• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you do with your Apple 2?

ahm

Staff member
This past weekend, I demoed my Apple //e at a computer festival.
I had a lot of fun getting ready, making floppies from images (yay ADTPro),
and playing a few games I used to play... DROL, Sneakers, Hard Hat Mack.

I also made some Beagle Bros disks.
I remember their stuff from back in the day, but I'd apparently missed some gems.
Currently, I'm hooked on TEXT TRAIN, off their Beagle Bag disk.

So in a spirit similar to "PET Alive!"...

Well. Its tucked in the attic, in a flight case, and waiting for someone to collect it.

I've been trying to figure out what uses I can make of my Apple II+ and IIc, but I still haven't found anything that can't be done better on my Amigas, Kaypros, Ataris, etc..

I think I'd have much more fun with the Apple II+ if I could get an SD reader for it. Somebody made a card once, but only a very small batch of them - not for general sale.

This past weekend, I demoed my Apple //e at a computer festival.
I had a lot of fun getting ready, making floppies from images (yay ADTPro),
and playing a few games I used to play... DROL, Sneakers, Hard Hat Mack.

I also made some Beagle Bros disks.
I remember their stuff from back in the day, but I'd apparently missed some gems.
Currently, I'm hooked on TEXT TRAIN, off their Beagle Bag disk.

So in a spirit similar to "PET Alive!"...

I've got a GS set up at home and a //c at work that I play various games on. Thinking about using the GS to do a newsletter with using Publish It! v4, since I prefer that to the the GS desktop publishing programs. Also plan on learning to write programs for them just to see what I can do, just for fun.

On the whole though I just have fun running some of the old software that I remember using back in the 80's when a friend introduced me to the Apple II+. Of course I later upgraded to a //e, then added a //c, and eventually got a GS. Later on sold the //e and //c, then tossed the GS when I fried the motherboard. Thought I'd never use it again since I had a Mac. Eventually discovered emulators and reignited the love for the // so got back into the real hardware via eBay.

Dean

I don't do much with my Apple II+ Apple IIes. But then again, I don't do much with any of my vintage computers apart from fix them, restore them or look at them to admire the form and function.

My long term aim is to show them off as the slices of history they represent. As this sometimes (well, often) means I have to fix them as well, they tend to keep me busy "tinkering under the hood" so the speak.

Tez

I don't do much with my Apple II+ Apple IIes. But then again, I don't do much with any of my vintage computers apart from fix them, restore them or look at them to admire the form and function.

My long term aim is to show them off as the slices of history they represent. As this sometimes (well, often) means I have to fix them as well, they tend to keep me busy "tinkering under the hood" so the speak.

I try hard to find actual uses for the computers, but most times it's hard to find anything other than typing text and playing games. (except my Amiga 500, which I used for everything up until 2009)

I can certainly understand wanting to look at them to admire form and function. I'm sitting here, surrounded by 20 different 80's computers and they are quite comforting to look at. (...but maybe that's the toxic fumes I'm breathing ;))

Check out my "closet of delights". It's like the 80's never ended. :)

my IIe does CP/M stuff when I'm not using the Osborne.
I also got some photogate software and hardwre for mine but I never got a use for it.

I use my II+ as a test-jig for testing drives and cards.

It's on the block, and if it sells, then I'll have to make due with the bare board I have, a power supply and a spare keyboard.

To a great extent that is my relationship to my collection. My biggest kick has always been to get the many platforms working or upgrading with peripherals. That is the inspiring challenge. Except for a few favorites I don't use them. Now and then I toy with the idea of a local museum, but in a small community in the middle of nowhere it's ludicrous. So it's a bit like having a stamp collection which you admire and now and then get a chance to admire or upgrade. I keep pressing myself to sell off the computers I'm less enamored with, not to mention the parts, but so far I've only been accumulating more, usually in the form of accessories and upgrades. My bad dreams are that if I bite the bullet the majority will serve as landfill since out here interest in vintage computers is -0. Oh well at least I wouldn't be around to witness that final ignomity.

There was a French or Belgian collector who was big on Tandy model IIs who had his computer collection scattered about his large house and his site did a tour of the house and showed the environment they lived in. Very Cool.

Lawrence

Tez

There was a French or Belgian collector who was big on Tandy model IIs who had his computer collection scattered about his large house and his site did a tour of the house and showed the environment they lived in. Very Cool.

Yes, now there's an idea. I have suggested to my wife Annette, that I setup up my best looking models in strategic location throughout the house as conversation pieces.

Err...I think you can imagine the response. :)

Tez

I use my IIgs nearly every day. I have it hooked up to a Lantronix MSS-VIA and connect to the internets with Proterm. I have one of those compact flash drives from reactive micro, and it's great because I can boot to Proterm in Prodos 8 in less than 3 seconds. Then i can get on, check my email, do IRC, and since I'm an SDF member, hop on the COM chat program. I can vist telnet BBSes. I can also play games, of course. There are quite alot of great IIgs games, including Arkanoid 2, Wolfenstein 3d (which is painfully slow on mine though) and of course, Crystal Quest. I make music with my Apple IIgs using Noisetracker GS 2.0 and sometimes other software as well. I have done papers and stuff on my IIgs as well as pixel art with the ever-classic Deluxe Paint. Next up I'm going to learn some more advanced programming languages for the IIgs and maybe write a game along the lines of Tiny Crawl.

BTW, try Tiny Crawl here: http://vacuumflowers.com/temp/tiny_crawl_assemblee
That game would freakin' rock on the IIgs.

I use my II+ and IIe for testing IC chips. :D

Now if I could find an old 4K model II+ motherboard, I could use it to test some fast PROM/EPROM replacements for the 2513 character generator.

Back