• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's the rarest thing you have/had? How much is it worth?

MystikShadows said:
That is weird yes....is her folder inside your webspace? or does she have her own? if she has her own then they might have switched your two accounts....

I think it's just because she is considered the "owner" of my page as well as hers. My page is supposed to be a separate entity, but apparently there's some kinda glitch in charter's software or sum'n... (We used to have problems with her getting my email, and vicey-versey, but we got that all worked out somehow). Time to spend a few hours on the phone with TechSupport, I'm afraid.

--T

That LNW80 keyboard is shockingly alike a Commodore keyboard. Swap the ENTER and the two keys to its right, replace the cursor right with a bigger RESTORE key and of course dump the numeric key pad in favour for four function keys. Maybe the matrix was a standardized one which was sold to several manufacturers? I mean, many keyboards are similar but this was probably the closest match I've seen.

My IMSAI 8080... I think it's worth at least $500.... I haven't tried selling it, and I don't think I will. It doesn't work though :(

I had an Apple IIe but I stupidly sold it on eBay for like $25 and ended up paying more to ship the dang thing than I made (like $100!!) I hate selling heavy things on eBay. My next Apple II is gonna be a IIc. If any.

my rarest machine has got to be my trs-80 mc10 from what i understand it was a flop and only a few thousand were sold its in the origional box with the manuals and everything! i'm not quite sure of how much it will go for and i don't think i want to know. what do i wish i had? a MAC classic and one of the 8-bit atari's preferably the 800 or 1040ST

perhaps but i think that the 1040 was the first one with a floppy drive? If so that one was an old favorite of mine. but i like all atari's TOS was way ahead of it's time.

I'm no Atari guru neither, but I think you're correct. Basically, the letters tell you what you get: 520 or 1040 for memory size, F for built-in floppy, M for built-in RF modulator, E for the enhanced model with blitter. My brother once had a 1040STFM and upgraded to a 1040STE (which IIRC implies it also has built-in floppy and RF modulator).

And of course the floppy is 3.5".. :wink: Most references to a 3.25" disk appears to be typos, possibly mixing up with 5.25". One site even mentioned 3.25' disks. Those would be rather large to carry around, about one meter in diameter.

Via a mailing list archive on classiccmp, I found that 3.25" was a format invented by Dysan, announced as a product via Tabor TC500 in December 1982, five months ahead of Sony's 3.5" drive. They appear to be downsized versions of 5.25" disks, measurement selected to easily adopt the existing machinery. If Fred is correct about a lot of software were available on this format but only one computer actually used the disks, it seems a bit bizarre. Maybe the drives could be fitted with other computers too, but only one officially adopted it?

And of course the floppy is 3.5".. Wink Most references to a 3.25" disk appears to be typos, possibly mixing up with 5.25". One site even mentioned 3.25' disks. Those would be rather large to carry around, about one meter in diameter.

Heh, it's like those 52' bigscreen tvs I see in the classified ads in the newspaper. Where would you put such a beast? :wink:

Kent

It was a while since I took trigonometry and all that stuff, but assuming the display is 16:9, I suppose a 52 feet TV would have a display that is about 13.8 m (45'3") wide and 7.8 m (25'7") long. Add some fluff around it and.. wow. Talk about a wall TV, or more like jumbotron on a sports arena.

(Hmm.. sorry, this went out of topic, but if one had a TV like that, I'm sure it would be among the most valuable and perhaps rarest items, even if it strictly speaking would not be a computer)

Well, to try to bring it nearer to topic, just imagine playing your favorite first-person shooter or driving game on a screen like that. Talk about total immersion gaming 8)

I'm sure only the most elite including the Gates man himself could afford that beast. the rest of us would have to spend our entire life's savings, but hey its "the American Way" isn't it?

After a certain price point all you are buying is the name and the exclusivity the pricetag affords. a $50K TV is the same as a $20K TV but fewer people can afford it so its better.

TV?

TV?

After a certain price point all you are buying is the name and the exclusivity the pricetag affords. a $50K TV is the same as a $20K TV but fewer people can afford it so its better.

to each his own I guess...but is there anything worth watching on TV?

I found a TV in my garage. Left by a previous flatmate.

That works more than well enough.

Back