid you need to open the "unopened" one and take pictures, as no one will buy it otherwise. You can't even be sure there is a PET inside the box, since it's not from your own possession. The fact it looks unopened to you means nothing to others.

I agree. I'd never buy a 40 year old unopened box.
Opening it will not decrease the value. as long as you open it carefully and retain all packing materials so you can put it all back in as it was.
You'll also want to ship it in another bigger box to protect the original box. Don't skimp on shipping.

When you take photos, include the serial number label and get a photo of circuit board inside.
I would not try to turn it on though to see if it works, leave that to the buyer. There's a fair chance of chips failing from age just sitting unused.

I keep an eye on all PET sales on Ebay. I would guess at the current market a 2001-N would start at around $600-800US even without the original box.
Prices are generally higher in the UK and Europe so maybe 900-1000 if you're in Europe.

The PET 2001 value will depend a lot on which version it is. The Blue label case badge generally sells for more since collectors like those. The earliest PETs had raised metal case badges painted black and gold..
A lower serial number does not necessarily mean it was made earlier but generally lower numbers are more desirable.

The 4040 will be around $250-400 depending on the buyers looking for one at the time.

Remember though, these values are just guesses based on my experience. Final Ebay sales can vary widely on two identical machines sold during the same week, so YMMV.
You might consider using FB marketplace and Craigslist first for local sales and pickup. If you can sell locally, you don't have to worry about shipping. PETs are notorious for being damaged in shipping.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Brand new, still in a box doesn't (of course) equate to a working machine.

It should, however, be cosmetically in very nice condition.

Price wise, it all depends upon the market at the time I am afraid.

Dave
Thank you for the info! So even though it has been sitting a long time, would it be safe for me to try to turn it on? I'll definitely remove it from the box for pictures.

eBay it for a starting price of $1. Nothing else makes sense, really. Fixed prices don't exist. And people interested in it will most likely offer you less than what it's worth. So eBay is the way to go to get the old lady some good money.

And I'm afraid you need to open the "unopened" one and take pictures, as no one will buy it otherwise. You can't even be sure there is a PET inside the box, since it's not from your own possession. The fact it looks unopened to you means nothing to others.
Thank you for the advice! eBay does sound like the best option. I will open it today and take pictures.

I agree. I'd never buy a 40 year old unopened box.
Opening it will not decrease the value. as long as you open it carefully and retain all packing materials so you can put it all back in as it was.
You'll also want to ship it in another bigger box to protect the original box. Don't skimp on shipping.

When you take photos, include the serial number label and get a photo of circuit board inside.
I would not try to turn it on though to see if it works, leave that to the buyer. There's a fair chance of chips failing from age just sitting unused.

I keep an eye on all PET sales on Ebay. I would guess at the current market a 2001-N would start at around $600-800US even without the original box.
Prices are generally higher in the UK and Europe so maybe 900-1000 if you're in Europe.

The PET 2001 value will depend a lot on which version it is. The Blue label case badge generally sells for more since collectors like those. The earliest PETs had raised metal case badges painted black and gold..
A lower serial number does not necessarily mean it was made earlier but generally lower numbers are more desirable.

The 4040 will be around $250-400 depending on the buyers looking for one at the time.

Remember though, these values are just guesses based on my experience. Final Ebay sales can vary widely on two identical machines sold during the same week, so YMMV.
You might consider using FB marketplace and Craigslist first for local sales and pickup. If you can sell locally, you don't have to worry about shipping. PETs are notorious for being damaged in shipping.
I appreciate the in-depth reply, this is all great info. I will open it today and take pictures. So even if everything looks good/intact, you recommend not trying to turn it on?

That sounds pretty cool; I'd love to have it if the location/price/shipping was workable!
It's in Alaska so I'm sure shipping will be a lot. I will try to open it today and get pictures. The lady says there might be more than one unopened computer down there as her husband was big into collecting electronics as they came out. I've even found some old microcomputers. I'm excited to see what other electronic treasures are hidden!

Resist the temptation to turn it on.

Even though it has been kept in a box for all of these years, some of the components degrade even though the machine is not being used. In fact, you should power up machines on a regular basis and actually USE them to keep some of the components (e.g. large electrolytic capacitors in the power supply) in good working order.

Other components just degrade... Full stop.

>>> I've even found some old microcomputers. I'm excited to see what other electronic treasures are hidden!

So are we!

Alaska is too far for me to pickup. It is too cold as well!

Dave

I never understood he appeal of spending extra to buy styrofoam and a box unless your only purpose was to immediately flip it.

So even if everything looks good/intact, you recommend not trying to turn it on?
Yeah. Believe it or not, the value of these doesn't matter whether they are working or not.
Most repairs are fairly simple and even if it was working when you shipped it, there's no guarantee it will still be working when they get it.

I never understood he appeal of spending extra to buy styrofoam and a box unless your only purpose was to immediately flip it.
For me it's about the completeness of the nostalgia. All of the ephemera is part of the experience of the machine and forms a large part of my memories. When I show other people the computer it helps to also show how they would have gotten one new and in box. My 2 cents anyway. :)

Its not extra for the styrofoam, it is the protection it provides, that is what you are buying. This is very significant.

I really like the notion of an original unused item in its box, multiple reasons , including the styrofoam. The reasons are that the item will be cosmetically good (very likely) All the other items in the electronics are generally easily fixed replaced if any problems. And with a new one in this case, you get a zero hours CRT and it will be free from dust, dirt and corrosion. Its the dream come true.

But, if the item is damaged in shipping its a disaster.

I have found over many years, if you buy something in its original box, where the the styrofoam was custom designed to fit the machine corners and edges, there is far less chance of shipping damage.

Many sellers never pack things like VDU's anywhere well enough (they might try but its still not usually as good). One good example being the IBM 5151, 5153 and 5154 types. However the breakages on these particularly fragile case ones are very low, if they are shipped in their original packaging.

All the seller has to do to properly pack a computer/VDU, if in its original box, is to put a layer of soft material like bubble wrap around that and add an outer box, and there is a high chance the buyer will get it in one piece.

I agree though, a new box & paperwork means nothing, the computer requires inspection, easy enough to see if it is unused. For example, in the TV repair industry, when a CRT got replaced, where to you put the old one ? In the new box of course, then that often went into storage to be found decades later.

I can answer that one. I get a machine that's been well stored plus I get a box I can use either on the shelf as a static prop or display, or if I need to store it again it makes a machine much like the PET easy to stack other boxes on top of.

Brand new and unopened unfortunately also means the new owner typically has a LOT of preventative maintenance they will need to perform. PET's especially are bad for IC failures and the earliest models are the worst due to how special their memory is.

Last edited:
Back