• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

want to see if these are worthe anything

Here is page 71 of the manual.

Shutting Down and Rebooting the System

Code:
INTERACTIVE UNIX System Installation - Version 2.2                                  71
5. SHUTTING DOWN AND REBOOTING THE SYSTEM
5.1 Shutting Down the System
The INTERACTIVE UNIX Operating System is a multi-tasking sys*
tem. A multi-tasking system can run many different processes (pro*
grams) at the same time. For example, you may be editing a file at
the same time that another file is being printed on your printer.
When you are ready to turn off your computer, you must arrange to
have the system complete all of the tasks that are currently running.
This is accomplished with a system maintenance procedure called
 s hut d own. The s hutdown program gracefully terminates the
tasks that are currently executing before halting the system. You
can safely turn off the computer when s hu t down has finished. If
you do not run the s hutdown program, you may lose data and
cause damage to your file system.
The s hut down program can be initiated in one of two ways:
   1. Use the powe r down administrative login.
   2. Execute the s hu t down command.
5.2 Using the p ow e r d own Administrative Login
 When you are ready to turn your machine off, you may bring the
system down with the pow e r down administrative login.
   1. Log out of your ordinary user account.
   2. Log in to the system with the powe r down user ID .
      .- Note that you must know the p ow e r down password if
            one has been set.
   3. Once you have successfully logged in to the system using the
      powe r down login, the system automatically executes the
      s hutdown program. The system displays a screen similar to
      this:
          l og i n :   power down
          P a s sword :
          UN I X S y s t e m V/ 3 8 6 Re l e a s e 3 . 2
          Copyr i ght ( c ) 1 9 8 4 , 1 9 8 6 , 1 9 8 7 , 1 9 8 8 AT&T
          Copyr i ght ( c ) 1 9 8 7 , 1 9 8 8 M i c ro s o f t Corporat i on
          A l l r i gh t s r e s erved
          On c e s t a r t e d , a powerdown C ANNOT BE S TOPPED .
          Do you want to s t a r t an expre s s powerdown [ y , n ,          ? , q]
   4. If you are ready to bring the system down, type y. The sys*
      tem responds:
72                                        INTERACTIVE UNIX System Installation - Version 2.2
                Shutdown s t a r t e d         Wed Jun    3 1 7 : 3 1 : 4 4 PDT 1 9 8 7
                Broad c a s t m e s s a g e f r om root ( co n s o l e ) o n p l a t o
                Wed Jun         3 1 7 : 3 1 : 44 PDT 1 98 7
                T H I S SYS TEM I S B E I NG SHUT DOWN NOW I I I
                Log o f f now or r i sk your f i l e s be i ng damaged .
                I N I T : New run l ev e l 0
                The s y s t e m i s c o m i ng down , p l e a s e wa i t .
                S y s t e m s e rv i c e s a r e now be i ng s topped .
                Stopp i ng proc e s s a c c ount i ng .
                The s y s t e m i s down
                P r e s s any key t o r e - boot .
  5.     When the P r e s s a n y k e y t o r e - b oot message appears,
         the computer may be turned off.
5.3 Using the s hu t d own Command
To execute the s hu t d own command manually, you must log in to
the system using the r o o t login. When you are logged in as
r o o t , you will see the # prompt :
     l og i n :     root
     P a s sword :
     #
If you are logged in to the system as r o o t and want to execute the
s hu t d own command manually, follow these instructions:
  1.     Make the r o o t directory your current directory by executing                      (
         this command at the # prompt:
                             # cd /
  2.     Run the s hu t d own program with this command:
                             # s hutdown
         The system will automatically generate a message on every
         terminal currently in use to warn users that the system is
         being shut down. The message will look something like this:
                TH I S S Y S T EM IS B E I NG S HUTDOWN I l l
                Log o f f now o r r i s k your f i l e s be i ng damag e d .
         The system will wait 1 minute to give users a chance to exit
         editors and save files before the system goes down.
  3.     Your screen will then look similar to this:
                Do you want to c on t i nue ( y or n )
         Type y . Shutdown will then proceed. (If you do not want to
         be prompted at this point while shutting down the system,
INTERACTIVE UNIX System Installation - Version 2. 2                  73
      you can use the - y option when typing the s hu t d own
      command. )
  4.  If you wish to give users a different warning period before the
      system comes down, run the s hu t d own program using the
      - g option:
                  # shutdown  - g time
      In actual use, time is replaced by the number of seconds you
      wish to have elapse before the system is halted. It is a good
      idea to allow at least 2 minutes ( 1 20 seconds) to elapse before
      the system is brought down. For example:
                  # s hutdown -g 1 2 0
      The system automatically runs s hu t d own. A screen similar
      to the one generated by the pow e r d own procedure will
      display.
  5. When the P r e s s any k e y to r e - bo o t message appears,
     the computer may be turned off.

Step in the right direction Ole. I think Jerad is running V 4.1
Now to get around the TAMS stuff. Strange that doesn't have a shutdown option though.

Step in the right direction Ole. I think Jerad is running V 4.1
Now to get around the TAMS stuff. Strange that doesn't have a shutdown option though.

I know I have the wrong version, but that probably doesn't matter on the command line - if we can find one. I guess the Looking Glass desktop manager isn't the basis for the TAMS program is it? It's referred to as an optional dependency and uses X11.

I would guess the TAMS program has a shutdown option, but perhaps there is a way to exit it and get to a lower and more direct level where the instructions I listed above can be accessed. My kingdom for a TAMS manual!

don't worry about the shutdown option thats only a minor problem.

I don't understand how that could be "minor". :) It seems pretty important to me - unless there are bigger problems. lol

Anyway, suit yourself. :) But it will cause problems in the future if you, or somebody, plans to run the machine with this setup. Perhaps you'll find a manual, which would be a valuable addition. Somebody who has administered a system such as this, might also remember.

What's the major problem?

The pentium works connected to a crt and you have at least one terminal that can be connected up to it via a serial port.

never said there was a major problem lol. the system works as it should i tryed typing root for login like ole sayed but i don't know the password.

never said there was a major problem lol. the system works as it should i tryed typing root for login like ole sayed but i don't know the password.

The thing is, somebody who would want to buy this system doesn't just want it working "as it should", by which you mean "as the Napa folks intended". A buyer who is a collector will want to get inside the software, and many will want to know more about the software before they would buy.

There are several kinds of System Rescue software, based in various flavours of Linux, that you can download freely and legally from the internet. You burn them to a CD (make sure you burn as a bootable ISO or disk image), then boot the system from the CD. This bypasses any password protection and you can get root access to all the files on the computer. Then there are many techniques to find and reset passwords. Buyers of old computers often have to use this kind of software tool when passwords are lost.

It depends how much you are willing to learn. The more you can tell about your system, the more likely you will find a keen buyer. Otherwise the buyer is taking more of a risk, so will pay less.

Some people make a game of guessing passwords. For your system, I would be trying passwords that use different combinations of "TAMS", "NAPA", "admin", and the name of your locality or business (but it can just be frustrating).

Rick

thanks rick i'm going to try that now. It had one number password written on the computer but that did not work with root. And i tryed tams that also did not work. I'm sure someone else who used this computer knows the password.

thanks rick i'm going to try that now. It had one number password written on the computer but that did not work with root. And i tryed tams that also did not work. I'm sure someone else who used this computer knows the password.

I'm not sure how relevant this is to the TAMS system, but the older Interactive UNIX manual (like I posted earlier) says:

1. Log out of your ordinary user account.
2. Log into the system with powerdown user ID.

You will need to know the password if one has been set, but it is possible that one hasn't. In any case, unless the system has been altered by TAMS or somebody, you will apparently need to use the designated user ID.

i figured out bye takes you back to account log in but powerdown does nothing at that login. And i can't find a password combination to work with root. also when i login no letters show up so i'm not sure if login can be that long.

i figured out bye takes you back to account log in but powerdown does nothing at that login. And i can't find a password combination to work with root. also when i login no letters show up so i'm not sure if login can be that long.

Is there an account named root? What options do you have at the account log in? Is it on the command line, or is it a menu?

ok before i log in to the computer i have account id option to type in. For normal log in to napa i type in sales and that brings me to the napa computer system. no password is needed for this. inside the napa system there is a menu. And it tells me some things i can type there. i tryed root inside the napa program and that does nothing.

Good news i just found out how to get into tams system management which has option to change passwords. and a lot of other options.

ok before i log in to the computer i have account id option to type in.
That sounds like where you type account ID options, and is where you should be logging into whatever account you are looking for. Try typing powerdown at this point.

Also, there probably isn't an account with the name "root". Typing that is not likely to do anything even if there is. I would guess that you type "su" (stands for super user) and it will ask for the root password. Perhaps this system is different, but it's worth a try.

For normal log in to napa i type in sales and that brings me to the napa computer system. no password is needed for this. inside the napa system there is a menu. And it tells me some things i can type there. i tryed root inside the napa program and that does nothing.

That is a program. You likely won't be able to do much there, except what the program is made for. :)

i can shutdown the sytem from this menu, change passwords, and maintain tams system also update everything

When someone was helping with the shutdown command syntax and figuring out how to gracefully shut down the system (although excellent that you've found this via the TAMS application) the purpose is because shutting down a more advanced operating system without letting it close files and write and pending disk operations first can cause hard drive/file system corruption. Sorta starts leading to possible problems later on if you do it enough.

Now that you found that though, it will be beneficial to shutdown from that menu whenever you do to keep the system in good shape hopefully while you tinker around. From what I had read about the NAPA TAMS document they did set up a password for each store but only the management of the store probably knew what it was. Perhaps your father knows although it may not be necessary depending on the user accounts you can administer from TAMS. I do think though that those are probably TAMS specific users and not the OS users but that's just a hunch.

i tryed many passwords and none of them work with root. also the password in the sytem is all tams, so same password for everything, and no one remembers the password for user login

Back