• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are the biggest operational vintage computers?

I have a Pyramid Technology 98xe circa 1985, single RISC CPU, "dual-port UNIX" Mini - in my barn. T'was running when I stored it, and now my oldest son is determined to get it running again. I know this doesn't qualify, I am just proud of my Pyramid and being cheeky. :)

The Harwell and others like EDSAC and Colossus and more recent vintage systems are often up and running at the National Museum of Computing, which is at Bletchley Park - but a separate museum in itself - see https://www.tnmoc.org/ and the link in my sig...

CSIRAC, the first stored memory digital electronic computer in Australia and the fourth in the world (1949-1964), is 100% complete and intact, including software and documentation.
It had a loudspeaker built into the console connected to memory address 10 that indicated its operating performance, and was used to play the first computer generated music in 1950.
It's not operational as the museum stated the cost of running and repairs are prohibitive, but it seems it could be made so.
https://cis.unimelb.edu.au/__data/a...775482/the-last-of-the-first-csirac-ebook.pdf

One problem is that these old dinosaurs require prodigious cooling and power. LCM had a CDC 6500--I can only imagine the operating costs (chilled water and MG set included).

There might of been an attempt to get a Cray II running but last I heard the LCM back in 2019 had been discussing a very large restoration of a single Cray I. Their biggest issue was the remaining machines all had boards missing and several memorabilia stores that had a known inventory were playing hardball and would not sell bulk unless they were paid extremely well. That whole plan went up in smoke when COVID closed them down.
ISTR they (or the CHM) had also tried to purchase a decommissioned CM-5 from Oregon State University but lost out on the bidding (which I still find hard to believe with Paul's Old-Man Money) and it was scrapped.

Last edited:
There might of been an attempt to get a Cray II running but last I heard the LCM back in 2019 had been discussing a very large restoration of a single Cray I. Their biggest issue was the remaining machines all had boards missing and several memorabilia stores that had a known inventory were playing hardball and would not sell bulk unless they were paid extremely well. That whole plan went up in smoke when COVID closed them down.
ISTR they (or the CHM) had also tried to purchase a decommissioned CM-5 from Oregon State University but lost out on the bidding (which I still find hard to believe with Paul's Old-Man Money) and it was scrapped.
Do you mean Oregon State University would rather junk the thing than take a Bonafide offer?

There was pictures. I saw them but the links are all broken now. It was unceremoniously dismantled and loaded into the back of flat-decks and driven away. There's someone who has the LED panel from one cabinet on their wall but that's it. https://www.housedillon.com/posts/resurrected-led-panels/

LCM also had a pair of CM-2's and a DataVault, but that was on loan. Those at least still exist and are no longer at the LCM.

Last edited:
Not in a museum but i could bring my Big Alphaserver 8400 / GS140 systems with their enterprise storage systems to my computer club for exhibition use if wanted.
Those are at least from the mid to end 1990ties...

Back