• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

want to see if these are worthe anything

You're probably right. But at least he'll know for sure. It's something else to add to the sales blurb. Retro is in you know.

I'm a little confused. It really seems to me that this guy has joined this board for the sole purpose of getting the most of some old equipment he found. That just seems to go against what I thought this forum was about, which is really to help others out as collectors. He doesn't seem to have any interest in collecting vintage equipment, just pawning stuff off for the most he can get out of it.

I mean, it's great and all that people are willing to help someone out like this, but he's pretty much just using people here. :/

Just my $.02

Not everyone is a collector of old computers, but having them come here with the items is much better than the items getting trashed. You shouldn't put someone down, just because they are looking to get top-dollar for their items.

Not everyone is a collector of old computers, but having them come here with the items is much better than the items getting trashed. You shouldn't put someone down, just because they are looking to get top-dollar for their items.

I'm with you about preventing stuff from being trashed, but I think Beau Walker was thinking about Jared not appearing to be particularly interested in vintage computing and joining our community. That's fair enough, but I think Jarred has actually learnt quite a lot by coming here. This introduction to a new way of thinking, and a more detailed look at operating systems, is a useful addition to what knowledge he already has about computers. Who knows where that will lead, and besides, it is just a good thing if we can be helpful to people for any reason. Note too, that there is information in this thread that someone else might find through searching the net.

Helping out others can gets the brain cells going.

Anyone know how bypass the TAMS login and get directly into Interactive Unix?

Found a blog with a Boches imige for those that want a play http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=197

If he could boot to single-user mode, it should let him access Interactive Unix... Then I'd start looking under /etc/rc3.d for a TAMS startup script.
If there is one, disable it by renaming it to a lower-case "s"... then reboot into full multi-user goodness without TAMS.

Unfortunately, it looks like Interactive doesn't make it that easy to access single-user mode:

http://www.megalextoria.com/usenet-archive/news137f1/b210/comp/unix/sysv386/00006367.html
http://www.megalextoria.com/usenet-archive/news137f1/b210/comp/unix/sysv386/00006418.html

Unless he can get to a shell from the TAMS software, he might need to boot from the Interactive install media.

Thanks for the link btw... I had to tweak a few things in the bochsrc file though:

#vga: extension=cirrus
vga: extension=vbe

#text_snapshot_check: enabled=0
#ne2k: enabled=0
#pnic: enabled=0
#sb16: enabled=0
#pass: action=fatal

Unless he can get to a shell from the TAMS software, he might need to boot from the Interactive install media.

I haven't tried Interactive Unix, but doesn't it run several terminals like more recent *nixes? My guess is that there is some key combination similar to the ubiquitous Ctrl-F* which would put you in another virtual console where X isn't running. I suggested (in some PM communications) that the OP try that, and it apparently didn't work. However, Interactive could use some other combination. Perhaps Ctrl-Alt-F*. Also, it may not be enabled, but Ctrl-Alt-Backspace can sometimes just kill X. That would do it. ;)

I don't like guessing and would prefer to RTFM if it was available. It saves a lot of grief.

That blog mentions ctrl + / to access the command shell using the installation media to bypass installing it with an activation code.

The TAMS software may well be character based as opposed to X based anyway.

Seems Looking glass was the default wm for Interactive Unix at least earlier on Interactive-unix-w-looking-glass.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like guessing and would prefer to RTFM if it was available. It saves a lot of grief.

Probably a good idea. Especially if there is no installation media.

That blog mentions ctrl + / to access the command shell using the installation media to bypass installing it with an activation code.

I'm guessing that there is no installation media for TAMS, but that a disk with Interactive UNIX could be found if needed. Do you know if Jared has any disks?

The TAMS software may well be character based as opposed to X based anyway.

Very good point!

Seems Looking glass was the default wm for it at least earlier on View attachment 10912

That looks like it is X based though. I know it's java, but can you run that without X? My net search didn't hit pay dirt yet, and Wikipedia isn't very helpful.

I've asked the question about the availibilty of media a few posts back but no reply as of yet. He seems to be finding more stuff as time goes on so here's hoping there's something stashed in a box somewhere.

Jeff Barr will be able to tell you all you need to know about the origins of Looking Glass as he created it initially and later ported it to Linux.

Last edited:
ok i'm trying to figure out what you want me to do and first i was told i need to get into dos and figure out the version. But i don't know how to get into dos commands. I also don't know where to type commands and don't understand abreviations so don't tell me what to do in abreviations.

As mentioned earlier Jared press the F5 key straight after you've selected boot option 1 and hold it down-ie when it shows the starting MS-Dos message. This'll by bypass the diagnostics program and should bring you to the dos prompt. Then type ver then press the enter key as Ole has suggested.

ver stands for version it is a dos command. You type this at the dos command prompt that looks something like C:\>

I hope that makes sense. If not do you have a geek in the family that can help out?

Last edited:
. . . don't tell me what to do in abreviations.
I'm not sure what "abbreviations" were used. Perhaps you mean the commands mentioned, but they are not abbreviated. However there was the use of "OP" which means "original poster" (which is you) and I also used the word "X" which is not really short for anything - it is the common name for the "X windowing system". That is what most UNIX like systems (also Linux) uses as a code basis for running the various graphical interfaces and desktop systems that computers use. If you "kill" X, you will be plunked right on to the command line - which is where one can do all kinds of wonderful things if one knows a few commands (or can Google them). :)

Now type dir/w/p Then press enter. This will list files and directories(folder) on the dos partition.

Cool ah?

Last edited:
have pictures of what that said. the cd i have with it is the napa computer catalog update from march 2007. It was the last cd they used i think with the old system. i added a better picture.

Attachments

• cmputer 3 002.jpg
    cmputer 3 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
  • cmputer 3 006.jpg
    cmputer 3 006.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
  • cmputer 3 001.jpg
    cmputer 3 001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just push the reset button on the front of the machine or press the ctrl-alt and delete keys at the same time to reboot the machine.

What some of us are trying to determine is if something similar can be done in Unix bypassing the TAMS software and accessing it's command shell/prompt.

ok yea i allready figured out the reset button i just havn't figured out how to switch to the old green monochrome crt's yet or how to shut it down properly

ok yea i allready figured out the reset button i just havn't figured out how to switch to the old green monochrome crt's yet or how to shut it down properly

When you are running DOS, it doesn't matter. You can just hit the reset button, pull the plug, whatever. If you hit the Ctrl-Alt-Del (3 finger salute) it will just reboot and start into whatever is the bootup default.

When you are running a UNIX type operating system, it's different however. You should be able to click on some kind of proper way, just like in MS-Windows operating systems.

Now I remember, (call me senile!) what we were talking about before. We wanted to get to the command line, so you could shut down properly that way, since you hadn't found the graphical way yet.

I also found out we got lots of the old crt's and keyboards if some want them. The keyboards i'll let go for $40 + shipping and some of the crts are bad some are good i'll take offers on them.

Back