• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 3.1 w/ Intel Inboard 386/PC - VxD Issue

willmurray461

Experienced Member
I know there aren't that many people that can help answer my question, but has anyone been able to get the "MS-DOS Prompt" working in Windows 3.1 on the Inboard/PC? I've gotten to the point where I can boot Win3.1 and launch all the programs, except the DOS prompt. Whenever I open a DOS .exe inside windows, I also get the same error. The error is "Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 0003, service 0013." My 3.1 installation was created by first installing 3.0 for Inboard/PC, then upgrading with 3.1, then deleting device=vpicd.386 from system.ini.

Hmmm... After doing some reading, it seems that vpicd/ibvpicd are virtual interrupt controller drivers. I had to delete the line device=*vpicd because it was conflicting with the line device=ibvpicd.386, the one supplied with the inboard version of win 3.0. However, if I delete the line with ibvpicd and replace it with the vpicd one, after the splash screen disappears, no blinking cursor will appear, and the system hangs. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that the only way to get win 3.1 fully working on the inboard would be somehow decompiling ibvpicd and then patching it to work in win 3.1...

Hmmm... After doing some reading, it seems that vpicd/ibvpicd are virtual interrupt controller drivers. I had to delete the line device=*vpicd because it was conflicting with the line device=ibvpicd.386, the one supplied with the inboard version of win 3.0. However, if I delete the line with ibvpicd and replace it with the vpicd one, after the splash screen disappears, no blinking cursor will appear, and the system hangs. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that the only way to get win 3.1 fully working on the inboard would be somehow decompiling ibvpicd and then patching it to work in win 3.1...

so you are saying that you tried *only* loading the VPICD that shipped with win 3.1 and it still crashed?

Yes. I tried all three combinations:
Win 3.1 VPICD only = System hangs after splash screen disappears.
Both = VxD conflict error.
Win 3.0 IBVPICD only = works, except until command prompt is opened.

I think the main problem with using VPICD is probably the fact that the 5150 and XT only have 1x 8259 (for 8 interrupts), but windows 3.1's VPICD assumes a system that has two for 16 IRQ's.

I'm not sure why IBVPICD only works in win 3.0 and not win 3.1, but hopefully someone with windows programming experience might be able to tell.

I wouldn't get your hopes up; you are hitting an edge case and most of the information and resources that could help you are gone. Windows 3.0 was officially supported by Intel for use with the Inboard/386, but 3.1 was not -- or, if it was, the updated IBVPICD you need is on a BBS or download site lost to time.

I remember reading another tread on vcfed where someone quoted an Intel announcement where they said that they would not produce Inboard 386/PC drivers for win 3.1... Unless there's a simple byte-swap type thing that can be done to convert a 3.0 VxD to be 3.1 compatible, I don't see this problem ever getting fixed, until maybe years from now if the windows 3.1 source gets leaked or something... Anyway, I just wanted to know if this was a problem exclusive to my setup, or something that other Inboard/Win3.1 experienced too...

I remember reading another tread on vcfed where someone quoted an Intel announcement where they said that they would not produce Inboard 386/PC drivers for win 3.1... Unless there's a simple byte-swap type thing that can be done to convert a 3.0 VxD to be 3.1 compatible, I don't see this problem ever getting fixed, until maybe years from now if the windows 3.1 source gets leaked or something... Anyway, I just wanted to know if this was a problem exclusive to my setup, or something that other Inboard/Win3.1 experienced too...

Nope, I have the same issue with my Win 3.1 DOS prompt. I installed Win 3.1 and then overlaid a group of Win 3.0 drivers from the Windows 3.0 for the Inboard 386 special Intel edition to get Win 3.1 to run in enhanced mode - which solved the keyboard lock-up issue, but not the DOS prompt issue. The drivers replaced and the lines modified are documented in another thread on the site.

Regards,
Mike

I know there aren't that many people that can help answer my question, but has anyone been able to get the "MS-DOS Prompt" working in Windows 3.1 on the Inboard/PC? I've gotten to the point where I can boot Win3.1 and launch all the programs, except the DOS prompt. Whenever I open a DOS .exe inside windows, I also get the same error. The error is "Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 0003, service 0013." My 3.1 installation was created by first installing 3.0 for Inboard/PC, then upgrading with 3.1, then deleting device=vpicd.386 from system.ini.
Hi,

I solved this by using Netroom3 from Helix software. (As a side note it also fixed my ability to play Digital Audio on my ESS1868 sound card - but broke General MIDI playback to my Dreamblaster which I am still working on.) When you find Netroom3 in the usual places, take note that the registration code is on the cover of the 3.5 disk image. Also, you need to SUBST A: to the directory you are trying to install from because it expects to come from floppy disk. If you have a HD floppy controller then no problem, just get the 1.4M file onto a disk but it has to think it is coming from the A drive for install. Lastly, when you configure you need to hit F5 quickly when it is trying to boot and put the INBOARD driver at the top of your config file. If you miss then you have to start over because once HELIX fails, then it fails. Anyway, after doing that - boom - Dos Prompt works great in Windows 3.1.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

I solved this by using Netroom3 from Helix software. (As a side note it also fixed my ability to play Digital Audio on my ESS1868 sound card - but broke General MIDI playback to my Dreamblaster which I am still working on.) When you find Netroom3 in the usual places, take note that the registration code is on the cover of the 3.5 disk image. Also, you need to SUBST A: to the directory you are trying to install from because it expects to come from floppy disk. If you have a HD floppy controller then no problem, just get the 1.4M file onto a disk but it has to think it is coming from the A drive for install. Lastly, when you configure you need to hit F5 quickly when it is trying to boot and put the INBOARD driver at the top of your config file. If you miss then you have to start over because once HELIX fails, then it fails. Anyway, after doing that - boom - Dos Prompt works great in Windows 3.1.

Thanks,

Chris
hello
exciting - hope you will share your setup settings.
Either or both a software / hardware settings may be wrong in my setup - i do also get error "device number 0003, service 0013".

Software:
What is the config.sys file containing ?
- the Netroom software is nice and perhaps it can fix all the compatibility issues ? :)
what drivers do you use in system.ini ?
.. do you also install Windows 3.0 then 3.1 upgrade ?

Hardware:
-what motherboard do you use ?
- and you use the GLaBIOS BIOS, what version ?
..i see you have 1280kb extended ram , means you have a 2Mb ram modul on your Inboard386 filled 1/2 way ?
Or perhaps the GLaBIOS fix the DOS promt issue ? :)

Would be fun to replicate your good result :)
/cimonvg

hello
exciting - hope you will share your setup settings.
Either or both a software / hardware settings may be wrong in my setup - i do also get error "device number 0003, service 0013".

Software:
What is the config.sys file containing ?

CONFIG.SYS
Code:
DEVICE=C:\INBRDPC.SYS nopause
DEVICE=C:\NETROOM\RM386.EXE AUTO NOF NOV8 NOE NOPS2
DEVICE=C:\NETROOM\XLOAD.SYS -O
DOS=HIGH
DOS=UMB
BUFFERS=15,0
files=20
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
DEVICE=C:\NETROOM\XLOAD.SYS -SB001 -M2832 C:\NETROOM\STACKS.EXE 9,256
DEVICE=C:\NETROOM\STACKS.EXE 9,256

AUTOEXEC.BAT
Code:
@echo off
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T3
C:\NETROOM\XLOAD.EXE -SB001 -M2864 C:\NETROOM\SETCFG.COM -F30
SET SOUND=C:\SB
PROMPT $P$G
PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\;C:\DOS;c:\mouse\lmouse;c:\audio\sbvgm;C:\NETROOM
set TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
rem c:\diamond\vmode MONITOR
VER
echo Shall we play a game?

- the Netroom software is nice and perhaps it can fix all the compatibility issues ? :)
what drivers do you use in system.ini ?

SYSTEM.INI
Code:
[boot]
386grabber=v7vga.3gr
oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
286grabber=vgacolor.2gr
fixedfon.fon=vgafix.fon
fonts.fon=vgasys.fon
display.drv=wspdtsf.drv
shell=progman.exe
network.drv=
language.dll=
sound.drv=mmsound.drv
comm.drv=comm.drv
mouse.drv=ibmouse.drv
keyboard.drv=ibkbd.drv
system.drv=ibsystem.drv
drivers=mmsystem.dll msmixmgr.dll
[keyboard]
keyboard.dll=
oemansi.bin=
subtype=
type=1
[boot.description]
aspect=100,96,96
displayinf=OEM0.INF
display.drv=Turbo Windows  640x480 256 col. (Small Fonts)
network.drv=No Network Installed
language.dll=English (American)
codepage=437
woafont.fon=English (437)

keyboard.typ=PC-XT 83 key keyboard
mouse.drv=Microsoft Serial, Bus or Inport
system.drv=Inboard 386/PC System
[standard]

[NonWindowsApp]
localtsrs=dosedit,ced

[mci]
CDAudio=mcicda.drv
Sequencer=mciseq.drv
WaveAudio=mciwave.drv 9
AVIVideo=mciavi.drv

[drivers]
midimapper=midimap.drv
timer=timer.drv
VIDC.MSVC=msvidc.drv
VIDC.RT21=indeo.drv
VIDC.CVID=iccvid.drv
VIDC.IV32=ir32.dll
VIDC.IV31=IR32.dll
VIDC.MRLE=MSRLE.drv
VIDC.YVU9=ir21_r.dll
WaveMapper=msacm.drv
MSACM.msadpcm=msadpcm.acm
MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadpcm.acm
Wave=sndblst2.drv
MIDI=sndblst2.drv
MIDI1=msadlib.drv

[mciseq.drv]
disablewarning=true

; The following changes were made by Customize on 01/01/80
; End of the changes made by Customize on 01/01/80
[msacm.imaadpcm]
MaxRTEncodeSetting=1
MaxRTDecodeSetting=3

[386Enh]
display=v7vdd.386
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON
EMMEXCLUDE=A000-FFFF
NOEMMDriver=True
RESERVEVIDEOROM=False
USEROMFONT=False
SYSVMIN2NDBANK=False
DUALDISPLAY=True
device=dva.386
network=*dosnet,*vnetbios
woafont=dosapp.fon
device=vtdapi.386
device=*pagefile
device=*blockdev
ebios=*ebios
keyboard=ibvkd.386
mouse=ibvmd.386
device=ibvpicd.386
device=*vtd
device=*reboot
device=ibvdmad.386
device=*vsd
device=*v86mmgr
device=*pageswap
device=*dosmgr
device=*vmpoll
device=*wshell
device=ibvhd.386
device=ibvfd.386
device=*parity
device=*biosxlat
device=*vcd
device=ibvmcpd.386
device=*combuff
device=*cdpscsi
local=CON
FileSysChange=off
PermSwapDOSDrive=C
PermSwapSizeK=4063

device=vsbd.386

device=vadlibd.386
[sndblst.drv]
port=220
int=5

.. do you also install Windows 3.0 then 3.1 upgrade ?
Yes, I installed the Inboard Windows 3.0 and then installed Windows 3.1 as an upgrade.

Hardware:
-what motherboard do you use ?
I am running on a clone Vendex 888 XT. I had to remove the CGA/Memory/Bus Mouse Port to get down to 256k RAM to be compatible. It runs at 4.77 Mhz/8.0 MHz

- and you use the GLaBIOS BIOS, what version ?

0.2.2-8T 12/9/2022 which I don't think you need 0.2.3 but can't hurt. It looks like @640KB is working on some other compatibility.

..i see you have 1280kb extended ram , means you have a 2Mb ram modul on your Inboard386 filled 1/2 way ?

MyInboard386.jpg
This is my Inboard - it felt like to me there was missing RAM but I wasn't sure. Now that you say that, it sure does look like it.

Or perhaps the GLaBIOS fix the DOS promt issue ? :)

Would be fun to replicate your good result :)
/cimonvg

Now take note that I don't have the 386 Enhanced Icon in my Control Panel so I may not have the right configuration working.

No dice. With 386 Enhanced mode enabled I get the same as others even with Netroom. Bummer.

Not sure if it’s part of the usual downloads but there were some updates posted for Netroom on vogons I bookmarked it to revisit.

They may make no difference but here they are anyway:

Might be worth applying these additionally.

Equally want to get this fixed up, working and further along :)

It was suggested that I post here- I have no clue what I did 2 years ago to get it working but I am using device=*vpicd. I definitely followed what a lot of you have already tried and maybe I got lucky. Maybe I replaced some files from 3.0 to 3.1. I know I did the upgrade on top of 3.0. I have linked an image of my 2GB CF image, hopefully this helps you all! I have an ATI Mach8 video card, you may have to re-run C:\windows\setup and remove them first.

Hardware: XT, original bios
Cards (L to R)
External CD-ROM (looks like scsi)
3COM Etherlink II TP
ATI Mach8
Inboard (With FPU and Cyrix Cx486DRx2, and my custom 4MB piggyback card)
XTIDE
Microsoft Bus Mouse

2GB CF Card Image Here

I’d also wondered if this was a hardware difference I know my attempts at running your image resulted in a blank screen trying to boot Windows. I’ve got a 5150 with original bios, I have the same Mach ATI card. I will try again but hope others in the forum can attempt it also. Also got a 4mb board of yours Cyrix cx486drx2 20/40 and the 40Mhz Oscillator (socketed) that I replaced. Be good if someone can also get your image running and we can figure out the nuance that makes your work.

My attempts also at running win32s errors in the same way for the installer as the dos prompt. Mine is a copy of nc_Mikes’ image with some parts build of my own.

I have also been doing a lot of research reaching out to many people to see if there is a way to progress the install above 3.1

Also note there is now a functional emulator written by Superfury of the Inboard 386/PC, my nagging and persistence made him reconsider visiting it again to completion :)

I’d also wondered if this was a hardware difference I know my attempts at running your image resulted in a blank screen trying to boot Windows. I’ve got a 5150 with original bios, I have the same Mach ATI card. I will try again but hope others in the forum can attempt it also. Also got a 4mb board of yours Cyrix cx486drx2 20/40 and the 40Mhz Oscillator (socketed) that I replaced. Be good if someone can also get your image running and we can figure out the nuance that makes your work.

What are the PC vs XT differences besides the slots? I've never worked with the PC, only XT.

See what happens if you run windows setup from DOS and then remove the VGA driver for windows standard one. If that doesn't work, use volkov commander (in my image) to edit a new autoexec and config.sys with minimal startup and drivers/etc.

What are the PC vs XT differences besides the slots? I've never worked with the PC, only XT.

See what happens if you run windows setup from DOS and then remove the VGA driver for windows standard one. If that doesn't work, use volkov commander (in my image) to edit a new autoexec and config.sys with minimal startup and drivers/etc.
Also be good to know the XT IDE Rom you use, there are multiple including v20 and some support AT which may add additional supported instructions. It maybe differences there. But yep will have a look :)

Tried both these. Got Windows booting in standard but with win /3 the screen goes black and machine unresponsive..

win /b not writing to a boot log.

Perhaps in standard mode (win /s) I could remove some components I don’t have (I did this manually through the ini files) see if it gets further.

Also may reuse my working CF card I use for my regular build (I have an image already) Not all CF cards are equal - the one I was trying with occasionally would disappear on boot from XTIDE a reboot would fix..

Interestingly it’s one that will work without additional power in the CF adapter whereas my usual one needs power via a floppy berg. (I see this also on a smaller capacity CF in my 5155 that it doesn’t draw additional power)

Also yet to try other xtide roms..

Next on the list.

Also it’s worth pointing out you are using the IBM value point install of Win 3.1 in case there are some differences in that build - not sure if everyone is using the vanilla Win 3.1 build ?

Back