• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Ok so how do I make this work?!
Do I need to configure the image before writing it?
I thought there would be a generic image that would work with a default setting or so..
BTW I probably meant SW 2.2 not 2.1 (eeprom write)
I also tried the .bin in the malinov page (27c64 again)
I clearly don't know what I am doing with this thing..

Ok so how do I make this work?!
Do I need to configure the image before writing it?
See notes 2 and 3 at [here].

So you will:
1. Fetch ide_xt.bin (fits into an 8KB EPROM/EEPROM), then;
2. Run XTIDECFG.COM, then;
3. [XTIDECFG.COM] Import ide_xt.bin, then;
4. [XTIDECFG.COM] Verify that the device type is set to 'XTCF PIO' (i.e. the type that the XT-CF-Lite V4.1 is), then;
5. [XTIDECFG.COM] Either
- Create a new bin file then use an EPROM programmer to write the new bin file to the 28C64 EEPROM (or 27C64 EPROM), or
- If XTIDECFG.COM is running on the target computer, write the new configuration directly to the 28C64 EEPROM on the XT-CF-Lite V4.1

The above assumes that you have the card's I/O address selection switches at their default of 300h. If they are not set to 300h, then that is an additional thing that you need to configure within XTIDECFG.COM

I also tried the .bin in the malinov page (27c64 again)
I brought out my 'Sergeys XT-CF-Lite V4.1' card.
The card's switches are at their defaults.
I then downloaded the bin file that you referred to (IDE_XT.BIN near the bottom of [here]).
Using my EPROM programmer, I put the contents of IDE_XT.BIN into a 2764 EPROM.
I then put that 2764 into my XT-CF-Lite V4.1
I powered on the computer and saw the XUB banner/splash screen get displayed, and saw the XUB detect the CF card.
Clearly, that bin file is suitable 'out-of-the-box' for the XT-CF-Lite V4.1

(Quite an old version of the XUB, 2013-04-03.)

So, is this pointing to a construction problem on your card (the BIOS ROM part).

On your vintage computer, try running the RAYXTIDE program at [here] and see what it reports.
With the switches on your XT-CF-Lite V4.1 at the defaults, RAYXTIDE should report that the XUB was found at D0000.

Soldering is fine ...
Assuming a construction problem, a check is to verify that the SIP resistor packs (RR1 and RR2) got inserted in the correct orientation.

Finally got around to updating the firmware on my pearsons 32/64k rom board, works great! Now if only I knew the jumper settings for addresses...

Thanks for the help modem7.
Just resetting the switches did the trick for me.
I really didn't do anything different other than that.

I finally got the splash screen and the CF card is detected (Master at 300h:CF card)
I had a DOS 6.22 installation there that works under virtualbox but I probably need the MBR trick since it doesn't boot..
I followed this guide to make the DOS installation on the CF card.

Last edited:
I downloaded most everything a few days ago, let me see if it will allow it as attachments...

EDIT: Success! Heres the latest beta I believe. Good thing im a pack rat. :)

Attachments

• XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0b3+ (2021-12-16).zip
    75.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Bro that beta is from 2013 lol, development has been ongoing for years on the new website - the current version is 2021/2

I downloaded most everything a few days ago, let me see if it will allow it as attachments...

EDIT: Success! Heres the latest beta I believe. Good thing im a pack rat. :)
I should have looked more carefully before replying - this is indeed the latest release that twolazy has attached.

Whoever decided to name every subsequent release 2.0.0b3 for the next EIGHT YEARS should really rethink their choices in life

Had me do a double take there a sec... All good! Glad I could help. Hopefully the site will be back up soon, till then at least we have a copy. =)

Heres a copy of the last 2 non beta? that I have, not sure if they are beta or not... R601 and R602

Attachments

• XTIDE Universal BIOSv1 R601 (2019-02-14).zip
    76.6 KB · Views: 2
  • XTIDE Universal BIOS v1 R602 (2019-05-09).zip
    76.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The XUB site went down about 6 months ago for a week or so and came back up so let's see what happens before folk start throwing odd revisions on github as it's just going to end up a complete mess. I believe the DEV's didn't want to host the XUB on github but can't remember why now.

The server the XUB site is on is hosted by lo-tech, I've sent james an email incase he is unaware.

Back