• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Keenerb - you need to run XTIDECFG against one of the bin files to set up the options etc before writing out to flash.

Re hosting; this has taken a back seat because the Google code site was available read-only for ages so it wasn't such an issue. The plan is to move it private hosting, which is in progress though, I'll see this gets running shortly.

Keenerb - you need to run XTIDECFG against one of the bin files to set up the options etc before writing out to flash.

Re hosting; this has taken a back seat because the Google code site was available read-only for ages so it wasn't such an issue. The plan is to move it private hosting, which is in progress though, I'll see this gets running shortly.

xtidecfg doesn't prompt me with an option to config the rom when I load one of these compiled bin files. I just get flash/write file out to original location.

Here's the file that was compiled:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y467nkq8xyc6af/ide_xt_o.bin?dl=0

In a hex editor it looks good.

Does the ROM have an internal checksum or anything that needs to be updated?

Last edited:
The plan is to move it private hosting, which is in progress though, I'll see this gets running shortly.

Keep in mind that private hosting often follows the maintainer, putting it somewhere like GitHub means it will at least still be fork-able as long as GitHub continues to exist. I had some measure of difficulty in finding the XT-IDE rev 2 schematics/board layouts when I started working on rev 3.

To be clear, the private hosting relates to the BIOS code, not the PCB of similar name.

Hosting on github was discussed a long while back and the developers didn't want it there, I can't remember why though.

It ought to be publicly available.

The software is GPLv2 licensed anyway, if it's not on github it has to be available SOMEWHERE for people who download the binaries.

It ought to be publicly available.

Hopefully it will be again, be it on github or somewhere else, but that's up to the project owner / developers.

The software is GPLv2 licensed anyway, if it's not on github it has to be available SOMEWHERE for people who download the binaries.

It's Free software, All good things come to an end eventually, hopefully not in this case though.

Private hosting as in not on another public code site. It doesn't mean it will be inaccessible!

OK so maybe I'm missing this bit:

Strawberry Perl is required to execute optional scripts when building XTIDE Universal BIOS. Scripts include string compression (not needed unless you modify the sources) and checksum calculation. Just run the Strawberry Perl installer with default settings.

I notice there's a byte at the end of the bios that's always different between builds. I think that must be my problem.

The wiki says you can use the xtidecfg utility to generate this checksum, but the xtidecfg program only lets you append the checksum AS part of flashing the rom.

HOWEVER, xtidecfg doesn't support the flash chip the xt-cf board uses, which is http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...virtualkey57940000virtualkey804-39SF010A7CPHE

I'll see if installing strawberry perl and getting that checksum generated works...

Code:
All done!
checksum: Build/ide_tiny.bin: 3991 bytes before, 8192 bytes after
checksum: Build/ide_xt.bin: 6499 bytes before, 8192 bytes after
checksum: Build/ide_xtp.bin: 6268 bytes before, 8192 bytes after
checksum: Build/ide_at.bin: 6950 bytes before, 8192 bytes after
checksum: Build/ide_xtl.bin: 9168 bytes before, 12288 bytes after
checksum: Build/ide_xtpl.bin: 8919 bytes before, 12288 bytes after
checksum: Build/ide_atl.bin: 9788 bytes before, 12288 bytes after
checksum: Build/ide_386.bin: 7025 bytes before, 8192 bytes after

OK that looks a lot better. Off to flash.

*edit*

Looks like it worked this time. Yay. Added a few lines to disable the my Tandy 1000TL's floppy drive, recompiled, and it works like a charm. Had to recompile the xtidecfg tool as well, an older version wouldn't work with the new rom.
*/edit*

Last edited:
I don't believe you can anymore.

TortoiseSVN reports "/svn path not found" when I try to check out https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn

Yep, it looks like they finally pulled the plug.

Code:
C:\xt-ide\xt-ide build\source-archive_original\xtideuniversalbios\trunk\XTIDE_Universal_BIOS>mingw32-make all
Deleted "(*.*)" from "Build/"
* Tiny XT version "Build/ide_tiny.bin" built.
* Small XT version "Build/ide_xt.bin" built.
* Small XT Plus version "Build/ide_xtp.bin" built.
* Small AT version "Build/ide_at.bin" built.
* Small 386 version "Build/ide_386.bin" built.
All small binaries built!
* Large XT version "Build/ide_xtl.bin" built.
* Large XT Plus version "Build/ide_xtpl.bin" built.
* Large AT version "Build/ide_atl.bin" built.
All large binaries built!
All done!

05/13/2016  11:53 AM    <DIR>          .
05/13/2016  11:53 AM    <DIR>          ..
03/17/2016  01:03 PM    <DIR>          .svn
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             7,025 ide_386.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,606,661 ide_386.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             6,950 ide_at.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,620,279 ide_at.lst
05/13/2016  11:53 AM             9,788 ide_atl.bin
05/13/2016  11:53 AM         2,017,966 ide_atl.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             3,987 ide_tiny.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,311,821 ide_tiny.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             6,495 ide_xt.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,590,468 ide_xt.lst
05/13/2016  11:53 AM             9,164 ide_xtl.bin
05/13/2016  11:53 AM         1,935,491 ide_xtl.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             6,264 ide_xtp.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,584,074 ide_xtp.lst
05/13/2016  11:53 AM             8,915 ide_xtpl.bin
05/13/2016  11:53 AM         1,929,097 ide_xtpl.lst

I haven't altered the source at all. I've installed mingw and nasm.

It's not building an 8kb/12kb file, and the files it is building aren't working on my CF adapter.

Any idea what's up?

I think the only source I have available (since I can't use SVN to check out a specific version) is simply broken...

Looks fine to me except there shouldn't be a .svn directory in the Build directory. I'm guessing the Build directory doesn't exist? The file sizes, as you know by now, will be correct if you run 'make checksum' or open the files with XTIDECFG and then save them back to disk.

I notice there's a byte at the end of the bios that's always different between builds. I think that must be my problem.
Yes, that's the checksum byte.

The wiki says you can use the xtidecfg utility to generate this checksum, but the xtidecfg program only lets you append the checksum AS part of flashing the rom.
It will also generate the checksum when you save the file back to disk.

HOWEVER, xtidecfg doesn't support the flash chip the xt-cf board uses, which is http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...virtualkey57940000virtualkey804-39SF010A7CPHE
Flash programming support is on my wishlist of features to be added to XTIDECFG. It irks me that people can't use a single tool to program all the supported hardware.

Don't like bumping old threads, but this looks like the place I should report a minor issue I had.

AT version of XTIDE, 2.0 beta 3, Toshiba T5200/100, Conner CP30174E. IRQ 14, Block Mode enabled, LBA set to "NORMAL" manually.
Drive detected, but would not boot. Booting from floppy gave me complete/perfect access to the drive, I could copy software on to it and run it - but no boot. I repartitioned, checked it was active, formatted /S - no matter what I did I always got the "Non System Disk or Disk Error" you get from a blank floppy etc On one occasion the computer was non-responsive and required a power off afterwards.

Went back to XTIDE 1.1.5, and the drive booted straight in to MS DOS.

Same hardware was used in both scenarios. ROM address was D200 and I'd disabled EMS/Shadow in the BIOS.

Was this ever resolved?

Thanks Krille.

I figured out I needed to run the make checksum option eventually. It didn't seem to be all that clear that it was an absolutely REQUIRED part of the process when following the build instructions.

I also was using an older version of xtidecfg which didn't seem to recognize the bios as valid at all, and wouldn't create the checksum when I saved back to disk.

It's working quite well now, though.

Was this ever resolved?

Sorry I've had a lot of repairs/hauls/building going on so haven't tested out the latest 2.x revision (which I assume would be required before anyone looks in to it).
Since it was working with 1.15 I'd already screwed the machine back up at the time. I just wanted to report it in case it was useful to someone.

Happy to do more testing later on when I've got more time.

Any one else running C/H/S ?

Bah, ignore this message.

I managed to overwrite my copy of sergery's high-density floppy BIOS with the xt-ide bios, so I was writing two copies of the ide bios to flash instead of fdc + ide.

Last edited:
Back