• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What ELSE do you collect?

linuxlove

Veteran Member
Besides computers, what else do you collect? Books? Legos? Dust? :)
For me, i collect the lego minifigures and stuffed animals.

Besides computers, what else do you collect? Books? Legos? Dust? :)
For me, i collect the lego minifigures and stuffed animals.

Well, I don't got any particular other collections, but I used to collect stamps and all sorts of coins some time ago. Recently, I did use some weeks getting all the Beethoven symphonies on LP (they all had to be from the same recorder and series), and I have shown quite some interest in good comics.

Pocketknives is the only thing I actually collect - I'm more of a User or Tinkerer with regards to vintage computers. The pocketknives are mostly a loose Accumulation with two specific areas of focus, USA-Schrade Old Timers and vintage Bruckmann knives from Germany. :cool:

( Pre-WWII Bruckmann Knives: )
Bruckmannset08-07.jpg

If I were wealthy, I'd buy a warehouse and collect cars. :drive:

I collect antique hand planes and old woodworking tools as well. I have probably 20 or so. I also rebuild old cars, I have finished and sold a 1966 Mustang Convertible and just finished a 1978 Corvette resto-mod.

Kipp

Guitars........

l_b69068dab18049088d26737208e798bb.jpg

Front to Back - 66' Fender Mustang, 96' Fender Jag-Stang, 98' Fender Jaguar, 07' Squier Jagmaster, 08' Fender Mustang Bass, 90's Segovia Bass, 07' Epiphone SG Bass, 87' B.c. Rich Bass, and a home-built Explorer copy (using leftover parts) poking out from in back

And that's just the main rack
Unshown
- 09' Home Built Jazzmaster Copy
- B.c. Rich Warlock
- Sears Telecaster Copy from the 70's
- Harmony 2813/H-804
- Kay KE-17
- First Act ME-431
- First Act ME-636
- Vester Concert Series Superstrat
- Kramre Focus 3000
- Dean ML-X
- Lauren Acoustic
- Epiphone AJ-18SCE Acoustic/Electric
- 07' Squier Telecaster
- Squier 7-String Stagemaster

and hopefully I'm remembering them all

A curious question. I kinda wonder if growing up a little poor added to the collecting bug as anything I *COULD* get and got from family had a lot of value to me and I guess I've been fortunate to be able to keep most things as well.

As a kid I liked collections. I had a rock collection (rocks from places we visited during family vacations), shell collection (ditto), I suppose I collected stuffed animals when I was a kid (that's where my allowance always went).

I didn't get that into card collecting like the other kids my age but have some cards from when I did somewhere I'm sure. I didn't follow sports that much so it was mostly kids trying to get a good card for a crap card if you didn't know any better. I checked recently (out of curiosity) and surprisingly it sounds like cards aren't worth anything anymore.

I have a stamp collection from trading a friend I think my fishing kit. His dad had "an awesome" stamp collection and my young friend had the second hand stamps (good but not the better of the two of course) so I have those in a box. Probably not worth anything.

I used to be that sucker that would buy the entire year of baseball cards or minicards once and a while for $9 assuming they had to be worth more than that. I also bought a few D&D type card sets although I don't know if they were for a game or just to look at. I just liked the pictures for the most part but we also used them sometimes for ideas in our D&D games later.

Think that's it. I love coins but don't "collect" them but have them from when they were given to me if they were from another country.

I'm into airliners and airliner history so I've also been collecting airliner models and books. This is only a part of my collection. I don't have space to actually display them nicely in a lighted glass case as I would like, so they're boxed for now.

planes.jpg

Model kits like the poster above. I've thinned my collection considerably over the past two years but still have enough kits to keep me busy for 10-20 years. 1/48th scale aircraft is my interest there.

I collect two things: computer equipment and firearms.

I know, politically incorrect. But I'm an avid military history buff and my interest ranges around combat firearms. I own many military surplus firearms. Some are antique that predate WWI (British Martini-Henry, Gewehr 1888 Commission Rifle), others are WWI and WWII era, others are modern post-war civilian versions of military rifles. And I do shoot them. Rifles are meant to be experienced.

Plus, they are a good investment. Been backing off acquiring since buying a sailboat (can only afford one expensive hobby) but I like the sense of history and connection that comes from wondering what that rifle saw and who entrusted their life to it.

Matt

Matt, it makes me wonder if you ever aimed at one of your computers? :shock: Perhaps an already broken, grubby looking one you were about to dump anyway?

Matt, it makes me wonder if you ever aimed at one of your computers? :shock: Perhaps an already broken, grubby looking one you were about to dump anyway?

No access to private property to do that on. Otherwise, I'd happily sacrifice a non-working, common vintage machine (thinking TS1000 here) to an experiment in high velocity, catastrophic, non-linear disassembly. I have a modified WWI-era Swedish M96 Mauser that is my pride and joy and first choice for such activities should I ever get an opportunity to do so.

CRTs apparently go up nicely too. :)

Matt

I have a small library of WW2 militay history books and used to collect stamps and coins. Off and on I built some WW2 ship and tank models. Also have a collection of chess sets of different materials. Baseball cards were another hobby in the 80's but I got rid of most of them in the 90's. 80's music is another collectable.

The one thing I doubt I'll ever end up with (price and availability never seem to bless me) but from that guns and vintage computers is with IBM and other huge companies making barrels for the government to support the war at the time. I think it'd be pretty sweet to have an IBM gun barrel/gun if I could find one.

- John

The one thing I doubt I'll ever end up with (price and availability never seem to bless me) but from that guns and vintage computers is with IBM and other huge companies making barrels for the government to support the war at the time. I think it'd be pretty sweet to have an IBM gun barrel/gun if I could find one.

- John

Look for a USGI IBM made M1 Carbine. They're out there. Not much more than the common Inland carbines. I looked at an IBM barreled carbine and missed my chance. They pop up once in a while. Underwood are the most accurate though.

Matt

I collect radios, clocks, oil lamps, TV's, and car stuff...game systems, too, but that falls under computers. Stereo equiptment (console stereos, 8-track) as well. If I had the space, I'd have a nice collection of older vehicles. But, seems I don't, I have my fun with them for awhile, sell them, and hope someday I'll own one again.

--Ryan

Last edited:
Posting for someone else, but I recently grabbed a few vintage computers from a nice gentleman in town who also collects vintage tvs. He sounded like he might be on the board also although it could just be he wanted to get me outta there ;-) lol

I *NEED* to back up my TRS-80 8" disks soon (lazy and haven't built the converter yet). I finally have a pretty complete collection of the business models and don't want to scrape up my good disks on dirty drives.

- John

Back