• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What ELSE do you collect?

I collect antique hand planes and old woodworking tools as well. I have probably 20 or so. I also rebuild old cars, I have finished and sold a 1966 Mustang Convertible and just finished a 1978 Corvette resto-mod.

Kipp

That sounds really interesting. My Dad once showed me a toolbox of various hand tools that belonged to my grandfather. I was amazed at the elegance and simplicity of design they had. Very cool stuff. Sounds like a really fun thing to collect.

As far as myself, I'll collect pretty much anything as long as it is fairly old and electrical or mechanical in some way. Mostly things like old radios, clocks, whatever. Not too much in the inventory yet, but a recently acquired Zenith Transoceanic, has been re-introducing me to the joys of analog tuning.

Also, last Christmas a friend gave me really nice oil lamp as a gift. Not vintage, a replica, but nice nonetheless. I was thinking that starting a small collection of these might be interesting. I've really enjoyed using it.

Tom

Hi
I like old radios, especially early '20s battery sets. Still, I do
have a few with power cords to plug in the wall.
Dwight

I use to collect U.S. stamps - but stopped back around '82.

picture.php

Now I just like looking through them and enjoying what I have.

picture.php

I finally got a complete set (in color) of the Scott Stamp Catalogs. Wanted those for a loooong time :)

picture.php

That's what I like about this forum. I feel like I fit in. God knows I sure don't in my neck of the woods!

Personally, I collect robots, computers (and video game systems) - of course, 3d glasses, books (over 1100 so far), movies (right at 1000) and the equipment to play them on - regular and super 8mm, Beta, VHS, SelectaVision CED, LaserDisc (my favorite of all), CD-I and DVD.

I also have a really odd obsession - I collect gift cards, like the kind you get at stores to put money on for gifts. I'm not sure of a total number, but I have three binders with 9 pocket baseball card sheets full of them. From all kind of stores, with a big portion coming from Wal-Mart. They change their design regularly.

Most stores will give them to me for free, after I explain that I collect them. Some people just can't understand that the cards have no value until they are loaded with a cash amount and insist that I put money on the card to get it. When they do that, I just put the amount that I am purchasing on the card, ring it up first. Then I pay for the card and let them ring up my purchases. After I pay for the items with the card, I tell them quite matter-of-factly that they could have saved themselves a lot of time and paper work if they would have just given me the cards to begin with. After that, most people will just give them to me if I ever get any others from those stores.

I may try to take pictures later, if anyone is interested. If anyone would like to help with this collection, I gladly accept donations! It'd be cool to have cards from other parts of the world other than Shelby, Alabama! ;)

There are some who believe that I collect tubas. There is usually close to a dozen of them in the living room and more in my shop. But I sell as many as I buy, so I don't necessarily agree with the collection aspect.

Last edited:
Keyboards, anyone?

Not a collection in the traditional sense, but rather a few very nice specific examples that I make use of on a regular basis.

I use to collect U.S. stamps - but stopped back around '82.

picture.php

Now I just like looking through them and enjoying what I have.

picture.php

I finally got a complete set (in color) of the Scott Stamp Catalogs. Wanted those for a loooong time :)

picture.php

Nice stuff. The last couple of scott catelogs I have were from 1997. I used to visit a coin/stamp shop and look around once a month for things to add to the collection. Kind of glad I purchased a bunch of gold coins back then when it was $350 an ounce.

I recall the crazy price rise and fall for coins and stamps during the 80's. I used to hit the post office and collect coil line pairs and some of the great people series, still have them. new stamps do nothing for me (except the complete sets with binder that my parents bring me back from Greece ever other year).

Ex wives.

Actually on have 2 exes, but every so often the current Mrs. McCain, will make the remark, "You know, I can be replaced!"

I usually respond with a "Yes Dear."

Ex wives.

Actually on have 2 exes, but every so often the current Mrs. McCain, will make the remark, "You know, I can be replaced!"

I usually respond with a "Yes Dear."

I'm about to get my first (got engaged a few weeks a go). I do plan to keep this collection to a minimum, just one working unit.

lmao and congrats Pontus. As simple as it is, I kinda agree on collecting shiny stuff. I guess it's worth a shot here and there to offer off-topic other collectible stuff in the marketplace or forums here maybe. I have some items that I got out of personal "never had the money before" interest and just to see it (like laserdiscs but never found an affordable laserdisc player), and a few other things that folks might be interested. Collectible books I don't really have, but I certainly have several hundred computer books on various topics that I'll probably need to try and thin out soon.

Oh, where do I start :confused:

Video and music formats. I need the machines to play them on too. Off the top of my head, I have the following:

Video:
- VHS
- Betamax
- U-Matic
- 8mm film
- Super8 film (no sound)
- 16mm film
- CED
- Laserdisc
- 8mm videotape (need player)

Audio:
- Cassette
- LP
- 8-track tape cartridge (quadraphonic and stereo)
- 4-track tape cartridge
- Playtape (have tapes, need player)
- Reel 2 Reel (Stereo, wide track mono)
- Microcassette
- Minicassette
- MiniDisc

I guess the data storage medium goes without saying, but I can't remember all the different formats I have.

The bad thing about collecting the above is that I have collections inside of collections...

- Elvis Presley 8-tracks
- Ventures 8-tracks
- "Tribute" albums on any format
- Home-recorded albums of almost any kind
- Children's albums in near-mint shape on LP

And finally, I collect coins.

Oh, goodness...I don't know where to start either!!

Radios and televisions
-All tube-type, of course...the kind that work great as heaters in the winter!

Fountain pens and Cross pens/pencils
-Nothing like writing in style! :cool:

Typewriters
-Gotta love those IBM Selectrics!!

Stereo equipment
-I'm a big fan of music, and I can't wait to get some Hi-Fi tube amps!

Vacuum cleaners (don't laugh!) :D
-My first collection...I am slowly getting rid of most of the vacuums and moving on to other things, like computers.

Accordions
-My main instrument. (I play percussion in the band at school)

Civil Defense memorabilia
-Don't have too much, but I do have a CD-V-700 that does still work and is great for determining if a rock is radioactive.

Calculators/slide rules
-I seem to have found a fair number of old calculators from various places of the years, including my dad's friend's HP-45!

Test equipment
-Tektronix 465 'scope, Simpson 260 VOM, HP freq. counter, Wavetek synthesizer/function generator, some Heathkit stuff...etc.

Cameras
-Mostly film, but I'm trying to save up for a good Canon DSLR.

I'm sure I can think of some more later...maybe I'll add to this list if more come to mind! Chances are, if it's a mechanical/electrical/electronic vintage/antique thing, I'll collect it!

Kyle

Ahh, thats one I forgot--typewriters and cameras!

Funny you should mention the foutain pens and vaccuums. I have TONS of interest for both, but don't have a collection going. It's hard for me to not buy every vintage vaccuum cleaner I come by. OTOH, I did buy an older blue Electrolux, cylindrical rolling type.

--Ryan

I find this very intriguing...you are now the 3rd person I've met who tends to collect all of the same stuff I do! Cool!! I wonder what it is with these different collections...

Kyle

I'm really not sure. I think I just love all old mechanical/electrical antique things. I've always enjoyed messing around with those kind of things.

I've restored my fair share of vacuums, which is always a rewarding process. Those Kirbys look excellent once they are polished again! Cast aluminum has a tendency to oxidize and look bad after a little while.

Anyways, my parents say they take up too much space, so I have had to get rid of quite a few. I had at most around 30, but I think I'm down to 20 or so now. I'll just keep the ones that are most valuable/desired if I absolutely have to.

Plus, I've made some bucks off of a few of them! Maybe if I sell a few more I can get me that Apple I on eBay! :grin:

Kyle

Aside from Computers/Game Consoles, I collect Star Trek memorabilia, a small collection of Transformer Action Figures , Naval Ship Models ( the pride of my fleet being my USS Arizona) and though I only have two so far, Military Firearms ( A 1943 US Postal Meter M1 Carbine and a 1906 Tula Finnish captured Mosin Nagant)

Some will say I collect cell phones but its more or less the old ones I have used and they might have a game I like on them so I keep them around. ( like my TDMA networked Motorola v60 with a nice Blackjack game on it).

Back