XT IDE Ordering interest? (Was: Xt-ide

Votes: 59 52.7%

Votes: 38 33.9%

Votes: 8 7.1%

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 5+ (please post how many below)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
If your email field says "-contacted-" then you should add yourself to the bottom of the list again, otherwise you can change the columns for your order anytime and I'll get to you when I get to you.

Has anyone else found any kitting errors that you can't work around?

I'm nearly finished kitting up all the parts, and have noticed that I'm missing 11 of the tiny caps, so either jameco shorted me, or I have given extras of them out to a few people by accident. I appear to have 1 extra of the single resistor, so I likely shorted someone there. I have not gotten through the sockets and IC kitting yet to know how the other parts have come out. Trying to be accurate, but wow, is this a PITA. Please be gentle with me if you find something missing.

Hey Hargle...

remind me again... who did you use for a PCB prototyping/fab house? This project has inspired me to get off my duff and start a design I've been rattling around in the back of my head for a while now.

pcbcart.com

they're in china. overall pretty cheap and I think the quality was just fine. can order with any credit card, they ship via fedEX and went really smooth overall. Andrew generated all the tool and layout files that they needed; I was just the middle man ordering and funding it.

For another project idea, there has been some interest in making a superIO card based off a part like this:
http://www.smsc.com/index.php?tid=255&pid=183

I'm very familiar with software access to these parts; it's easy. This chip isn't anywhere near home hobbiest friendly, but is virtually everything we need in 1 chip. Just hook up a 16k ROM to it for BIOS/bootable support and off we go. There are a couple users here who can do the soldering/assembly.

Not sure I want to really take on another project, but I will gladly cheerlead for anyone who wants to do the next one!

As a side note, my two cards (overseas order) arrived yesterday. I'm in the middle of assembling the first one, so I'll report any results in the other thread later.

is this controller card ready to be ordeed? i got an email from someone for requesting a $40.00 paypal payment and i was wondering if this is what it was for . .. please advise.

thanks!

cntheburg@aol.com

Please respond so we can get an idea of how many cards we will need to come up with when we are ready to offer the final product.

No dates have been finalized, but answer this question as if it were to be released by Christmas.

Edit: Here is the wiki page on the card.

I just added myself to the spreadsheet for a single XT IDE DIY kit and Keyboard Converter. Are there enough parts left in stock or will I have to wait for the next run?

I just added myself to the spreadsheet for a single XT IDE DIY kit and Keyboard Converter. Are there enough parts left in stock or will I have to wait for the next run?

I don't know.
We ordered 100 of everything because that was slightly over the amount that people indicated they were interested in buying. The spreadsheet now says that 110 cards are wanted, even though the poll indicated that 100 cards was almost 20 over the demand. Likewise with the keyboard adapters. I got 25 of them when only 6 people told me they were interested in getting one, now they are almost all gone.

Some people aren't coming through with their order, so there will likely be some slack as we get to the bottom of the list. All I can say is we'll see, and be ready to pay when your invoice comes through.

Not a problem. I'm ready to pay now, and if it's possible to jump in line before a possible dead-beat who hasn't followed through just send an invoice and you'll receive a payment in less then 5 minutes. ;)

Hey Hargle...

I just got my XTIDE kit in the mail, thanks!

I did run into a couple of kitting problems... depending on how you look at it, I was either short a socket, or I had the wrong one. I was short a 14 pin socket, and instead had a 16 pin socket. I presume that the 16-pin socket may have been for the DIP switches, but I soldered them in directly. The 14 pin I probably could have subbed out of my spare parts, but I just removed the two end connectors of this one and used it instead. ;)

I am missing an LS245 in the parts. I'll have to check to see if I've got some spares I can use for that. Otherwise, it looks really good. I've got everything soldered onto the board... took me about 45 minutes or so do do it all. We'll see how well I did once I put the 245 in. :)

I received my kit today and spent about an hour building it. It worked perfectly on the first attempt. I'm currently using it in a 'B' model 5150 and it works very nicely...I'll be converting it to compact flash shortly. The BIOS on this card is really neat, great job guys!

The only small complaint I have is that I was shorted a 47uF capacitor in my kit, but thankfully I had a spare lying around.

I was short a 14 pin socket, and instead had a 16 pin socket.
I presume that the 16-pin socket may have been for the DIP switches, but I soldered them in directly. The 14 pin I probably could have subbed out of my spare parts, but I just removed the two end connectors of this one and used it instead. ;)
the dips are not socketed. I think this is the 2nd person I've shorted a 14 and added a 16, which is most certainly going to cause trouble for the people who need 16's and get 14s. sorry in advance.

I am missing an LS245 in the parts. I'll have to check to see if I've got some spares I can use for that. Otherwise, it looks really good. I've got everything soldered onto the board... took me about 45 minutes or so do do it all. We'll see how well I did once I put the 245 in. :)

wow, that's REALLY bad of me. I'm very sorry about that-must have been one of those "get a phone call in the middle of the kitting process" events.
If you can't find a 245, let me know and I will send out a replacement immediately.

Also, apologies to AC for shorting him the cap. wow. three mistakes in 2 posts, in a row. I'm shamed.

-------------------

There is a slight shipping delay at the moment as I have not received the parts that jameco shorted me yet. It's been 8 days since I reported it, I'd think they could have gotten something here by now, but I'm sure they sent them the slowest possible method.

I don't think I will be ordering from jameco ever again.

Just now stumbled over this project, . . . cool stuff!
Immediatly signed up for 3 cards in your spreadsheet.

Hope I'm not to late.

wow, that's REALLY bad of me. I'm very sorry about that-must have been one of those "get a phone call in the middle of the kitting process" events.
If you can't find a 245, let me know and I will send out a replacement immediately.

Also, apologies to AC for shorting him the cap. wow. three mistakes in 2 posts, in a row. I'm shamed.

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. This is quite a project you've committed yourself to, and most of us who signed up knew that this was supposed to be a small scale experimental non-profit operation and that things were bound to not go entirely smoothly, especially in a first run.

For what it's worth, I'd just like to say you've been doing an awesome job on this impressive and exciting project! You deserve a bit of appreciation and encouragement for your efforts, and the same goes for all the others who have invested part of their precious free time in this venture. :thumbsup:

And for what it's worth: I for one am not in a hurry to receive my kit. If it takes a bit longer to get the deliveries right, that's okay.

(Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that too loudly... :stupid: )

Anyway, we should all remember (you included, hargle ;) ), that we're doing this for fun. It's not supposed to become a tedious time-consuming chore.

Last edited:
And for what it's worth: I for one am not in a hurry to receive my kit. If it takes a bit longer to get the deliveries right, that's okay.

(Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that too loudly... :stupid: )

LOL, I guess I wrote that too soon! My kit arrived today. I'm looking forward to assembling it. :D

... wow. three mistakes in 2 posts, in a row. I'm shamed. ...
I agree that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, IMHO you are doing a bangup job!

I (and others I'm sure) appreciate all the effort you and everyone else that made this project come together put in.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure there's bound to be a mistake here and there. I'll have a look through my collection of spare parts and see if I can locate one.

I want to echo what others have said too.. Kudos for sticking your neck out on this project and making it happen! It's great that we've got some new hardware for our old dinosaurs to play with. :) Maybe next time around I can help out with some design work (I do embedded programming for a living).

Back