• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

w00p i got a new car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
when exiting the curves. No oomph to it!

This happens often: people say they're disappointed in the lack of power, but almost always there are one or two problems unknown to the driver: 1., the car just wasn't maintained very well (the early-90s versions need some mechanical TLC); and 2., people drive just like their daddy taught 'em -- that is, to NEVER shift above 3,500rpm because that is bad for the drivetrain ... LOL, that was true on you daddy's 1940 Buick, but in a modern Japanese sports car the torque band STARTS at about 3,500 and goes until redline. In first through fourth gears (of six total), I bounce my car off the rev limiter at 7,000rpm all the time. Sounds like an F1 car racing out of the pits and it's got the power too.

So what's with that gerbil under your hood?

What, you mean that wheezing noise? It's the turbocharger. I can easily smoke a standard-issue C4 (or older) Corvette, Mustang 5.0, WRX, Evo, Boxster, S2000, Z4, SRT-4, and plenty of others. Honestly, it doesn't become a fair fight until the competition is a C5, Cobra, STi, Boxster S, 911, or M-series BMW.

People forget that HP does not matter -- it's the HP-to-weigh ratio. I have approx. 215 hp ** at the wheels ** and hardly 2500 lbs. What's the h-to-w of that Mustang 5.0 or the Stingray? My guess is, "it sucks".

First off, I don't think your miata can take an Evo - that's near 300hp stock, AWD, humongous brakes, uprated suspension, so on and so forth.

Secondly, you're comparing apples-to-oranges. you're talking about your modified car, vs a stock car. dump that same $3g's (because a MSM is only 178hp at the crank, either it's a modified mazdaspeed, or you have a flyin' miata kit or something similar) into, say, an Evo, WRX, or an SRT-4, and the chick-wagon stays behind every time.

Been there, done that - I purchased a flying Miata turbo at least 6-8 years ago, drove it. Also had a vortech-supercharged mustang, and there is *NO* way, if you do it fair and supercharge a mustang with equivalent $, that you can even remotely compare.

You need to step back and do an apples-to-apples comparison, and at least try to stay in class. A corvette or mustang is a GS category car, not a Miata category car. If you want to go there,

Oh, and let's not forget, it's not just the HP - it's the torque. In AutoX, on those smallish tracks, torque is what's important, not HP. You can have a 500HP car, but if your torque is low, your out of luck. And I haven;t seen any AutoX runnings, where HP was the issue. #1 is handling, #2 is torque.

Give me this:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/ford/mustang/100744693/specs.html

and $2500, and you're toast.

To be a little more fair, gimme this:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/volkswagen/gti/100003548/specs.html

and $3-4K, and you're still toast.

T

First off, I don't think your miata can take an Evo - that's near 300hp stock, AWD, humongous brakes, uprated suspension, so on and so forth.

Secondly, you're comparing apples-to-oranges.

I never said it's a FAIR comparison. If it were fair, those other cars would have to be able to STEER, not just go fast in a straight line. Oh and they'd all have to be convertibles. :D

Yes, my car is modified. Stock at the crank is 178, like you said. In reality stock is 155 at the wheels. Mine has low 200s at the wheels. I also cranked up the boost from 7.5 to 10.5 pounds, put in larger fuel injectors, added an unrestrictive intake, replaced the leaky BOV with a better one, and installed a turboback which was 10% custom-built to my specs (separated gases downpipe, 3" wide into a high-flow cat, non-resonated midpipe, MagnaFlow exhaust) from stainless steel. Next, I'll upgrade to a larger intercooler, put in even bigger injectors, and - when I save more cash - go with an aftermarket replacement (not piggyback) ECU. With that I can turn up the boost to 12 or 14 psi = 250 rear-wheel hp, no problem. That's almost a 10:1 ratio of power-to-weight. By the time a stock Evo driver gets into boost, I'll be in second gear already thanks to nearly instant spool-up and a very short-throw shifter.

And of course, a red MSM is a truly gorgeous vehicle. An Evo looks like Tonka got into the ricer business... I'm just sayin'!

Heh, think you could out run a 5.0 V8 Koenigsegg CCXR?

That's not why you buy a Miata. Going fast in a straight line is just a nice extra feature sometimes. I'd rather have twisties any day.

According to a review in The New York Times, the Bugatti Veyron makes 1,001 hp, does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, and costs $2 million. Added the reviewer: "The steering is so precise that the Veyron feels almost as nimble as a Miata." :biggrin:

I'd push it more into the lipstick-and-Avon category.
And I can say that, because I owned one.

Yes it was fun. Yes I had a flyin' miata turbo. No, it wasn't fast enough.
Just didn;t sound right - sounded like an elephant on crack farting. Like your typical boy-racer ricers you see nowadays.

No...I went back to a good old V8..back then. Got a 1992 mustang (in 1997) did it up all nice - 351W block, vortech SC, coilovers, jericho 5sp, IRS for the rear....ain't nothing like 450-500 stomping V8 HP to put a smile on your face when you mash the pedal.

NOTHING can replace pure, unadulterated HP, in a machine that also has enough torque to rip pavement.

Probably why I love my Tundra so much - if it weren't for the gas prices, I'd be happy as a clam!

T

sounded like an elephant on crack farting. Like your typical boy-racer ricers you see nowadays.

I don't know what kind of exhaust you had -- was it JUST an exhaust or a real turboback? Although I have heard that the FM exhausts sound drone-y. Mine is a very different beast. Frankly, mine sounds like a rumbling V8, with no drone whatsoever.

did it up all nice - 351W block, vortech SC, coilovers, jericho 5sp, IRS for the rear....ain't nothing like 450-500 stomping V8 HP to put a smile on your face when you mash the pedal.

HAHAHA! You "did it up all nice" with horsepower huh ... well if my turbo setup makes me a ricer (which couldn't be farther from the truth; my car has NO ricer elements), then your approach is typical small-minded country hick.

NOTHING can replace pure, unadulterated HP,

Rubbish. Going fast and confident through TURNS is where it's at.

Probably why I love my Tundra

Again: HAHAHAHA! Anyone who loves a pick-up truck clearly does not deserve as fine a TRUE sports car (two seats, not a sports COUPE like your Mustang) as a turbo Miata. I am glad to hear that you sold it. Hopefully the new owner appreciates it. (Seriously: your car must've had some really pathetic tuning if an FM turbo wasn't fast enough. If you can't go fast in a 2,500-pound car with 200 horsepower, then you have no business messing with 400 in a bloated leaf-spring-mobile with vastly inferior handling.)

I will be happy to race against your Mustang in a 1/4 mile. Just put an S-turn at the 1/8 mark. I hope that your car has a good roll cage!!

Game Over

Game Over

Ok, enough is enough. First this has gone WAY off the original topic. Second, Evan I am glad you are proud of your car, you have every right to be, we get it already.

We're all mature people here, lets act like it.

Eh, I think the thread was about Mike's new car. However, it has kind of drifted off topic. Can an off topic thread drift off topic?

I'm more shocked that Mike didn't post about the Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 for DOS that showed up this week, complete with sealed 5.25" diskettes. I'm hoping to get him off that 'chick' programming language (BASIC) and get him to some hardcore, manly, high horsepower C programming.

For DOS of course ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back