• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage quantum computer collecting?

ftcnet

Experienced Member
qc1.PNG

Is it too early to consider 1st gen quantum computing devices as 'vintage' computers? They look great (like expensive chandeliers) and were literally as cool as can be. What happens to these early attempts at quantum computing? Do they get canabalized to make subsequent models? Do they end up at recyclers?

A "working" quantum computer needs all that. Get a little resin to support the unit and have a nice conversation piece that is probably about as useful as quantum computer.

Just set up an empty plinth in your rec room labeled “quantum computer”. According to some of the “many worlds” interpretations of quantum mechanics there will at least be one universe in which your collector’s item will immediately quantum teleport on top of it.

Don't those require a cryostat and an ample supply of liquefied gas? Would seem to be beyond the budget of most hobbyists.
20-qubit-quantum-computer-3.jpg

Yes, the cost of coolant and electricity would not likely be feasible for most hobbyists,
but along the lines of PDP 11/70 or 11/45 front-panels that hang on den walls, they'd make great conversation pieces.

I'm guessing most early QC's get canabalized for subsequent versions, but I hope any scrap metal dealer that gets one would know it'd have more value left intact than melted down.

but I hope any scrap metal dealer that gets one would know it'd have more value left intact than melted down.
Depends on what those shiny parts are made of. If that's gold, even just gold plated, its going to be worth many thousands of dollars as scrap. I know some folks have that to spend on conversation pieces, but would they buy a quantum CPU?

Back