• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why did DOS/86 overtake CP/M-z80 ?

It was just a question about some historical events you mentioned that I wasn't aware of, that I would have assumed were approached differently.

It sounded like you were being skeptical about the ability of an 8-bit OS to be written by just one person (or a small team) for an in-the-grand-scheme-things a pretty trivial outlay of time and money because, well, making writing a DOS "hard" or "expensive" reinforces a preconceived idea that CP/M was something truly valuable and hard to achieve. (This being the case would thus add to the "mystery" of why it wasn't more popular or long lasting in the US; if writing an OS for an 8-bit computer was a million dollar affair then obviously everyone would have standardized on one thing a lot quicker and milked it for as long as possible.)

This is a point I've made over and over again: CP/M just wasn't "worth" that much once computers were selling by the thousands of units verses tens or hundreds. If you've used some non-CP/M-compatible CPU or a more cost-efficient memory map to build a home computer (which initially came with cassette storage, not disks, because disk drives cost as much as a *very decent* used car in the 1970's) it's far from the end of the world to just write your own DOS for it when the time comes...

And, frankly, if we're blunt it's not like "pure" CP/M applications were worth that much either, if we measure them by the labor necessary to reproduce something like them on a non-CP/M platform. Back in the day in the US by the early 1980's we had maybe a dozen or so 8-bit home computer platforms that could reasonably called popular enough to be considered "mainstream", and if a program was popular there'd be either a port or a clone for all of them within a few months. The TRS-80 didn't have Wordstar but it had Electric Pencil and Scripsit, the Apple II had Easy Writer... there was a really popular word processor called "SpeedScript" that started as an assembly-language type-in from "Compute!" magazine that was ported to multiple 6502 computers because it was a perfectly usable alternative to a commercial WP program... and it was a whopping 5K of code. Most action video games could easily fit in 16K computers, and a lot of really good ones were written by kids in their spare time.

Obviously times have changed: a mainstream operating system is gigabytes of code and assets, video games cost as much to make as a Hollywood movie... but yeah, it wasn't like that back then. Not only was CP/M just not that much "stuff" in terms of "how much time would it take for me to reproduce this", it was also so minimal in functionality it didn't really, in most circumstances, offer much advantage over fully proprietary OSes. It didn't enforce a standard disk format, it didn't provide for anything other than crude teletype-level I/O... I mean, it's obvious, isn't it? If programs had to be binary patched to run on whatever your terminal was and you had to use a serial cable or a modem to transfer data to someone else's computer unless it was the exact same make (and possibly even model) as yours, well, what have you gained verses being in the same situation trying to transfer a document between a TRS-80 and an Apple II?

When computers started having their memory capacities measured in hundreds of K instead of tens programs and operating systems had to grow to leverage those resources, which is where the pressure for standardization came from. Of course this process gradually weeded out the old timey proprietary computers... and this includes the ones that happened to use CP/M. Because, yes, they were still proprietary. Especially any of them that had fancy graphics and other enhancements.

It sounded like you were being skeptical about the ability of an 8-bit OS to be written by just one person (or a small team) for an in-the-grand-scheme-things a pretty trivial outlay of time and money because, well, making writing a DOS "hard" or "expensive" reinforces a preconceived idea that CP/M was something truly valuable and hard to achieve. (This being the case would thus add to the "mystery" of why it wasn't more popular or long lasting in the US; if writing an OS for an 8-bit computer was a million dollar affair then obviously everyone would have standardized on one thing a lot quicker and milked it for as long as possible.)

I'm not sure how you are reading emotions like skepticism into my tone, but I assume it's just the way it's worded... It's not my intent to infer skepticism in any event. Though I am pretty happy to find two more examples of single-person created OS.

Small teams were pretty common. As was reuse of code that offices had sitting around by single people and way back, conventional wisdom pushed by universities stated an operating system was too complex to be designed by one person. This, of course as noted many times, is not even close to true. And at the exteme end of the scale, you get Temple-OS, which pretty much is a large scale OS written by a single person... Admittedly he was motivated by god to do it - some people build boat-sized OSs and he built an ark sized OS.

But I do have an interest in locating examples of single person written OS. I joined the club only to find the clubroom empty when I got there... Now I'm trying to figure out who was there before me and take note for the next person to come along.

You appear to have deeper knowledge or better memory of the era than I do. If it bothers you when I ask further details on something you say, mention it and I'll avoid asking. If you find sharing your knowledge of that era enjoyable and have some time to indulge my questions, then please do so. It is genuinely appreciated. To that extent, if you can think of others OSs known to be single-author, I'd love to know more. Hobbiest and professional alike. I have two more to add to my list now - so I'll start recording them all.

I did find a lot of information from what you've already provided - and would like to continue to add more to it.

Thanks
David

Extending on to this topic for a perspective that didn't show up here, I was talking to a colleague on this topics and he offered a perspective that was very different as he came from a sales background in the 80s.

He said that in his opinion the reason CP/M died out so suddenly was the 8087... And that there was no equivalent for the z80. Hence once IBM's machine started to edge into one corporate area, from which it could not be dislodged, it was an instant changeout and companies were dumping their CP/M machines and CP/M spreadsheets to make the change as quickly as possible.

It was an interesting and different perspective, so he elaborated that most companies were controlled by accountants and most accountants were starting to use spreadsheets, and some of them got pretty big and could take days to calculate complex figures back then on a 5150, 5160 etc. So then they got an 8087 or 80287 and these were'nt just twice or three times as fast. They were something on the order of a *hundred* times faster. Tasks that took days now completed in less than an hour. A two-day task was now a 30 minute task, and there was no learning curve.

It was an instant improvement, and could be obtained just by switching computers.

To an accountant, buying a computer that costs twice as much to do the same thing three times as quickly doesn't make a lot of sense, buy buying a computer that costs five times as much but works a hundred of times faster is a no-brainer... The value to the company is far beyond the cost of the hardware. And that most accountants had a disproportionate influence over the choice of new computer models in their workplaces.

I didn't have time to read up on this, and I can't find this opinion anywhere else, and it was anecdotal from him selling these machines during the mid 80s. His suggestion makes a lot of sense - it would be a niche application as it had no relevance to home use, and not even to most corporate use, even when spreadsheets were involved, but if the core of the company was shifting to PCs, then way up the corporate tree they would have looked at 86 architecture very differently.

I can't find any information on 8087 sales during the 80s though, outside of anecdotal articles saying he that sales of the 8087 were very slow before the PC came out, then competitors to the IC showed up very quickly. It's an interesting perspective that would explain why there was no "hold-over" on CP/M use if the companies were suddenly forced to the 86 architectures, then desired data portability and compatibility with early DOS systems so that they could interchange data with this one business area.

Yeah, back in the early early 90's when I was doing Netware stuff and installing 3Com Etherlinks of various versions into hundreds of PCs of various ages and vintages, from original PCs abd XTs all the way to 486's it was pretty much a given that the finance people had math coprocessors. The speed improvement is indeed significant, and is very likely a factor. There were no standard math chips for Z80-land that Visicalc could work with, but with the x87 being a standard option for PC-land the software could assume that if there were a math chips it would be the x87 and would be used in a standard way.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Maybe this is a thing where it wasn't just ONE thing, but a number of things working in parallel. Compatibility, IBM brand name, math co-processor, larger documents not hindered by 64K.

Sales of the 8087 were non-existent before the IBM PC. Look up a history of IBM's APL for the IBM PC to find out how late to market the 8087 was. IBM APL was the first program that used the 8087 and sold in mid-83. Also, the early 8088 needed to be replaced in order to work with the 8087 which made IBM APL expensive.

Don't underestimate the power of the CFO. Large spreadsheets also resulted in the development of EMS.

Don't underestimate the power of the CFO. Large spreadsheets also resulted in the development of EMS.
Lotus 1-2-3, with the advertised 3-in-1 spreadsheet, database, and chart/graphing application, was THE killer app for the PC. As far as I recall, x87 support was first available in version 2.0, released in 1985.

Sales of the 8087 were non-existent before the IBM PC. Look up a history of IBM's APL for the IBM PC to find out how late to market the 8087 was. IBM APL was the first program that used the 8087 and sold in mid-83. Also, the early 8088 needed to be replaced in order to work with the 8087 which made IBM APL expensive.

Just an 8087 note: My 1000SX has had a 8087 since 1988 and it's still there. It was a gift and never really had any software to make use of it, but seemed kool back in the day.

Lotus 1-2-3, with the advertised 3-in-1 spreadsheet, database, and chart/graphing application, was THE killer app for the PC. As far as I recall, x87 support was first available in version 2.0, released in 1985.

Give it a year to take root and the popularity of the 286 and the pending 386, and it's possible that this might have been a trigger and response that flew below many techie's radar. After all, why would any self-respecting geek get involved with accounting? Outside if selling stuff to them that is. This timeline would make sense... There's no way it could be the only factor, but it definitely would feel like an insurmountable obstacle to have a business-oriented CP/M machine unable to run the main software that it's customers want in they way that they want. It would have also begun nailing the coffin for the Amstrad machines, which were then, in the end, little more than Word Processors ( though, admittedly, this is how they marketted them and I think a lot of people probably never knew they could do other things... )

Just an 8087 note: My 1000SX has had a 8087 since 1988 and it's still there. It was a gift and never really had any software to make use of it, but seemed kool back in the day.
This is how I looked at these things too, until games started to do more and more calculations...

On the other note you wrote, QuickBASIC began using the coprocessor in 1985 and Excel in 1987 challenged Lotus.

I'm not sure how you are reading emotions like skepticism into my tone, but I assume it's just the way it's worded...

I suppose I should apologize for sounding a little exasperated. I genuinely enjoy sharing whatever I can about the era you're interested in. (... And of course, everything I say should be taken with plenty of grains of salt, because my view of what was happening is certainly going to be incomplete and distorted by the point of view I was taking it in from, which was as a nerdy *kid* who devoured a lot about these new computer things but certainly wasn't working in the industry or whatever.) I think maybe I'm just getting a little frustrated that you keep coming around to inserting "CP/M" into the discourse as if it was essentially synonymous with "pre-IBM PC era computer", because, well, it just wasn't. Not in the US, and not *anywhere*, really, at least to the sort of degree it would have had to have been for your thesis to make sense.

To be clear, I'm not saying that there *wasn't* a "CP/M era", there was. In fact, if we dig deep enough I think we can make the case there were *multiple* CP/M eras. (I'll get back to this.) The mistake you keep perpetuating in this conversation is the idea that CP/M ever really represented a monolithic unified platform that can meaningfully be compared to what 80x86 ecosystem kicked off (on a wide scale) by the introduction of the IBM 5150 properly gelled into sometime around the dawn of 1984, IE, the "PC Compatible". You're working *so hard* to compare these two things as if they were apples and oranges, when really what you're comparing is apples (and not even all apples, we're pretty specific here; let's just go with Red Delicious, because it's really popular despite being kind of mediocre) and a table full of fruit salads. Not *all* fruit salads, mind you. There are lots of other fruit salads out there, made with whipped cream, sugar syrups, honey, orange juice, olive oil, Jello, you name it, but the only ones that count in your equation is the ones made with mayonnaise. Because the fruit salads are all 8-bit computers. CP/M is the mayo.

One Red Delicious apple is, outside of minor factors like size, ripeness, and whether it's already been thrown at someone at a comedy club, is interchangeable with any other Red Delicious. It's a known quantity. If you go buy a Red Delicious you know what you're getting, and any apple-related accessories like slices and peelers are going to work with it. This is the PC Compatible's deal.

On the other hand, the only thing you know when you buy a CP/M computer is you'd better like mayo, because you'll be tasting it underneath whatever Mandarin oranges and avocado slices were dumped into the bowl to make it. And the spoons you use to eat it aren't going to be compatible with your neighbor's fruit salad unless they bought it from the same store as yours. I mean, sure, I guess it's probably going to take less conversion to swap spoons than it would be for you to eat something from your other neighbor's house, IE, the guy who bought the whipped cream Ambrosia salad, but it's still almost as annoying swapping between the various manufacturers' mayo salads as the non-mayo ones...

Okay, that analogy sort of fell apart at incompatible spoons, but maybe you get the drift. In the murky origins of the First Age of Personal Computers there was no unified single standard, no One Ring to Rule them All, there was simply chaos. A "PC" was a collection of rickety circuit boards built by your local madman with his own three hands, and software consisted of novelty renditions of mediocre Beatles songs laboriously keyed into the front panel switches because that's about all you could do with it. Obviously that state of affairs didn't last and by mid-1975 If You Were a Rich Man (like the Beatles) you could have a "thing" had a keyboard and some kind of display and enough memory to run Altair 4K BASIC, and within a few months of that if you were truly in the Cadillac set you might be in the market for one of those floppy disk drives that until recently you probably needed a contract with IBM to have heard of. At this point it's around 1976 or so outside, and wouldn't you know it, it turns out that there was a guy working for Intel a couple years ago with access to a development system that cost about half the price of your house that had written an operating system for the 8080 that could, with a little work, be adapted to your Altair (if that's what you had happened to buy) and run on your disk system that now only cost about as much as your car. Hoorah! And thus the legend of CP/M being the Founding Father of PC operating systems was born because *obviously* it was immediately the one true choice for every disk-based computer made since. (Until IBM came along and ruined it, obviously.)

Again, here's the problem with view of history: Remember that part about how a CP/M compatible disk system in 1976 cost more than your car? Hard numbers for how many Personal Computers were sold prior to 1977 are pretty hard to come by, but a reasonable figure seems to be around 40,000 units, total, by the end of 1976. Optimistically around 80% of those were 8080 based, and thus at least *potentially* a target for CP/M, but it's a very certain bet that a lot fewer than 80% of those had disk drives before 1977. Meanwhile, in 1977 a funny thing happened: the "Byte Trinity" of the TRS-80, Commodore PET, and Apple II appeared, and by the end of 1977 those three systems combined sold about as many units as all S100 computers up to that point had because, well, they were immensely cheaper and far easier to use "out of the box" than just about any previous system, at least systems without disk drives. (which, again, still roughly tripled the cost of a basic computer to add them.) Now, the existence of these systems certainly didn't *stop* DRI from licensing CP/M to the companies making expensive disk based computers, since these had started finding a profitable niche selling to businesses that could afford them, and sales of these systems kept ramping up, but at a substantially slower rate than these new user-friendly toy/home computers.

Over the next couple years, of course, 1978 through 1979, these cheap computers (the sales of which were continuing to ramp up through the roof) gained the option of disk drives themselves but... funny thing here, none of these cheap computers could run CP/M, either because of using the wrong CPU or having the wrong memory map (the TRS-80's memory map with ROM on the bottom was, strictly speaking, the "right" way to make a cheap-as-possible Z80 based computer with a ROM based OS). And, wouldn't you know it, it didn't matter, all of these machines went on to be successful anyway. They in fact set a a pretty clear precedent: the things that mattered to be successful in the home computer market were price and features, not the specifics about what CPU you used or what OS it ran. The very *concept* of being "compatible" with other systems just didn't really enter into the equation; you couldn't even complain much about these systems lacking compatibility compared to the more expensive business computers, because they weren't very compatible with each other either, for all the already cited reasons. Incompatibility was the norm in the personal computer market. The fact that CP/M computers were a shade less mutually incompatible than non-CP/M computer really wasn't much of a selling point.

(I mean, sure, it wasn't *nothing*; CP/M spawned some of the first libraries of "public domain" software, a lot of which ended up being uploaded to the early public online information systems like Compuserve, but paying $6 an hour to access Compuserve with your $4,000 computer wasn't exactly mainstream, so the impact of this was pretty limited.)

With this background maybe now you can process why IBM, when vetting CPUs for the 5150, restricted themselves to 16 bit CPUs like the 8088, TMS9900, and Motorola 68000: they looked at the current state of the Personal Computer market and had the wisdom to see that compatibility didn't matter. Full stop. What mattered was price, performance, features, and value, and like it or not, the 5150, with its incompatible CPU and all, matched or beat most CP/M business machines in nearly every category, in addition to coming along with a solution to a problem that was starting to grate on 8-bit business computers, IE, the awkwardness of expanding past 64K of RAM. (Its price was too high to compete with most *home* computers initially, but the expansion of the semiconductor and computer industry eventually solved that problem.) It was in large part an accidental stroke of genius that IBM happened to blunder into commissioning an OS from Microsoft that made it extra easy for existing CP/M business software to be ported to the IBM PC, but I honestly suspect it would have been just as successful if it hadn't included that token bit of CP/M API compatibility. (Like I noted earlier, completely different APIs, or CPUs, were rarely that much of a barrier for porting the tiny programs of the 8-bit era.)

In short, CP/M never was as big a deal as you think it was. It was a significant part of computer history, yes, and it served a valuable role in developing the concept of microcomputers for business automation (vs. either the “old ways” or much more expensive minicomputers), but in the First CP/M Age it never really was a ”personal”, IE, “home” computer OS, at least in the US, with a following even remotely comparable to that of other 8-bit platforms.

Last edited:
... Anyway.

Brass tacks, I kind of think from reading your posts that maybe the reason you're getting so confused/making up this dichotomy between the US market (where CP/M really was just a business-only niche OS the entire time and never really a mainstream thing) and these computers in Japan and Europe has to do with timing: The US PC market developed a good three or four years ahead of Japan; there was a lot of pressure among the Japanese domestic manufactures to catch up, so companies there, when developing their first PCs, were highly motivated to buy whatever they could off the shelf to speed up the process, and by this point (1979-81, verses 1977) CP/M and the Z80 CPU did look like an attractive combination to just buy off the shelf and wedge into their otherwise proprietary and optimized-for-Japan hardware designs. Thus, yes, a lot more "popular" 8-bit Japanese machines had this magic combination of a Z80 CPU and CP/M. But this was genuinely just an artifact of when and why they were made, not because there was anything intrinsic about CP/M that "optimized" them. (Beyond of course dictating the memory map.) If these companies hadn't paid DRI and just, you know, did what Apple did and blew $13,000 bucks (in Yen) on a consultant for their OS it's doubtful it would have affected their success or longevity much. I firmly believe that.

Likewise, I think your view of European home computers is being heavily distorted by the Amstrad CPC series. Yes, those are CP/M machines that came out very late as CP/M machines went and lasted up until about the global heat death of 8-bit computers in general. But... have you considered the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the reason they run CP/M isn't because it was a particularly great operating system, but because it was something that Amstrad, a company whose entire existence was defined by cutting corners and manufacturing cheap crap with the maximum degree of penny-pinching possible, might have just slapped CP/M on there for the DOS because buying the rights to an operating system that dead was the cheapest, laziest option open to them? I dunno, something inside my tinfoil hat tells me this theory might just possibly add up.

He said that in his opinion the reason CP/M died out so suddenly was the 8087... And that there was no equivalent for the z80. Hence once IBM's machine started to edge into one corporate area, from which it could not be dislodged, it was an instant changeout and companies were dumping their CP/M machines and CP/M spreadsheets to make the change as quickly as possible.

Honestly, I think this theory is both right and wrong. It's true that the 8087 was a big deal, a very big deal, for number crunching and there was nothing like it that was even remotely mainstream for CP/M machines... but in the public mind the 8087 really caught fire as the *thing* to have when Lotus 1-2-3 incorporated support for it in 1985, which I think is a little too late to really talk about it being *the* nail in the coffin for CP/M machines.

However, I do think Lotus 1-2-3 is a good example even without the 8087 of why a PC completely outclassed a CP/M machine. Lotus 1-2-3 on a PC can easily handle spreadsheets over ten times larger than Visicalc on a Z80, and those spreadsheet nerds were won over by that practically overnight when it came out in 1983.

Also, the early 8088 needed to be replaced in order to work with the 8087 which made IBM APL expensive.
Actually, it didn't need to be replaced. But the early 8088 CPU (copyright dated 1979) had a bug in it that could cause memory corruption. This bug had nothing to do with the co-processor, and was fixed in the 1981 revision of the 8088, but older PCs came with the buggy '79 version in them. So to help get the newer bug-fixed 8088 into users' PCs, IBM included the updated 8088 chip along with the 8087 co-processor when you bought it, and claimed they were "paired", even though that wasn't true. They just wanted to get those old, buggy 8088s out of the user base of PCs.

My older brother tells a story about how he made back the cost of a TI PC with 1-2-3 and the printer, which was about $4000 back then I think, in 1 weekend because he could type up a proposal his real estate offer and get it in the hands of prospects (doctors and dentists who are always looking for tax deductions) before the end of the year, when the tax code was going to change. He would not have been able to move that fast in any other way.

I suppose I should apologize for sounding a little exasperated. I genuinely enjoy sharing whatever I can about the era you're interested in. (... And of course, everything I say should be taken with plenty of grains of salt, because my view of what was happening is certainly going to be incomplete and distorted by the point of view I was taking it in from, which was as a nerdy *kid* who devoured a lot about these new computer things but certainly wasn't working in the industry or whatever.) I think maybe I'm just getting a little frustrated that you keep coming around to inserting "CP/M" into the discourse as if it was essentially synonymous with "pre-IBM PC era computer", because, well, it just wasn't. Not in the US, and not *anywhere*, really, at least to the sort of degree it would have had to have been for your thesis to make sense.

Thank you for letting me know - I came in a bit late for much of the early history. The CP/M age was still with us, but buying anything more than a Sinclair was out of my range... Actually, they too were out of my range, but I was fortunate enough to know other people who had them and later got a JR-100 which is pretty simple, but a computer is a computer.

I never really got to know CP/M much in my time - it was already a dead OS even in Australia, with the exception of the Microbee ( again, a local curiousity with a big local following, and it lasted for around another 5 to 10 years like the Amstrads and PC-88's. ). Interestingly, despite using a Microbee for work every day, I don't think I ever noticed much about the CP/M operating system as within months of getting my first paying job, I saw the PC bus and jumped on. Interestingly, Microbee also tried to make an 80-something-86 machine called the Matilda which never went far. I think it also had a z80 for backwards compatability.

I take on board what you are saying about the US computer market, and it makes sense... I never got to see the US side of things, and what I could observe was late in the piece and only the shadows of what was going on at that, so I'm now trying to form an idea in my head, and it forms, reforms and so on. At some point I imagine I'll get a better idea of what things were like.

I thought I'd ask if the questions were bothing, since like probably so many people in our Industry, I'm pretty sure I'm genetically predisposed to being a little more obtuse than most, and not very good on picking up the tone of conversations, or maintaining them - so thank you for your understanding.

This thread has been quite interesting and there was much to learn. :)

I never really got to know CP/M much in my time - it was already a dead OS even in Australia, with the exception of the Microbee ( again, a local curiousity with a big local following, and it lasted for around another 5 to 10 years like the Amstrads and PC-88's. ). Interestingly, despite using a Microbee for work every day, I don't think I ever noticed much about the CP/M operating system as within months of getting my first paying job, I saw the PC bus and jumped on. Interestingly, Microbee also tried to make an 80-something-86 machine called the Matilda which never went far. I think it also had a z80 for backwards compatability.

I guess the MicroBee earned its heritage as a CP/M machine honestly, given the manufacturer's previous involvement in selling S-100 bus cards.

FWIW, there certainly were *some* people that wanted to keep their old CP/M software for a while after the PC came out in the US; plug-in Z80 cards were a thing you could buy, the 8080 backwards compatibility feature of the NEC V20 generated a little excitement, and there were even a few clones of various levels of compatibilty that had the second CPU as a standard feature. And, well, they kind of demonstrate how futile a full Z80 computer aimed at the PC price segment would have been, really; these cards were pretty cheap, and some of them could pull off some pretty neat tricks, like making your PC emulate a bunch of different terminals so you could run the specific manufacturer-tailored versions of a lot of CP/M programs without having to patch them. These of course started dying out by 1988 or so, though, because at that point you could, if you still really wanted to run that stuff, use software emulation that was as fast as the add-on card.

The Matilda is pretty neat in the sense it's the rare case of a PC that was set up to emulate a very *specific* CP/M computer that had somewhat-better-than-terminal graphics; it looks like NEC also sold a machine that was a weird PC-88/PC-98 hybrid around the same time period. But obviously things like this represented a bridge to the past, not the future, and weren't exactly mass-market products. On the business side of the equations for a while there was definitely a market for mass data conversion services, more so than there was for any system to keep running old CP/M programs themselves, and in my experience for the most part people moving to PCs from whatever their previous *home* computer was just kept the old computer around for a while so they could print out whatever they wanted to keep before chucking it in the closet. (And then they all got sold off for practically nothing at garage sales in the 1990s.)

Last edited:
I guess the MicroBee earned its heritage as a CP/M machine honestly, given the manufacturer's previous involvement in selling S-100 bus cards.
Curiously, the Micro Bee is completely unrelated to the Super Bee (a terminal made by Beehive International. Used an 8008 and shift registers. A great terminal for the time. Did Beehive ever get into the personal computer business?

It was weird that the history of Beehive International shows 3 new products introduced in 1982 along with their new factory but none of the trades seem to include the press release saying what those three products were. It seems they doubled down on terminals and low end tape drives just as the market for those imploded.

Back