• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

want to see if these are worthe anything

Well, "halt" is pretty commonly accepted now adays and from what I know it does flush the cache (a very old difference between a shutdown vs halt but I've never had any problems in the last 15 years or so doing a halt if it's supported).

Do you have a regular monitor you can connect to the system? A lot of operating systems will know that they weren't previously shut down properly and start a fsck (File System ChecK) which you might not see via terminal unless the OS is configured to redirect the console output to the serial port. Most likely your terminal is relying on the TAMS program running and listening on the serial port. If the computer has a video card (likely has a vga/svga card in it since we've established it's just a standard Intel based machine) you should be able to connect any 15-pin vga monitor to it and probably see the output while it boots.

I checked just now it has no video card listed. But one terminal looks like a 15 pin slot. The older versions of this computer did not have that extra monitor slot. And i do not have a old vga monitor. I just have new monitors.

Have a look for a monitor symbol on the back of the Pentium where the other connectors are. Looks like two square boxes, one inside the other. You more than likely find it's an integral part of the mobo. Failing that just take the case of and slap a cheap pci one in. The system is old enough that there may be a couple of ISA slots on the system as well.

If you do take the case look for FCC ID markings. This will help identify the motherboard.

Some flat screen TVs have vga input. I use one on my 486 class machines. You just need a suitable cable. Early LCDs monitors are VGA and should be easy enough to get hold of. You might even just be able to borrow one just for testing purposes.

Last edited:
there is 1 square box for a monitor with a smaller box in it so your right. And there is no pentium simbol on this computer i got that from startup, I showed pictures of the back of it completly now. The bottom left plugin is for color monitor skip a slot and 2 slots up for that are for monochrome. Oh as far as getting the case off i can't figure out how to take it off. And i'm quite sure they did make it so you could hook a normal monitor to this model.

Attachments

• computer 001.jpg
    computer 001.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1
  • computer 002.jpg
    computer 002.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Look more like com ports to me. Pics aren't that great but are helpfull non the less. Going down two ps/2 ports one mouse-one keyboard, 2 com (serial) ports, parallel port and then VGA. Bog standard pentium setup.

Look look a scsi connector in the lower expantion bay and LPT2 on the top one.

Last edited:
here is a picture of the monochrome monitor plugin. and one of the tape drive system they used before cd's came out in this.

Attachments

• computer 004.jpg
    computer 004.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1
  • computer 005.jpg
    computer 005.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
ok adding pictures of what i see on startup for you

Attachments

• computer 008.jpg
    computer 008.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1
  • computer 006.jpg
    computer 006.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1
  • computer 007.jpg
    computer 007.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1
That's a start. Can you retake that last pic? Can't make out what it's doing after that. I'm guessing of course you selected 2 to boot into Interactive Unix. After that I'm interested in what it says.

ok i'm not sure if they turned out good enough to read and i probably have the order of the pictures wrong.

Attachments

• dash panel 001.jpg
    dash panel 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dash panel 004.jpg
    dash panel 004.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1
  • dash panel 006.jpg
    dash panel 006.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1
  • dash panel 010.jpg
    dash panel 010.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dash panel 012.jpg
    dash panel 012.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
From the last pic what does it do from there. It looks like it did go ahead and run a file system check to make sure the contents were ok (whether it worked who knows but it did run that fsck command when it booted which is good). From there it should continue to load and probably leave you at a prompt unless it automatically runs the TAMS software on the console as well.

lol well cool. It just needed that extra time to finish the fsck. Glad to see it's still running.

no it didn't take extra time i might have left a photo out. some of the photo's turned out really blury. And i found out for sure it can use a regular monitor on that one port.

Attachments

• computer 017.jpg
    computer 017.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1
  • computer2 003.jpg
    computer2 003.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Good to see it's running. Could do with a bit of a spring clean by the looks.

Unfortunately it's not worth much at all, even with Interactive Unix and the NAPA software. There's manuals in pdf format available if you want to know a bit more about Interactive Unix. Got any of the installation media at all?

What happens when you select the Dos option? It'd be interesting to see what version of Dos and other software is installed as well.

Last edited:
the dos is v1.24 and it says like 1996 on the dos version because they did update cd's on this computer. If i find one of the computers that was made in 1984 that works and hasn't been updated as much as this one is that still not worthe much?

Attachments

• computer2 001.jpg
    computer2 001.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1
  • computer2 004.jpg
    computer2 004.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
the dos is v1.24 and it says like 1996 on the dos version because they did update cd's on this computer. If i find one of the computers that was made in 1984 that works and hasn't been updated as much as this one is that still not worthe much?

It just says "starting DOS" but everything after that is messages from programs. To find the version, you type this at the command line:
Code:
ver

Any computer made in 1984 is interesting, but "worth much" is a matter of perspective. You're still likely talking about three figures or less. Sometimes much less. :) A wild guess would be $20 to $200.

I'm a little confused. It really seems to me that this guy has joined this board for the sole purpose of getting the most of some old equipment he found. That just seems to go against what I thought this forum was about, which is really to help others out as collectors. He doesn't seem to have any interest in collecting vintage equipment, just pawning stuff off for the most he can get out of it.

I mean, it's great and all that people are willing to help someone out like this, but he's pretty much just using people here. :/

Just my $.02

I'm just curious as to what other junk he's got. It's already been mentioned a number of times 15k is way over the top for the ebay auction. Of course he can put the dust in bags market that as Ye Olde Napa Dust.

Jared to get to the dos prompt press the F5 key straight after you've selected boot option 1 and hold it down-ie when it shows the starting MS-Dos message. This'l by bypass the diagnostics program and should bring you to the dos prompt. Then type ver then press the enter key as Ole has suggested.

Last edited:
He could but really, it's not that interesting to know what version beyond MS-DOS on a Pentium system it is. It's gonna probably just be 6.22.

Back